Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2014 4:28:25 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am hunting the late season in Michigan that runs from today through the end of the May. I have had pretty decent success in the May season although this year the birds seem to act like they do in the fall. The hens do appear to be separated from the jakes / toms and I am assuming they are going to tend to their nests. I have had luck using a single hen decoy (instead of jakes mixed in) to show the illusion of a lonely hen still ready for action as the turkeys have shown interest in this in the past. Although this season they seem to have complete lock jaw. I know where they are roosting and can actually see them in the trees but they will not gobble or respond in any way, even while still in roost which is rare. Once they come down they begin feeding and seem completely shut off from the rest of the world. Anyone have any tips or tricks when it gets hard late in the season like this?
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Just had two gobbling last night around 5 pm, one came in all hot to trot but got scared and took off. The other wouldn't come in, try setting up by water or woods near fields. If anything just keep calling and walking.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Stay on your sets longer instead of running and gunning.  I've had silent birds show up an hour after I started calling.  Try different calls, sometimes you find a magic one in the bottom of the vest.  If all else fails pattern the toms and ambush them like you were deer hunting.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
IN opens a little later than some other states and they can act more like a fall season bird on our last weekend and I run in to similar behavior as you are describing so I'm right there with you this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top