Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2015 7:15:27 PM EDT
For nighttime hunting, are there any animals whose presence indicates that no coyotes are nearby? So if you see one, you are out of luck for seeing a coyote anytime soon?
Deer?
Rabbit?
Raccoon?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Mountain lions. Coyotes and cats don't play together well.

Get an electronic caller with a locator call on it. I can usually strike them up every night just from my yard.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont mean to crash this thread..
Any recommendations on good electronic callers. michael256?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mountain lions. Coyotes and cats don't play together well.

Get an electronic caller with a locator call on it. I can usually strike them up every night just from my yard.
View Quote

No big cats up here, but quite a few feral cats, and a RARE bobcat
What about cotton tail rabbits? Seems like they hear well and should be terrified of coyotes?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The short answer to your question OP is: No.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#5]
The more game you see the more likely there is a coyote around waiting to grab something up.

For a budget but also reliable call, try to catch a Foxpro spitfire on sale at Cabela's. They were normally priced at $199.99, I got mine for $99
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#6]
if you see lots of red foxes I think they lack coyotes to prey upon them.  reds vanish = coyotes moving in.  greys can climb trees to be safe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Coyotes survive by making sure other animals (their prey/food) don't know they are around.....

So short answer nope, no way to tell.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
if you see lots of red foxes I think they lack coyotes to prey upon them.  reds vanish = coyotes moving in.  greys can climb trees to be safe.
View Quote

The last coyote job I did I pulled just as many foxes as coyotes. However it was an urban green zone and not rural property.

Foxes eat a lot of insects so they have a ready food source that they can use instead of meat. Coyotes will eat bugs too but are larger predators so will typically go after more meat sized meals.
They don't compete as much for the same food as some might think.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top