Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2015 10:20:08 AM EDT
I live in a subdivision, but my yard backs up on ~1,000 acres of woodland.  I have three indoor-outdoor cats. This morning, I heard ‘yotes yapping in the woods.  I’m thinking of leaving some food out in the backyard and sniping them from an upstairs window.  Never shot a yote.  Would 22LRHP kill a yote or at least hurt one enough to cause it to leave and never return?  I think if I use a larger caliber rifle, the neighbors would call the cops.
If not, I might lock up the cats and leave warfarin meatballs and antifreeze out for the coyotes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I'd avoid accidentally harming the neighborhood dogs with your poison.  Probably illegal use of said chemicals too.

The .22 would do the job.  I think what you will find is you will hit it soundly, say in the lungs and the animal will run off and die elsewhere.  It will meet your needs but many will call it cruel and undergunned.

I would not use a hollow point due to the risk of it opening up and not getting penetration.   They're not jacketed, just gilded.  A .22 mag will be jacketed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:53:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Careful of the poisons. Could be problematic in an urban area.

You could try trapping them. Leg holds are excellent for them and even if you caught a neighborhood dog you could release it unharmed.

And I would use a .22 but not at any long distance. Usually I shoot mine at about 36".
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
A proper head shot will drop a yote with a .22 at the range you describe.  Even a solid and a sub through a can.

Anything supersonic and the neighbors are gonna dime you off for discharging a weapon in the city (if that applies).  

Best bet is .300AAC sub, 190gr or larger, through a can.  If you don't have one, that is no excuse.  Buy one immediately.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Use your 22 LR.  Your "distance" will likely be 50 yards or less.  Lung shots and they will run off to die rather than pile up there and need to be disposed of.

Shoot from inside your house through an open window, from back in the room.  Utilize an upstairs if you have one.  Keep the sound down as much as possible.

ETA:  Play music in the room with an open widow.  Not loud enough to be a disturbance, but loud enough to disguise.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in a subdivision, but my yard backs up on ~1,000 acres of woodland.  I have three indoor-outdoor cats. This morning, I heard ‘yotes yapping in the woods.  I’m thinking of leaving some food out in the backyard and sniping them from an upstairs window.  Never shot a yote.  Would 22LRHP kill a yote or at least hurt one enough to cause it to leave and never return?  I think if I use a larger caliber rifle, the neighbors would call the cops.
If not, I might lock up the cats and leave warfarin meatballs and antifreeze out for the coyotes.
View Quote

If you use poison, you will probably end up in jail.... not a good idea.

You could put "food" out and spend the next month looking out your window and never see anything.... not a good idea.

Understand that coyotes are coyotes and you will never be rid of them.... an ok idea.

You could pay a professional trapper ( georgiagun) to come trap them out..... a better idea.

Or use the summer to get your trappers license, join your local trapper association, learn to trap and trap them yourself this fall...... best idea.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I shot one with .17 HMR.  He was the only one that I ever lost with .17 HMR.  Prior to that I've shot a dozen different animals (including feral dogs, cats, etc).  One shot one kill except that one.

Short distance, I use .44 now days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#7]

I shot one with Quik-Shok a long time ago.  It ran about 80 yards and dropped.  

If you have a barrel that will stabilize it, I recommend Aguila SSS.  Super quiet and has very violent yaw.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Some will laugh, but try Super Colibri from a 16-18" barrel with a scope. Headshot only, 25 yards or less. It will penetrate enough if you use Super Colibri, not straight Colibri.

It will be quieter than an air rifle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My next hunt will be with my 10" 300 aac noveske build.  Suppressed 110 gr Barnes ttacx, green kill light, and 1-4x scope.

Supersonic crack won't alrm the neighbors and should knock the snot out of Wiley coyote.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes a 22 long rifle will but shot placement counts here. Lung shots mean everything. Poke the lungs out of them and they will go down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in a similar scenario to the OP.  However, while my suppressed .22 with PMC Moderators seemed to be okay for raccoons I am planning on using my AR chambered in .300 Blackout for the coyote.  Just have to sight it in.  

I also talked with my neighbors on either side of my house and they said kill the coyote.  Of course they both have either a cat or a dog each.  Don't talk to your neighbors unless you know them really well though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My next hunt will be with my 10" 300 aac noveske build.  Suppressed 110 gr Barnes ttacx, green kill light, and 1-4x scope.

Supersonic crack won't alrm the neighbors and should knock the snot out of Wiley coyote.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

what brand/type of green light do you use?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Excellent suggestions.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#14]
With a .22lr on Coyote sized game shot placement is everything, I would hate to see one limping around and pretty much forced to scavenge trash and take domestic animals or maybe even small children.

As said already a shot to the lungs/heart will kill one pretty fast and it will not live long enough to endanger anything. At close range a good head shot will drop them. Other than that, it is too risky with a .22lr and might cause more harm than good.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I got on a coyote while driving around the farm and all I had was a 10/22. I chased it across a field and got half a dozen hits on him and his underside was completely covered in blood and he just kept on running until he finally got away. I know he went down not long after but a handful of randomly placed 22lr rounds didn't work on this one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My 2 cents about the green light, and I'm open to learn from someone who knows from experience...

I have never shined a coyote with a green light. However, I have shined deer, raccoons, and rabbits, with a green light and then all seem to be able to see it. Actually it seems like they see their shadow it casts and it almost always spooks them, except that some times raccoons will look at their shadows or the light and then go back to feeding. However, I've used a red light on deer, raccoons, hogs and coyotes and they do not react to red light, with the exception of one hog that acted like he saw a pinkish-red light I was using although I can't rule out that he saw me moving instead. If the coyotes sees like those animals, I'd trust a red light over a green light.

I do know someone who has used a green laser-type light on coons and they didn't seem to notice. I'm open to the possibility that a green laser might be different than a green LED in terms of an animal's ability to detect it. I'm also open to hear from people who have used green lights on coyotes. I'd prefer to use green instead of red for filming purposes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I would absolutely wack a coyote with a 22. Just have a well zeroed gun and don't let yourself get all hyped up when you finally see the dog. I love shooting whistle pigs in my backyard but I hate them so much digging around my house that I get all pumped up and end up pulling the shot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 2 cents about the green light, and I'm open to learn from someone who knows from experience...

I have never shined a coyote with a green light. However, I have shined deer, raccoons, and rabbits, with a green light and then all seem to be able to see it. Actually it seems like they see their shadow it casts and it almost always spooks them, except that some times raccoons will look at their shadows or the light and then go back to feeding. However, I've used a red light on deer, raccoons, hogs and coyotes and they do not react to red light, with the exception of one hog that acted like he saw a pinkish-red light I was using although I can't rule out that he saw me moving instead. If the coyotes sees like those animals, I'd trust a red light over a green light.

I do know someone who has used a green laser-type light on coons and they didn't seem to notice. I'm open to the possibility that a green laser might be different than a green LED in terms of an animal's ability to detect it. I'm also open to hear from people who have used green lights on coyotes. I'd prefer to use green instead of red for filming purposes.
View Quote

I've used white led, green, and red for yote's , I agreed coons see green but don't notice red that much or at all. Yote's freeze up with any of them I've used IME.  I have a streamlight tlr and hog sniper(which has inserts for all 3) these are IMO the best, super powerful and tune my scopes into night vision w/o paying $3k and adding al that extra weight. I took 3 coons out of a tree by my goat pen with green light, work perfectly!

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#19]
.22 will work fine on a yote.  Don't use poison or you could end up in jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top