[#1]
know some people that may be good for
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.. thank you for posting.

This will definitely come in handy!

Link Posted: 10/15/2011 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been “taping” mine for about a year now….and have found it to be a surprisingly accurate method. I have been able to verify the predicted weights using my Hanson Scale (however accurate it is). BUT, I have not taken any heart girth measurements with the hog in a position other than lying flat on the ground.

I can think of several factors that might cause inconsistencies…but all in all.. it is a good “field method” by which to estimate weight. Certainly MUCH better than guesses…. (Educated or otherwise).

Especially since Hog Hunters are second only to fishermen…in their inability to a accurately assign a weight, without substantial “embellishment”.

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#4]
had seen the tape method in different thread.. thought it was preety cool... beets carring a scale around out in the woods, lol....  back in the day, used ta spend alot of time at live stock sales... been a while, but had always used the guessing meathed...   twas looking at the one in pic, an tis estamating about 130 ta 150#...  some hogs have shorter body length than others...still pretty good method, how well does it work on the smaller ones?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]
So on the above hog if the formula was used I came out to 241 pounds is the close to what you figured flintknapper?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So on the above hog if the formula was used I came out to 241 pounds is the close to what you figured flintknapper?

228 lbs if I remember correctly, I have it written down someplace and will double check that figure, but the heart girth on that boar was about 43 inches (tape not pulled tight in pic), so yes...it was very close to being what the pig scaled (estimated 231 lbs...... actual weight on Hanson scale 228 lbs.)
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:57:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I am going to check this out on the next Hog
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

228 lbs if I remember correctly, I have it written down someplace and will double check that figure, but the heart girth on that boar was about 43 inches (tape not pulled tight in pic), so yes...it was very close to being what the pig scaled (estimated 231 lbs...... actual weight on Hanson scale 228 lbs.)

dang i been underestamating the wieght n the hogs i've been taking...    i was looking at picture with your weapon laying thar an using it as refferance...  i was guessing 150 tops  any ways goop tip...  
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dang i been underestamating the wieght n the hogs i've been taking...   i was looking at picture with your weapon laying thar an using it as refferance...  i was guessing 150 tops  any ways goop tip...  

The whole point of using a tape to estimate weight (by heart girth) is to help eliminate "educated" guesses based on who knows what.

I've killed and seen enough hogs (live and dead) in 25 years of hunting them to develop a "feel" for what they weigh IF I can see the hog first person or have some reliable object of known scale in the SAME focal plane in a picture. Anything that is in front of...or behind the animal, (even if of known scale) presents an optical illusion (especially if a zoom lens is used, since they compress the distance).

That is the reason it is so hard to really judge the size/weight of a hog when a proud hunter places himself 4 feet behind the pig while photos are being taken. There is nothing wrong with showing the animal in its best light, propping it up and sitting DIRECTLY behind it, but this nonsense of purposely trying to cause the illusion that a hog is bigger than it really is....is a pet peeve of mine. So just be cognizant of the effect a camera lens has on "ratio", even when two objects are only several inches apart in a photo. Photographers are aware of this....but the everyday public....well...not so much.

The best thing to do...is simply weigh them or use the H/G method to "estimate", its pretty accurate all in all.

Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
interesting, good to know this information, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Flinknapper,

Care to take a stab at pig#1 & pig #3 in this thread?  

(I dont want to mess up this thread, so I'll just post a link):

Thread Link

Link Posted: 1/1/2013 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Especially since Hog Hunters are second only to fishermen…in their inability to a accurately assign a weight, without substantial “embellishment”. [/span]

I was all but ex-communicated by my hog hunting buddies when I began to actually weigh the 400 and 500lb hogs that we were killing.

When I began to report back with weights in the 175-200lb range, they got defensive and accused me of not knowing how to weigh an animal.

They actually argued with the actual math (I weighed head, hide, guts, carcass, meat harvested) of the total weights.

TRG

Link Posted: 1/29/2013 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially since Hog Hunters are second only to fishermen…in their inability to a accurately assign a weight, without substantial “embellishment”. [/span]

I was all but ex-communicated by my hog hunting buddies when I began to actually [span style='font-weight: bold;']weigh[/span] the 400 and 500lb hogs that we were killing.

