Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2016 3:42:23 PM EDT
I have a Smith and Wesson mp sport 2. I was wondering if it will be good for varmint/predator hunting for coyotes. What ammunition do you recommend, scopes etc.
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
scope depends on terrain

i like a lower powered 1-4x

vmax, nosler ballistic tips, any varmit bullet over 50-55grs

i like 60grVMAX handloads

coyotes are smart hunters, not easily fooled

which makes them a fun challenge to hunt
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#2]
An AR is a great choice to shoot coyotes with. Ive used Hornady 55 gr Vmax in my 5.56 rifles and also SilencerCo Harvester 220 gr in my Blackout. Both yielded great results.
Depending on your situation a scope may not work for you. Ive used red dots with a 3x magnifier, and it worked great for me. So just find something that you like and can shoot well.

IMO the biggest factor when hunting varmints/predators (coyotes esp.) are the following:
1) Wind direction. if you don't play the wind they will smell you before even giving you a chance to shoot.
2) Camo. self explanatory, match your surroundings.
3) Calls. get quality calls and find what works in your area. or learn how to call if using hand calls.

Anyone else can chime in this is just my opinion, but I have learned completely by myself and this is just what I have found to be important thru trial and error. Don't give up, I think I've went out in the rain, snow, and blistering cold about 10-15 times before shooting my first.
Link Posted: 11/6/2016 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Good advice above.  Inn .223 I use the 60gr as well, lots of guys  like the 50-55gr range.
As long as you can hit with it, that's what matters in  a rifle.

Agree with the above.  Your choice of a stand should begin before you get there.  Is the wind blowing from you to where you think the coyotes are? Can you both see and shoot your down wind?

You really need to be like a ninja.  Quiet and invisible going in, while hunting and when you leave.

While keeping the wind in your favor.

How you set up will vary with how you are calling,  hand calls vs e caller.

Use good calls.  Good sound,  

Fwiw in Michigan we have even called them in using monkey distress, so using a "native" sound isn't as important as your set up and quality of sound.

You don't always need to be loud with the calls either,  start low volume them go up into the set.

Good camo,  and don't move around much
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't hand load for the 5.56/223. Fioochi's 50gr VMax load has been working great on coyote and fox, as well as other pests like opossum and raccoon, skunks. On fox and coyote it is killing them quick but not blowing up hides. It shoots very accurately in my two 5.56/223's AR's and my CZ bolt rifle.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I like 52gr bthp either hornady or speer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see you live in Texas. You could really pile up the fur and "do it in the dark" with a thermal or nightvision scope. Day calling can be fun too. Either way, there's nothing better than calling coyotes!

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb316/redlined65/image_zpsfdr6hlkz.jpeg
View Quote

Holy shit is that 1 night? I'm lucky if I get one or two all winter going out a couple times every weekend.
But then again I only have about 80 acres of private land I hunt on, and probably over hunt the same area.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top