Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2013 10:26:00 AM EDT
Long story short, at a SCI auction my step dad purchased a black bear hunt in Canada somewhere north of Montana that has to be used this month.  He's unable to go.  Since I think he was the only bid for the package I can afford to snatch it from him.  BUT, I don't have a passport.  How fast can I obtain a passport?  

I'm able to go for bear here in MT every year and I've already shot one. (Which I felt was enough for a lifetime) Anyone been there,  done that in Canada who can tell me if it's possible to get passport and papers in order in this short of time?  Primarily my interest would be in the chance to get away and experience a guided/outfitted hunt and maybe shoot an actual black one if a bruiser presents itself. (My only black bear was brown one ) If the papers can be obtained- is it really worth taking a few thousand dollars which I could live high on the hog hunting here in MT self-guided?  (On a multitude of different species I'd prefer to pursue)

Thanks in advance.

Sly
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You can apply for one of these cards IF you are going to drive. You CANNOT use it if you fly into Canada. I took my Wife up to Canada last year for a Black Bear hunt but we drove. We had these cards and there was no problem at the Canadian or U.S. borders. I believe it took about 2-3 weeks to get them though.
You are also going to have to fill out a firearms declaration form along with a duty form. We had to take our rifles, any jewelry, electronic equipment (video camera) etc. to the local Customs office and have them check serial numbers of all the items listed on our duty form. This way you won't have to pay duty on any of these items when coming back into the U.S.

Good luck, hope you're able to go and don't forget to bring along a Thermacell !!!!!

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/news/2008-01-10-passport-cards_N.htm
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 11:55:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ACitizenNotASubject] [#2]
Google "expedited passport" and you will find there are a few ways to get a passport in a hurry.

Enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys. Found out its near Alberta Canada. Looked at Google Maps and for me it would be a 900 mile one way trip. Sounds like I would spend as much time in the vehicle as I would on the ground hunting.That's too far for a bar! (Err, bear)
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Go for it!!!! You'll have a great time. When we drove up to New Brunswick, Canada for our bear hunt, it was like 1800 miles. The trip/hunt was well worth the trek. You could make it in 2 days or less.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
with the distance involved and the wind shield time, it's definitely less of a dilemma. I've got a bad back that I've been putting off surgery for quite some time now.  (Already have had two) I'll spend equall time laid up in relation to the amount of windshield time. I don't think this plan will fly.  (Literally)

Sky
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, you wouldn't want to make that trip with a bad back, that's for sure. Shame you couldn't make the trip. Sounds like it would be a fun hunt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top