When I began to report back with weights in the 175-200lb range, they got defensive and accused me of not knowing how to weigh an animal.

They actually argued with the actual math (I weighed head, hide, guts, carcass, meat harvested) of the total weights.

TRG

Well.....uuhhh....those parts were dehydrated.  So there.

I always enjoy hearing about the 450 pounders that turn out to be 225lbs.  I just go by if I can drag it then it is not over 250lbs.  I am small fella though.  165lbs @ 5'7"
Link Posted: 1/29/2013 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was all but ex-communicated by my hog hunting buddies when I began to actually [span style='font-weight: bold;']weigh[/span] the 400 and 500lb hogs that we were killing.

TRG

Well.....uuhhh....those parts were dehydrated.  So there.

I always enjoy hearing about the 450 pounders that turn out to be 225lbs.  I just go by if I can drag it then it is not over 250lbs.  I am small fella though.  165lbs @ 5'7"

Yeah, it was a bizarre scene when I am telling them about the hog's *real* weight vs their field estimate.  They were vehement enough in disagreeing that I realized the phrase "You can't use facts to change a man's beliefs" was accurate.

They

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been over that site many times and can't find any srp897  pdf anywhere, did they remove it?

Quoted:
This method was posted in another thread. It looked like an awesome way to get a pretty good indication of a hog's weight without a scale.

10.1709 × Heart girth - 205.7492 = weight within 95%.

It appears this method was developed by researchers at Kansas St in 2002.

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/srp897.pdf Page 171

Be sure to read the procedures described. Obviously the vast majority of what we do will be with dead pigs.

Let's test this method on the pigs we kill.

I propose we take two measurements of every pig. One when it is laying on the ground. Then measure it when it is hanging on the scale, as it MUST be actually weighed. Lets see which way of measuring is more accurate and if this measurement technique is as accurate as portrayed.

Of course everyone will need a cloth tape measure, a scale.....and a dead pig.

Add your results and any pics to this thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#17]
40 inch = 200 pounds
42 inch = 220 pounds
43 inch = 230 pounds
44 inch = 240 pounds
45 inch = 250 pounds
-------------------------------
46 inch = 260 pounds
47 inch = 270 pounds
48 inch = 280 pounds
49 inch = 290 pounds
-----------------------------
50 inch = 300 pounds
51 inch = 310 pounds

60 inches needed for 400 pounds
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been over that site many times and can't find any srp897  pdf anywhere, did they remove it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:
This method was posted in another thread. It looked like an awesome way to get a pretty good indication of a hog's weight without a scale.

10.1709 × Heart girth - 205.7492 = weight within 95%.

It appears this method was developed by researchers at Kansas St in 2002.

http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/srp897.pdf Page 171

Be sure to read the procedures described. Obviously the vast majority of what we do will be with dead pigs.

Let's test this method on the pigs we kill.

I propose we take two measurements of every pig. One when it is laying on the ground. Then measure it when it is hanging on the scale, as it MUST be actually weighed. Lets see which way of measuring is more accurate and if this measurement technique is as accurate as portrayed.

Of course everyone will need a cloth tape measure, a scale.....and a dead pig.

Add your results and any pics to this thread.

Just do a google search for "srp897"

Here it is:  http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/historicpublications/pubs/srp897.pdf
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I like and use this method and the rounded #s TLM mentioned are easier
to remember and don't require thousands place calculations.

Where
most people have a problem with this method is over-estimating weight
by not properly placing the tape.  You want to find the smallest snug
circumference from directly behind the hog's front legs.  So the tape
has to be perpendicular to the body (not angled forward or rearward) and
the measurement be taken directly behind and ideally snugged into the
arm pits.

I usually remeasure 2 or 3 times, resituating the tape each time to try to get a better placement and then run with the smallest number.  That usually gets me with 5% of the actual weight when I have checked it against the scale.

There have been some reports from folks who indicate that the tape method can't produce good numbers and usually report some sort of huge error that is over the actual weight.  I don't doubt they had a huge error.  The huge error is undoubtedly tape placement.

As noted, this isn't a perfect method, but it beats the hell out of carrying a scale around and it beats eyeballing or lifting estimates.

Does it work for small pigs?  Sure, but once you get into piglet range, it does not.  In fact, if you get a pig with a H/G less than 20" the pig will have a negative weight estimate.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top