Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2015 1:33:19 PM EDT
I'm literally dragging a coyote back to my truck as I'm writing this. Obviously I need to skin it next. How long aftet i skin it do i need to do something with it? Can i throw it in the freezer and deal with it at a later time? I'd like to tan the pelt and hang it on my wall to commemorate my first yote kill, as well as bleach the skull to put next to my first hog kill.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Fire up the grill...
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
use it as bait and shoot a other one
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Salt it and then roll it up and freeze it till you can decide.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Jerky?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, right or wrong I ended up skinning it, folded the pelt in half, placed into a garbage bag and into the freezer until I figure out what to do with it next. It was a complete shit show I might add. Never skinned an animal before, I'm in my backyard with a hoist hanging from a tree branch, a box of cardboard next to me smoldering to try to keep all the Hornets that were attracted to the action at bay. Then I ninja'd the head off with a machete. Wonder what the neighbors think of me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, right or wrong I ended up skinning it, folded the pelt in half, placed into a garbage bag and into the freezer until I figure out what to do with it next. It was a complete shit show I might add. Never skinned an animal before, I'm in my backyard with a hoist hanging from a tree branch, a box of cardboard next to me smoldering to try to keep all the Hornets that were attracted to the action at bay. Then I ninja'd the head off with a machete. Wonder what the neighbors think of me.
View Quote

You are not alone in being that guy.  

I have a skinning tree attached to a pulley in my garage.

Before I went back to school, we killed so much I was tired of skinning/cleaning in the dark, rain, wind, cold, sun, heat, etc.  Just hose off the blood on the concrete and let it run down the driveway.  I even bought extra trash cans big enough to hold carcasses to set out by the curb on trash day, in the Texas heat.  

I trim the ribs out of pigs with the same chain saw I trim the hedges with.  The first time I fired that up after dark to get the ribs, the people walking their dog after sunset were at the end of the driveway like
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Get the GF to chew tan it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I take them to a local fur buyer and let them deal with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top