Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2013 11:04:01 PM EDT
Finally, night time killing is legal again in Louisiana.

JPIII and I got three, I hit a fourth but never found the body.  It was hovering around freezing so I think most pigs stayed home except for the few lonely boars we ran into. I went out again the next night with my brother but it was even colder and not a pig to be seen.  Flying RC airplanes with fingerless gloves in freezing temps is kinda shitty.  I'll post video later maybe (I still haven't edited down video from visiting dehoginator), so for now pics.

First pigger.  He was a pretty hefty guy.  First shot broke both front legs and clipped his heart just a bit.  He danced around for a few seconds while JPIII pew pew pew'd subsonics at him with this AR pistol.  

Thermal screengrabs make for some pretty epic photos.

The spot you see on his cheek is the exit wound from the final coup de grace shot. (I think)

Notice that it is so cold that I'm actually wearing boots!

I felt bad for him, so I tried to do surgery and save him.  DONT GIVE UP ON ME PIGGIE!

(Actually, I wanted my bullet back.)

This photo would be great for a caption contest.

The second and third kill were a pair of boars. We saw them quite a ways out in an open field and managed to get into a spot where they just walked right up to us.  When the lead pig finally realized we were there he bowed up and raised his hackles just like an angry dog.  My stupid recorder cable was loose and I didn't any of the video.  So JPIII and I are going to have to argue forever over who actually drilled the first pig between eyes (it was me).  The second pig tried to exit stage left but he had about a 300 yard run to the nearest treeline and he came up 250 yards short.

Here is JPIII with his pew pew gun wearing the new nerd hat.

No picks of pig #4 because I never found him.  I heard the thump, heart a bit of a squeee and it looks like you can see blood in the thermal recording, but it was a crappy shot.

I'm pretty happy with my 300 BLK, fun to shoot, did pretty decent damage. I was shooting the Sierra matchking 125 OTM supersonic all night.  JPIII was shooting ball subs.

After reviewing the events of the night I was pretty convinced that the subsonic was worthless.  The pig we chopped up had one of the subsonic rounds in his hind quarter, the meat was still white all around, no contusions, as if he had been stabbed with a 30 caliber rod.  Next time we kill a pig we'll do a little more but it was kinda cold so I didn't feel like chopping on a pig all night.

I did a little Cajun ballistics test the next day too.

Amax subsonic on the left, Barnes 110 in the middle, Sierra Matchking 125 on the right.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:03:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:38:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Caption Contest:

CPR

You are doing it wrong
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 4:55:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice to see you are wearing boots... It has been a little chilly lately.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool write up,
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#5]
It was absolutely me that drilled the first of the 2 boars.  

I'm withholding judgement on the subsonic until the suppressor gets here.

I still think suppressor + good tactics will win out over ballistics.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What range where you shooting pigs at with the 300 blk supersonic loads?  I'm thinking about doing a new hog gun build in 6.8 or 300 blk.  Leaning towards the 300 right now simply due to being able to use the same bolt/mags as my 5.56.  I'm not really looking to suppress the gun, just want something with a little more power behind it, but isn't as heavy as a .308.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I gave a porker a 208gr sub sonic enema last week.  It ran off squealing for miles, I switched to the same 125gr running 1800 fps and was dropping them like crazy 2 days later.

Blackout Subs will have a place, but not sure hog slaying en mass will be it.

Now ferral cat removal is a different story.  Lol.
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 4:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Awsome post.

Caption contest:

"WHERE is that shit smell coming from!"
Link Posted: 3/14/2013 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I gave a porker a 208gr sub sonic enema last week.  It ran off squealing for miles, I switched to the same 125gr running 1800 fps and was dropping them like crazy 2 days later.

Blackout Subs will have a place, but not sure hog slaying en mass will be it.

Now ferral cat removal is a different story.  Lol.

I wouldn't use sub loads on hogs. Taylor KO Factor suggests that that would be stupid. Buy freedom munitions loads a 115 Gr VMax that they claim gets 2150 FPS. Plenty strong to take out any hog I'd see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top