Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Only get a kfc commercial.  Says link failed.  After commercial it just ends.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only get a kfc commercial.  Says link failed.  After commercial it just ends.
View Quote

cough cough cough, LOL that is freaking hilarious!!!

Here, try this again....sorry for the hassles...

e1VG4n-2eDk&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll have to try on my home computer.  Phone don't like it.  No hassle.  Just want to see pigs die.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is some more thermal footage of another one of the hogs we shot after messing around with the Presets and InstaAlert a bit before pulling the trigger

v6y6izEij1s&feature=youtu.be

Shot 1.5" low, hog died under feet.....
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Home Computer works much better.  What was the little critter following that boar??  Did not even phase it when you shot.  Looked kind of like a really young piglet.  Very cool video but I miss the Tunes
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Home Computer works much better.  What was the little critter following that boar??  Did not even phase it when you shot.  Looked kind of like a really young piglet.  Very cool video but I miss the Tunes
View Quote

That was a tiny suckling pig, I think we killed the sow last week and there were three or four suckling pigs left over that got away. He was trying to get a teat off the dead boar with no success.....

He would need to be bottle fed and have been through all that too many times so just left him for the coyotes....
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't blame you there.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Some Thermal Hogs!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#9]
They are dropping like flies around here!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I like your flyswatter better though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Here is some more thermal footage of another one of the hogs we shot after messing around with the Presets and InstaAlert a bit before pulling the trigger

v6y6izEij1s&feature=youtu.be

Shot 1.5" low, hog died under feet.....
View Quote

By chance was this footage taken through an RS that has had the recent image quality update applied?  Perhaps it is just due to the closer range, but that is the cleanest looking footage I've seen online to come out of one of those.  Cool videos, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes, the recent RS update changes it into a new scope, no more whiteout when looking at the sky.

In fact you can use InstaAlert to look for coons up in trees now (they stand out like a sorethumb) without having to worry about the subzero temps in the sky washing out the view.

Also, there are three different presets you can change to set the reference point to center of view, lower quadrant, or the entire view to keep the heat signature maximized.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Just in case anyone is wondering how thermals perform during daylight hours. I was out putting corn in my feeder today and downloading game cam photos when I spied a nice boar in the thick woods. Stalked him out and gave him an earshot @ 150 yards with my old SIG 556 and RS64-35mm black hot, DRT.

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:53:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Thermal turns swine into sausage grind.

Both Night and Day!

Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Here is a prototype ThermBrite Hog Thermal target, coyote one is very nice too:

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Odd looking hog in trap this morning?

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#20]
This hog hunt was kinda fun and easy!

A lady had called us up and asked us about taking out a hog that was ripping up her backyard, her motion lights were coming on between 1-3AM.

She lived in a high end neighborhood and wanted us to trap it but we told her we had suppressors and it would be easier to shoot it since we knew the right time to be there.

A game warden friend of ours had been out at her house trying to take out this hog three times at night, but he only had a PVS-7 to see him and Red LED light to try to get him in the dark.

We had been at work all day Friday, so took a nap and ate dinner, rendezvous at her house was midnight, we brought some chairs to setup in her backyard and wait for the boar to show, ready for a long night.

I had the helmet mount Flir M-24 thermal and as soon as I put it on and walked around her house, there was the boar in her backyard rooting it up.

Stalked in to 75 yards and put one in his ear with the FLIR T-70 and he collapsed and went down immediately right in his tracks, DRT.

We could see her in her house watching TV through the panoramic glass windows, so gave her a call and told her to come out. She could not believe the boar was dead, she never ever heard the shot and he was laying 50 feet out from her recreation room!

Needless to say, she was impressed and we have a new customer to take care of....

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that's how to do it right there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#22]
What was even weirder is that when she came out and I introduced myself to her in the dark, I recognized her name and knew her husband.

He was a retinal electrophysiologist that I have worked with in the past a couple of decades ago and went to his funeral five years ago when he passed in his laboratory at work in the hospital from a heart attack. I was so taken back and felt so bad about it. But she said she is engaged to a good friend now that she has known since she was 6 years old and sounded very upbeat, so I was happy to hear that.

We left my house at 11:15PM to head out to her property, drove down a long two lane country road 10 miles to get to her house, parked, got out, turned on the thermals and the dead hog pic was taken at 11:52! It was super dark and overcast, no moon or stars at all.

Doesn't get much better than that!
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Skull pile keeps on growing....

