Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2015 9:11:18 PM EDT
I've seen a few Youtube videos where trappers will stick their hands in their leg hold traps to demonstrate they don't hurt. I have Duke #3 OS traps (2 coils) and I accidentally just got my thumb shut in one the other day (not snapped on it, just barely open) and I about had a panic attack trying to get it off and it hurt for 2 days. After having a stray dog bust his paw up a little bit the other day, I was going to investigate getting some softer catch traps in case any other hunting club members run their dogs for some reason and one finds it. I'd hate to have a club member pissed at me cause the trap gimped his dog's foot up. Any suggestions? (the actual hunters themselves stepping on one isn't really a concern. I stepped on one on purpose with my muck boot and didn't feel a thing as my foot was really too wide for it to get going.)
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a little bit better with my Google searching, it looks like laminated jaws are what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They make them with both rubber jaws and offset jaws, both reduce possible damage.

If the set is done right it should jump up and snap them above any of the joints in the foot, they will be sore but it shouldn't hurt anything. If a small critter gets in there though and stays in for long enough they could lose their foot.

We kept a possum once that was stuck in a #3 double coil one morning. His foot was all messed up so we brought him home and let him live in the tack room. Eventually his foot fell off and he just hung out eating grain and dog food until he decided to leave one day. All things considered he was pretty cool about the whole situation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top