Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 2:59:41 PM EDT
I'm getting more into coyote calling every year and really want to transition over to hand calls. I have a few cheaper calls but want to get some good quality stuff. So I'm wanting to hear what's popular with you guys for distress calls, howlers, and other stuff necessary. I have looked into burnham brothers for the mini blaster and the tiny mouth squeakers but haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm just the opposite. I transitioned to a FoxPro soon after I called a bobcat from behind, right into the same juniper I was standing in.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
My distress calls are all varminator. My howler is a foxpro skyote, and the little keychain distress call that came with it works really well.  I have recently got some MFK diagram calls, the videos look great but I'm still working on them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had a lot of luck using a Knight and Hale Cottontail Predator (distress call) on both coyotes and bobcats.  It is an inexpensive call, but works fine. (<$10)

I also use a Foxpro electronic caller sometimes...primarily rabbit distress.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck on your transition..... A great Predator Hunter years ago asked me if I wanted to be a Predator Caller or a DJ..

E Callers have their place, but nothing sounds as good as a hand call.

Stay away from the cheap Chinese made plastic crap and try to stick to the custom call makers. For closed reeds I like this guy: THO
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I like open reed calls as you don't have to worry about them freezing up in cold weather. They do require some practice to get their use down. I also use E calls.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Tony Tebbes green nasty is a versatile call that works great.  I also use FoxPro, MFK and Lohmann calls
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tony Tebbes green nasty is a versatile call that works great.  I also use FoxPro, MFK and Lohmann calls
View Quote

I can't find any video of someone using that call, are there any videos on the web?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Which ones are you referring to?

Quoted:

I can't find any video of someone using that call, are there any videos on the web?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tony makes custom hand calls. I've only seen one in action, a howler, and it was good quality.

LINK
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot, sorry. I'm referring to the green nasty.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Tony makes custom hand calls. I've only seen one in action, a howler, and it was good quality.

LINK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LINK

I'm really liking those custom calls, wish the sound clips would work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I ordered a TT green nasty and a TT black creek howler. These will be my first open reed calls so it will take some practice but I'll report back when I figure out how they work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Green nasty is nice, but I usually use his TT extreme for most hand calling I do
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Green nasty is nice, but I usually use his TT extreme for most hand calling I do
View Quote

Good to know, I have a buddy that I hunt with that might order some TT calls as well, I might have him throw an extreme in that order. Hopefully the calls I got will show up soon and I'll see how they sound.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I have electronic callers but I have gotten in to hand calls just to be able to change things up.  I buy calls on predatormasters in the custom call makers section.  they have some nice calls that don't cost anymore than commercial calls in most cases ymmv.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 1:12:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have electronic callers but I have gotten in to hand calls just to be able to change things up.  I buy calls on predatormasters in the custom call makers section.  they have some nice calls that don't cost anymore than commercial calls in most cases ymmv.
View Quote

I've looked into that route a few times, do you just hang out in the for sale section and wait for something to pop up or is there a specific place to look at a selection of them?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I am on there quite a bit new calls come up every couple of days
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Wanted to update this, I got the TT black howler and the TT green nasty. Both have a good sound but will take me a while to learn how to utilize them properly, I plan on grabbing a TT mini and a TT extreme as well to cover any sound I'll need and for my gf to use as well. Overall I'm very pleased with what I see so far.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#19]
You got plenty of time to practice before the fur gets good again. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top