Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2015 2:50:15 AM EDT
So my 13YO has always been a pretty good shot, but as he is getting bigger/stronger and can now shoot offhand pretty well and as all you know coyotes don't stick around to long or stay still much.
He hit one a few weeks ago, heard the impact - suppressed 11.5" AR benefit - spun around then ran off.
After a great weekend last weekend of off hand jack rabbit, sage rats, then some rockchucks he was getting pretty comfortable offhand, not all shots were offhand but a lot were.
So tonight, we geared up w the PVS14s and FLIR 32, and went out for the tough one, the coyote.... called in the first one using pup distress, but it stayed on the ridge without a good backstop for a bit then left. The second one 15 minutes later came into the female chawl, but my boys magnifier wasn't on and once he got it on, he only got one shot as it left130ish yards, was a close shot, but disappeared over the ridge.
After another 20 minutes went with the cottontail distress, and by the time I spotted it with the FLIR it was B lining straight to the Foxpro caller - 40 yards from us - as it slowed to 56 yards from us he took a 55gn V-Max to the face!!! We waited about 8 more minutes after shutting off the call but my boy wanted to go get it.
Great week!!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:16:27 AM EDT
[#1]

That kid is living the dream,
good on you Dad..!!!

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
looks like the yote shit himself! good work!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done! I really enjoy seeing pictures of kids in the outdoors continuing the hunting tradition.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks like the yote shit himself! good work!
View Quote

I killed one last year that did the same thing.  I shot it along the edge of a woods and unfortunately didn't drop it in its tracks.  Went up to the spot I thought I'd hit it to look for some hair and blood, and instead found a fresh pile of shit.  Dead dog had hobbled into the woods not far away...
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:07:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Good deal!  My kid who is 14 as of last week has been calling and killing coyotes with me for a couple years now.  Makes me happy taking him out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice,  almost as big as him,  the smile says it all.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, I thought I posted this but this is my daughters account of the next night we went out....

So a "Funny" update from my daughter who went out w me last night.

Me and my dad were out with night vision coyote hunting in the field. My night vision died so I had the FLIR (heat vision). We had the call set out a ways out and my brother shot one yesterday so that was set down there for bait. My dad handed me his night vision because he was going to go walk down and move the coyote and get the call. He didn't have the night vision or anything to see and left me with the gun. So I was watching better than I was before and I switched eyes because one was becoming tired. And I caught a reflection of something. I thought it was an eye but couldn't really tell. I didn't have the magnifier on either. So I was watching it carefully because my dad was like within 60 feet of it at that time and then I saw it blink so I started watching it carefully. And when my dad picked up the coyote to throw it in the bush the thing started walking a little bit closer so I grabbed the gun and got ready to jump up and run towards him. And a coyote as soon as it saw someone it would take off but it was just watching my dad and got within 45-40 feet of my dad. So I was watching it carefully. When my dad threw the coyote in the bushes it just stood there. When my dad started to walk back to me it just turned and slowly walked away. But it walked exactly like a cat, slow long strides. And whatever it was, was big. Without the magnifier I saw it clearly. I'm pretty sure it was either a bob cat or smallish cougar. It was a little scary but pretty much just kinda cool. My dad had no idea until he got back and I told him haha. I was the only one with a gun so I would have had to jumped up and ran with it.

So the neighbor since has had a Goat disappear out of a 6' enclosed fence with no holes, and a deer carcass torn up and kind of coverd just up the road.
I have to say it sure makes going out a little more exciting!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, keep up the good work!
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally a good story about the youth today. Happy belated fathers day!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top