Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 8:45:14 PM EDT
I called in a resident fox with a call that is a fox "geckering" sound.  Normally in late winter weather it calls them really well....not sure why bldut it works.

So now is kind of early for that call to work, and I called in a red who saw me and ran off....  am I right to think as the fall sets in he would be easier to call back in?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I called in a resident fox with a call that is a fox "geckering" sound.  Normally in late winter weather it calls them really well....not sure why bldut it works.

So now is kind of early for that call to work, and I called in a red who saw me and ran off....  am I right to think as the fall sets in he would be easier to call back in?
View Quote

I mainly trap for them, but here is my take on the seasons and thier response to different stimuli.

The spring they are denned up trying to feed thier young so they are hunting fast, however they also have an abundance of ready food in the spring and summer. More food means less desire to chase after things. They eat a lot more insects than people realize and here in the south spring and summer is a non stop food buffet. As fall starts to roll in and the young leave you start to see more ranging. Which means you might see a fox in one area today and not see him there again.
As winter rolls in, food is more scarce, they will react more readily to investigate sounds, smells, and other stimuli in the chance of getting a meal.

While I can get them in the off months (I trap year round for nuisance wildlife) if there are specific foxes I am targeting and they are in a known territory, winter is always the best time to try to get them.

This is just what I've experienced. YMMV of course.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you are right on target!  Thanks, and I will keep trying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top