Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2015 2:47:02 PM EDT
I am looking at making a trip out of state next year for pheasant. Kansas is high on the list right now, but I am looking into South Dakota as well. I have found several Walk In Areas in South Dakota. As far as hunting pressure goes, are these worth looking into as a primary hunting spot? We will be bringing dogs so we aren't looking for a roadside hunt. I would prefer to hunt public land or try to find some private access versus paying a guide. I just don't want to drive the 15 or 16 hours to have a hunter per acre either. So, do any of you have any input on hunting public land in SD for pheasant?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Bird numbers are up, but understand SD is still the pheasant destination for the masses.  Public land gets hammered.  Check out eastern NE.  Pheasant numbers are way up, not SD numbers, but huntable populations and after opening weekend pressure is minimal.  There are tons of walk in areas that are well marked.  Plus quail numbers are through the freaking roof in NE.  

If I was doing a public land hunt I'd go with NE, ND, and KS in that order.

SD pheasant has become pay to play in a big way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bird numbers are up, but understand SD is still the pheasant destination for the masses.  Public land gets hammered.  Check out eastern NE.  Pheasant numbers are way up, not SD numbers, but huntable populations and after opening weekend pressure is minimal.  There are tons of walk in areas that are well marked.  Plus quail numbers are through the freaking roof in NE.  

View Quote

I really appreciate the heads up. Being able to get quail and pheasant in one trip would be a big plus. I will start looking into NE.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really appreciate the heads up. Being able to get quail and pheasant in one trip would be a big plus. I will start looking into NE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't want to go too far north or west in NE if quail is what you are after.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You don't want to go too far north or west in NE if quail is what you are after.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We would primarily be going after pheasant, but picking up a few quail would be nice too. I will keep that in mind when researching. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking into Nebraska, why not hunt for grouse also?

Certain areas are loaded with prairie chickens and sharptails.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you are looking into Nebraska, why not hunt for grouse also?

Certain areas are loaded with prairie chickens and sharptails.
View Quote

I wouldn't mind a grouse at all. We usually kill a few on back country elk hunts and they are delicious. I didn't know grouse were a real option in NE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#7]
You'll find birds on public in SD if you have a good dog.  after the first month of the season, hunter numbers start to diminish.  Couple that with colder weather and crop harvest completion, and you'll see birds grouped up a little better, especially near heavy cover.  I would target the areas between US hwy 281 and the missouri river to narrow your focus.  I don't get out that way much, but the times I've had, we've shot birds every time on public lands.  a good dog that doesn't mind pounding cattails is always a good idea.  

Bird numbers seem to be up throughout the state; we hunted a 160 acre WPA on saturday for about 1.5 hours in the south eastern part of the state, with a very inexperienced dog, and we flushed 17 birds.  with the wind and dry conditions I consider that a win.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You'll find birds on public in SD if you have a good dog.  after the first month of the season, hunter numbers start to diminish.  Couple that with colder weather and crop harvest completion, and you'll see birds grouped up a little better, especially near heavy cover.  I would target the areas between US hwy 281 and the missouri river to narrow your focus.  I don't get out that way much, but the times I've had, we've shot birds every time on public lands.  a good dog that doesn't mind pounding cattails is always a good idea.  

Bird numbers seem to be up throughout the state; we hunted a 160 acre WPA on saturday for about 1.5 hours in the south eastern part of the state, with a very inexperienced dog, and we flushed 17 birds.  with the wind and dry conditions I consider that a win.
View Quote

I would call that a win too. I will look in that area between 281 and the Missouri. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top