Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2017 1:00:03 PM EDT
Just got a couple from a friend, looking for recipe recommendations. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Goose is hard to get right.... I usually grind it up and make it into chili, or strip it and make jerky. Its pretty good it you chop it up, cooked up with some teriyaki sauce and toss it in some ramen noodles....
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The few times I've made them I've just treated them like duck breast but increased the times.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1868272_.html  Is one of my duck recipes. The first side where you do the skin down to leech the fat off, you'll want to up to about 15 minutes, and then the oven time should be moved up close to 15-20.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Never had Goose but I love duck.  Will be interested to see what ideas people come up with here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Put them on a smoker. Also look up a Goose Pastrami on line. Both are excellent.
I fill the smoker up with them. Then vacuum seal and freeze, then you can eat them whenever you want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Slice it thin as hell,
Marinate in teriyaki
Slap on the grill hot as fuck about as long as you would for beef of equivalent size

Serve on rice, drizzle a zig-zag of sauce on it to present,
Enjoy the fuck out of it.

People's biggest problem with cooking goose is they don't realize that it's way more like beef than fowl,
As a result they tend to overcook the hell out of it.

They also tend to want to roast it in its own fat/skin, which like wild duck is "less than optimal" as the fat does not contain flavors most people like, like domesticated animals fat does
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put them on a smoker. Also look up a Goose Pastrami on line. Both are excellent.
I fill the smoker up with them. Then vacuum seal and freeze, then you can eat them whenever you want.
View Quote

Smoked goose is amazing,
Smoked goose sausage is even more amazinger
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Tenderize with a jaccard. Marinate in Yoshida's sauce. Roll in Krustez pancake mix and fry in oil. Variation on a classic Alaska moose recipe.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Two things you want to do with goose breasts:
1.  clean all shot channels of clots, feathers, and bb's.
2.  never cook it past medium rare.  140 degrees and it's done.

Substitute thinly sliced goose or ground goose for beef in any recipe.

I make a lot of stir fry & fajitas with sliced canada goose.  I also do stuffed goose breasts & poppers on the grill quite a bit.
With snows, I tend to grind most of the time and make sticks/jerky, or I smoke them, shred them, and make bbq'd pulled goose sandwiches.

Cubed up into 3/4" chunks, seasoned, and deep fried is great (chislic).
if you crock pot them, make sure to brown the breasts first or they will dehydrate in the slow cooker.  This is a good way to make pulled goose sandwiches as well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I crock pot goose like you would a pot roast.   Very much like beef, just a bit drier (assuming you're talking wild goose, not farm goose)

I throw them into a crock pot on med heat, cover with water and a package of liptons onion soup. Add a couple onions and let it cook all day.  Later in the day add spuds and carrots.  Keep it simple and treat it like you would beef.

Good stuff.

It goes against my general waterfowl principle of never over medium rare, but it does work out fine in a pot roast.

If I were going to grill it, I'd marinade a breast in olive oil and soy sauce for a bit, hit it with your favorite grilling salts and grill it.  As said above - never get any more well done than med-rare doing it this way.  you could butterfly it or cut into little medallions if you cared to.   I've grilled them whole in the past.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tenderize with a jaccard. Marinate in Yoshida's sauce. Roll in Krustez pancake mix and fry in oil. Variation on a classic Alaska moose recipe.
View Quote

THIS

I did this without the tenderizing part, and I couldn't find yoshidas sauce so I used a Korean BBQ sauce. To be honest I wasn't to hopeful trying it for the first time but after the first bite it became one of my favorite foods. I cut up the goose breasts into bite size pieces so it could fry easier. Now I'm certainly hooked but have to wait til September for the next open season!
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Late season just opened here, just need to get out and whack some geese
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I assume most of ya'll are talking about Canadians?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
They're all pretty much grass-fed poultry. We brine our snow goose breasts, and fry as basically steaks with soy sauce, garlic until medium. I got one bite, seemed good, the kids ate the rest in about 20 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I jerky it all. Slight satisfaction enjoying goose jerky at 6am waiting for more honkers to come in
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:50:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Up in NY we have something called “State Fair Spiedie” marinade (used to make chicken spiedies).

Marinade for a few days, grill rare (135-140). Or - smoke to 140 internal and finish on a fiery hot grill (quick sear on each side).

Otherwise it’s jerky or sausage. Add pork fat (30% total weight) to sausage.

Goose isn’t something I usually feed to new wild game eaters
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm doing a batch of corned goose breasts this week.  Next week goose pastrami.  Both retain a measure of "wild game" flavor, but make excellent table fare.

Wood Duck stir fry for supper tonight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Jerky and sausage from Canada's, Snows cubed up in cast iron. Onions, butter, and a little garlic on the woodstove.
Don't forget the thighs, best part IMO
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Thin strips, marinaded in teriyaki/soy in a stirfry, or with rice and a little bacon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top