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Sweet, reminds me of an Arnold movie.  Title even fits,  gonna have to start calling you "Predator".
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Lady Luck Strikes again!

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Great Going Grandpa.  When you gonna let her shoot one??  Or did she pop this one??
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Great Going Grandpa.  When you gonna let her shoot one??  Or did she pop this one??
View Quote

She needs a little more trigger time but it won't be long, at least she actively participates in all the hunts (at night too) and all the clean-ups!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Gonna be a great little Hunter!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Fat sow took a Barnes 70 grain to the neck at 125 yards.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I can smell the sausage from here.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Every sow I have seen lately is either PG or has a bunch of tiny piglets on the ground....
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Well if you get an when the're young or unborn you can wipe out a bunch with one shot.  Good shoot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Came up on a sounder with three sows and about 20 piglets in dense woods after dark tonight in a thunderstorm.

Stalked them out about a half mile and was able to get a head shot @ 125 yards on this one shoat, DRT.

Will have to try them again this weekend:

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#34]
One by one gets the job done, normally.  With pigs they breed fasterebthan most can keep up with.  Still any progress is good progress.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Was cruising out to a stand in the UTV with the FLIR M-324 on right after sundown and saw a large group of hogs cross the road about a 1/4 ahead. Stopped and stalked them out in some thick brush about 50 yards in the woods, there were some big ones but I shot the first one I was able to get in the crosshairs of the T-70 and took out his backbone, the others all snorted at me and took off...nice snacker!

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#36]
That looks like a whole pig bbq there.  Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Hog hunts getting interesting!

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Fake can or sbr?  An sbr would be great with a good can, thwack thwack....
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#40]
That Kriss Vector .45 carbine has a fake can, but with a new threaded barrel it will be quite the quiet gentleman hog killer!
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#41]
After reading this entire thread I've never been so mad at myself for leaving Florida! I gotta admit I'm crazy jealous of your hog hunting potential down there.  I miss all the wildlife I had access to back then not just on land but in the water also.  If I had the money I'd be moving right now to a more "country" location.  I've given city life a try and I've come to absolutely despise it.  There's nothing more relaxing than to wake up every morning and see the deer and every other kind of  critter having their breakfast around the house.  Having the ability to go out onto your own property and provide the healthiest meat available for the family.  Alas, now I'm disabled and unable to afford any chance of getting back to the country.  Parents should teach their to not only stay away from smoking and drugs but also to stay away from cities, it's a terrible place to spend the rest of your life.  I don't understand why anyone would want to live in a city, it's a horrible place.

I have no idea why I've spent so much effort acquiring a small arsenal of hog (and other critters) hunting guns, just in case I ever got the chance to get out of here I guess.  As nearly impossible as it would be to afford to get a place out in the country with a modest amount of land to hunt, I always keep that little bit of hope.  Until then I live vicariously through the pics and videos I see online.  Teach your kids to stay out of cities! The country is the only place to live

So, I have some questions.  I see that some of the pics show rifles with a scope and what looks like a thermal unit in front of it and some pictures show what looks like just a thermal unit.  Whats the difference between the two?  What kind of a setup would you recommend for a rifle?  I'm not buying any time soon, I'm just trying to stay current on what is what.  I've got a Colt LE6920 with an ACOG/RMR and a Crimson Trace MVF-515 light/laser, an 18" 6.5 Grendel with a long range Vortex scope and a .50 Beowulf with a Leupold VX-R HOG scope.  I'm guessing a thermal would work just as well on any of them.  Which thermal would you recommend and why?
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]
I know what you mean, I moved out of the city after finishing up graduate school in molecular genetics 35 years ago, best move I ever made! I try to visit as little as possible and enjoy the sunrises and sunsets each day being a temporary steward of the land. No one owns the land, the land owns you.

Here is an HK MR556 with a Truijicon ACOG TA02 and RMR09 with a FLIR T-70 Clip-On thermal in front of the day optic. The FLIR T-50, T-60, T-70 and T-75 are all standalone thermal weapon scopes with internal 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO ballistic reticules that work easy as Clip-On thermals since they are specifically collimated to both ACOG and ELCAN scopes. All of these FLIRs mentioned above are warranted for use on .50 cal BMG:

I have six FLIR Clip-On scopes and love them as they are easy to lend out to friends, just put them on the rail, cowitness the internal reticules in 5 seconds, and ready to roll at night. I prefer clip-ons myself as I can transfer them among my various rifles in a hearbeat and be ready to go in an instant.

