Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2015 9:42:45 PM EDT
Palmer, the intrepid Brittany, decided to point a skunk.  Skunk didn't think too much of the idea and hit him full blast right in the neck.

Folks, you haven't lived until you've driven 10 miles back to town with fresh skunk spray.  We gave him a field expedient peroxide/baking soda/dishsoap bath out in front of the Cawker Dollar General, then drove back to Clay Center to pick up fresh supplies.  Back at our hotel he got the tomato juice treatment, followed by another peroxide/soda/soap bath.  For a while there it looked like like a scene out of a slasher film in the bathtub.

In the end we got most of the smell off him and some of the smell out of the car.

Oh yeah, we also got some birds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Handsome Britt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Handsome Britt.
View Quote

He's a fine dog; not mine but I've been hunting over him for 4 years.  His first season was a little chaotic (spaz dog), but some maturity has really helped.  It's amazing watching him working a field, catching a sent, tracking it down, and going on point.  He locks up very well and won't break until the flush.

Now, if he could just learn skunks aren't to be trifled with.  he found 3 of them this year, but we managed to call him off before spraying on the first two.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope you shot the skunk after pulling the dog back...
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I was actually about 75 yards away, and the skunk got away.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:29:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Lol been there done that.  Tomatoe juice does nothing.  Skunk spray is an oil.  Anything that cuts oil works way better.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol been there done that.  Tomatoe juice does nothing.  Skunk spray is an oil.  Anything that cuts oil works way better.
View Quote

Agreed, but the owner was bound and determined to try it.  Dog got a peroxide bath, then a tomato bath, then another peroxide bath, and that got about 99% of the smell out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Folks, you haven't lived until you've driven 10 miles back to town with fresh skunk spray
View Quote

Oh, goodness.

One time when I was a kid, my dad let our dogs out at about 1 a.m..  They found and attacked a skunk, and both got blasted fully.  They ran home, and barked at the door.  Dad, in his stupor, opened the door before anything could register.  Both dogs blasted right through the door, and ran through the entire house jumping on every sofa and bed, rubbing and rolling around, trying to get it off.  By the time dad woke up from his comatose state and realized what had happened, it was far, far too late.  Sooooo much laundry, bathing, dog bathing, and upholstery cleaning that night.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#8]
This stuff does a decent job, but it won't entirely eliminate the smell.

I have gotten enough off of my shorthair that she was able to stay in the house the same evening she was sprayed, but it took a few shampooings.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been lucky in that each of my brittanys has only been blasted once.  I keep baking soda, peroxide,  dish soap, elbow high gloves, a big jug of water, and a couple of water bottles with a nozzle in my dog bag when hunting.   You cannot premix the skunk juice.  What I do is get the antidote mixed in a squeeze bottle and get the dog good.  Rub it in some more with gloves on.  Take the other bottle with fresh water and rinse clean.  Repeat as necessary.   My 3 year old got nailed this year, my wife had no idea when I got home.  The smell was completely gone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top