BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2013 1:50:21 PM EDT
I carry when we hike in the parks.
Will a 10mm or 45ACP stop a black bear?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Of course it will.  I'm not sure how many rounds it will take so just keep shooting until it stops!

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 2:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I was just kidding.  When I hike in the Smoky's I generally take my rat terrier with me so the bear will have something to eat, I mean distract him, while I'm running away.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know anything about those eastern blackbears, but out here in the  PNW you've got better chance of being struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket as your supermodel GF watches than you do of being attacked and mauled by a blackbear.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing the bears care about is your food and their baby bears.  I even came across one in a Pennsylvania park that had been injured.  I walked to within about 20 yards of him, (I didn't see him until then) and saw that his side had been cut up in a fight.  He just lumbered around and payed no attention to me.  I walked away.  The end.  If you see the little ones, get out of there calmly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah black bears really aren't aggressive towards people unless you have a side of bacon zip tied to your leg. I'd honestly worry more about a tree falling on me or falling down and breaking my leg.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ATACORION:
Yeah black bears really aren't aggressive towards people unless you have a side of bacon zip tied to your leg. I'd honestly worry more about a tree falling on me or falling down and breaking my leg.

I found this a while back when this subject came up.  Now I know it's Wikipedia, but it's interesting that the black versus brown bear attacks seem to be running neck to neck.  A smattering of polar bear attacks are listed as well.

Any predator can decide you are food on any given day.  Odds are generally low, but quickly increase to a personal 100% when Yogi is chewing on your leg.  Having hunted bear and found that when they don't want it be found it's hard to find them, I have almost literally tripped over then when not looking for them.  

A firearm is like auto insurance.  Hopefully you never need it, but when your two day old Corvette gets totaled kind of nice to have.

Discussion of what type/caliber is best is a nice little bit of diversion, so in that vain, I'd recommend the largest caliber magnum revolver you can shoot accurately.  Then always make sure you have a friend along so you can shoot him in the leg to distract the bear as you run away.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Black Bears can and do kill people!

There have been 2 such killings within an hour of where I live, so yes, I carry when out and about on the farm. Usually it's a Model 60 S&W, 3" 357, with 160 gr. hard cast SWC's over a stiff dose of powder. Penetrations was what I was looking for! The little guy is ported and handles these loads better then you might at first expect! I don't fire such hot loads every day through it, just use up my carry rounds every 30 days or so.

Black Bear attacks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You have the right to Bear Arms.....lol

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 9:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Palladin8] [#9]
Originally Posted By Fielding_Mellish:
I don't know anything about those eastern blackbears, but out here in the  PNW you've got better chance of being struck by lightning while holding a winning lottery ticket as your supermodel GF watches than you do of being attacked and mauled by a blackbear.

I better stay out of the PNW then so I don't have to cause my Supermodel GF to develop PTSD and have to be treated by a psychologist and then end up running away with him and take all my lottery winnings.  

I carried my 10mm while working up in the PNW and did in fact see a black bear.  It looked at me for a few seconds then walked away from me with little concern. I waited awhile and continued my hike in a different direction.
The only time I have ever been remotely threatened by a bear was while fishing on a lake in Northern CA in the Spring time.  Mother nature called while in the canoe.  We made a beeline for the shore and I jumped off and started running towards a tree.  Well momma and her cubs happened to be near by and she didn't like the running towards her so she charged towards me.  I turned and ran back to the boat and away we went.  I ended up hanging my butt over the edge of the canoe (not easy to do and not tip over) as I wasn't taking any chances again.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jacare] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATACORION:
View Quote

Thunder Bay Black Bear Attack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top