The other scopes I use are dedicated thermal weapon scopes, like the FLIR RS64-35 and the IR Defense MKII which are max rated for .308/7.62mm:

Thermals will work 24/7/365 but are better at night in cooler less humid weather conditions. A dedicated thermal weapon scope is better off sticking onto one rifle permanently once you get it dialed in.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I know what you mean, I moved out of the city after finishing up graduate school in molecular genetics 35 years ago, best move I ever made! I try to visit as little as possible and enjoy the sunrises and sunsets each day being a temporary steward of the land. No one owns the land, the land owns you.

Here is an HK MR556 with a Truijicon ACOG TA02 and RMR09 with a FLIR T-70 Clip-On thermal in front of the day optic. The FLIR T-50, T-60, T-70 and T-75 are all standalone thermal weapon scopes with internal 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO ballistic reticules that work easy as Clip-On thermals since they are specifically collimated to both ACOG and ELCAN scopes. All of these FLIRs mentioned above are warranted for use on .50 cal BMG:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/HK%20Hog10/HK%20Hog%2010.jpg

I have six FLIR Clip-On scopes and love them as they are easy to lend out to friends, just put them on the rail, cowitness the internal reticules in 5 seconds, and ready to roll at night. I prefer clip-ons myself as I can transfer them among my various rifles in a hearbeat and be ready to go in an instant.

The other scopes I use are dedicated thermal weapon scopes, like the FLIR RS64-35 and the IR Defense MKII which are max rated for .308/7.62mm:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20RS/RS64%20Day%20Boar/RS%20Day%20Boar%20Grass.jpg

Thermals will work 24/7/365 but are better at night in cooler less humid weather conditions. A dedicated thermal weapon scope is better off sticking onto one rifle permanently once you get it dialed in.

View Quote

If the T-70 and such are all stand alone scopes, what's the advantage of using it in front of the scope like in your photo?  

The big one in the bottom pic that says "FLIR" is the one I most commonly see being used.  How does it compare function wise with the clip on ones like those in the upper photo?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:10:49 PM EDT
[#44]
The FLIR T-series scopes are basically Clip-Ons that can also be utilized in standalone mode with their internal reticules.

The T-70 is unique in that it has a wide FOV 0.5X mode, which I personally prefer, the T-60 also has this mode, but the T-50 and T-75 lowest power is 1.0X.

The big one at the bottom is the Flir RS63-35mm, is basically is the civilian version of the mil-spec T-70 and performs very similar with a nice FOV.

Using my T-70s with my 4X ACOGs, I can use 2X, 4X, and 8x. Using the standalone RS64-35 you can also use 1X, 2X, 4X, 8x.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Two nice Piney Woods Rooters head shot at 150 yards in the rain at night with the T-70, both dropped dead in their tracks!

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#47]
For some reason Skypup's pictures are not showing up any more with his last 2 postings
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For some reason Skypup's pictures are not showing up any more with his last 2 postings
View Quote

???? I can see them just fine. Did you update your antivirus software or your settings?
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Just updated firefox awhile back. Other than that no

I can see pictures in all of the other threads I subscribe to just fine.

I don't know ????????
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:12:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Pics are working for me, sorry to hear something is amiss.

We had a fun time on this hunt in spite of the wicked heat and humidity and rain that keep us hot and soaking.

Had never been to this spot before and arrived at sundown in the pouring rain, 95*F, 100+% humidity and rain with loads of mosquitoes, it was a bitch just being there....

But no sooner had we gotten setup and it turned dark, three hogs came out of the dense forest on the far side of the opening we were in and I watched them approach with the FLIR LS-XR handheld thermal on Setting #4 InstaAlert. Difficult to see the horizon in the monothermal rain but the hogs stood out like a sore thumb all lite up bright red.

One fat sow (later confirmed to be gravid with 11 feti) broke off from the other two and came to within 150 yards of us, put the crosshairs of the ACOG TA02 through the FLIR T-70 on her neck and pulled, she looked like she had the rug pulled out from under her and down she went without a move, DRT.

Other two boars split but came back out of the woods about 45 minutes later. Watched them come out into the open about 150 yards out in pouring rain and mosquitoes, took a bead right behind his ear and dropped him in his tracks, flipped him over and he kicked a few times and lights out MF!

Made it back to the farm about 1AM and cleaned up both hogs and put them into the cooler at 2AM, had to take a shower before getting into bed, soaked to the bone and stinking filthy....

Will check this place out again next weekend, seems to be pretty well rooted out all around all the grand live trees, lots of hog sign evident all over the place.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top