Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 4:59:41 AM EDT
What are some affordable calls that are good quality?  These jokers are expensive!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you new to calling?  

The reason I ask is, if your just learning, yeah you might start out with a cheaper call and intructional DVD to get the basics.  If you know how to use one already, I'd recommend going to a cabelas, bass pro, etc. and try out different ones.  Just because I can make a certain call sound good, don't mean you will.  It's all about are presentation, and the way blow the call. Also, not all duck calls are created equal.

Single reed calls tend to be more versatile. They tend to have more range from low to high,  and the ability sound like different ducks such as a young high pitched hen or raspy old hen.  But, singles tend to require better air control and less forgiving.  Double reeds tends to be more forgiving, and easier to get the hang of.  But, not as versatile and singles.  There are a few doubles out there that will, but they are more expensive, upper end calls.

Haydel's dr85, echo polycarbonate double reed, echo diamondwood are good, ducky sounding calls and are inexpensive. But are lacking in some areas, at least IMO.  I know folks who use them and have success with them.  They just don't fit me or my style of calling.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, new to waterfowling!  I was looking at the cheap ones that come with videos but I didn't want to buy junk either.  I just know how it is with cheap turkey calls and you generally get what you pay for.  Rich n tone quackhead calls looked good for the price.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Buddy of mine makes them. Here is his Facebook link.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buddy of mine makes them. Here is his Facebook link.
View Quote

Thanks!  I send him an email.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes, new to waterfowling!  I was looking at the cheap ones that come with videos but I didn't want to buy junk either.  I just know how it is with cheap turkey calls and you generally get what you pay for.  Rich n tone quackhead calls looked good for the price.
View Quote

Can't blame ya there.  I know rnt makes some fine calls, but don't know anything about their quack head line up.  I have a RNT mondo, which I really like, but I really wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. It takes some air to run it, and not very forgiving.  To be honest, I know some pretty darn good callers that don't like it, but it fits me and my style, plus I seem to get a good reaction from the birds with it.

Then again, my buddy who blows an echo polycarb double reed sound real good on it and kills as many as I do.  But, I can't do real good with it.   That's why I feel it's important to find a call that fits you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
An affordable one that is very easy to learn on is the Buck Gardner Double Nasty

I bought one for a friend, and I liked it so much I went and bought one for myself.

Later I modified to a single reed and it can really ring now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you new to calling?  

The reason I ask is, if your just learning, yeah you might start out with a cheaper call and intructional DVD to get the basics.  If you know how to use one already, I'd recommend going to a cabelas, bass pro, etc. and try out different ones.  Just because I can make a certain call sound good, don't mean you will.  It's all about are presentation, and the way blow the call. Also, not all duck calls are created equal.

Single reed calls tend to be more versatile. They tend to have more range from low to high,  and the ability sound like different ducks such as a young high pitched hen or raspy old hen.  But, singles tend to require better air control and less forgiving.  Double reeds tends to be more forgiving, and easier to get the hang of.  But, not as versatile and singles.  There are a few doubles out there that will, but they are more expensive, upper end calls.

Haydel's dr85, echo polycarbonate double reed, echo diamondwood are good, ducky sounding calls and are inexpensive. But are lacking in some areas, at least IMO.  I know folks who use them and have success with them.  They just don't fit me or my style of calling.  
View Quote

I'm going to have to agree. I started out with doubles and they are more forgiving for basic call strings but lack a lot in the high end.

After I started practicing with single though I won't go back, they are way more versatile, you can make one call sound like different ducks instead of just a few basic patterns.

That said, up here the ducks are pretty green through both seasons, but down south they are a lot smarter. We can get away with sloppier calling.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to agree. I started out with doubles and they are more forgiving for basic call strings but lack a lot in the high end.

After I started practicing with single though I won't go back, they are way more versatile, you can make one call sound like different ducks instead of just a few basic patterns.

That said, up here the ducks are pretty green through both seasons, but down south they are a lot smarter. We can get away with sloppier calling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you new to calling?  

Well, I can't say I'll never go back to a double, because someone may come out with one that's the cats' ass. There are some good ones out there, but don't fit me or my style. Probably the biggest reason I like singles.  But, then again I tend to have better success with a "cut down" style call. They ain't for the faint of heart, they take a different air presentation than most calls, and not very forgiving.  I have success with them though.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
An affordable one that is very easy to learn on is the Buck Gardner Double Nasty

I bought one for a friend, and I liked it so much I went and bought one for myself.

View Quote

I like that one too. It's 1 of 4 I usually have in the blind. The others are an old Olt and an original wooden Duck Commander, that I've had for 35 years or so (got both in the 1970s), and a newer Duck Commander 'Ole Raspy' that my wife saw in the clearance aisle at Walmart last summer and bought for me (sounds pretty good, for the $10 she paid for it).

That old single reed Olt is nothing special, but it's easy to tune, blows wet, and there's not much I can't do with it. It's still my fav after all these years.... likely because I've had so much practice with it. I started using that call when I still had (new at the time) paper-mache decoys. My original lanyard was an old boot lace.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I ended up ordering a couple from Inferno Game Calls.  I am getting a Mallard hen single reed and a whistle.  They were very affordable for hand made calls.  I hope they sound as good as they look.  I will post pics when I get them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I like that one too. It's 1 of 4 I usually have in the blind. The others are an old Olt and an original wooden Duck Commander, that I've had for 35 years or so (got both in the 1970s), and a newer Duck Commander 'Ole Raspy' that my wife saw in the clearance aisle at Walmart last summer and bought for me (sounds pretty good, for the $10 she paid for it).

That old single reed Olt is nothing special, but it's easy to tune, blows wet, and there's not much I can't do with it. It's still my fav after all these years.... likely because I've had so much practice with it. I started using that call when I still had (new at the time) paper-mache decoys. My original lanyard was an old boot lace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those old Olts' can be deadly in the right hands.  Especially after they have been modified or "cut down"  by someone that knows what they're doing.  I've got a "replica Olt" made by black river duck calls that is hand cut by Bryce Decker.  Its a little shorter than original Olts, but it's pretty freaking sick!!!  I can't wait to try it out this year.  

I'd really like to try out one of the old trademarked Olts cut down either by Bryce Decker or Tyler Rogers.  I've heard sound files and they are awesome.   I've tried a Kirk Mccullough  cut olt, but just didn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got an old Olt flute-type goose call too, that I bought about the same time. I've yet to find another goose call that can match it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ended up ordering a couple from Inferno Game Calls.  I am getting a Mallard hen single reed and a whistle.  They were very affordable for hand made calls.  I hope they sound as good as they look.  I will post pics when I get them.
View Quote

Please do, and when you get the hang of it, post up a short vid or sound file.  I'd like to hear how one sounds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
For a mallard call I use a Sureshot Yentzen.

http://sureshotgamecalls.com/products/yentzen-double-reed-duck-call/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top