Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2014 7:49:17 PM EDT
I want to get started with coyote hunting this winter.  I'm on a budget so mouth calls only- besides, I like the idea of the challenge of them.

I'm primarily caught up with what sounds I want to be able to make.  I assume the list is as follows:

cottontail distress
jackrabbit distress
squeaker
howl/bark/yip call

Is this a good list to start with? Do I need both a cottontail and a jackrabbit? Both species live in the areas I plan to hunt, but I'm not sure how different they sound.  Are there any calls I'm missing that are must-haves?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I use pretty much all the ones you list.

I have several variants of each, like a weems and Circe Jack rabbit call. They sound different enough.

You should be aware of Bobcats an mt lions. They're prevalent in Az
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been predator hunting since the mid-80's and I still use an old Circe call some of the time. I think hand calls sound better than electronic.

I read an article by the great Gerry Blair many years ago. It said " do you want to be a predator hunter or do you want to be a DJ"?

A closed reed rabbit in distress call is all you need...... good luck.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

So don't bother with other calls?

I have a cottontail call right now I'm practicing with, but I'm not sure what else I need.  I don't want to waste my time trying to hunt without the right equipment to be successful.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have a cottontail call right now I'm practicing with, but I'm not sure what else I need.  I don't want to waste my time trying to hunt without the right equipment to be successful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all you need. Pick up a jackrabbit if you see one cheap and/or you want a few different sounding reeds, but it's not needed. What you have has been calling in coyotes for decades..... good luck.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always had good luck with hurt/distressed woodpecker call.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a lot of coyote vocals and rabbit/rodent distress sounds. I'd personally get a versatile open reed call and a squeaker at a minimum.
Where in Arizona are you going to be?
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use a lot of coyote vocals and rabbit/rodent distress sounds. I'd personally get a versatile open reed call and a squeaker at a minimum.
Where in Arizona are you going to be?
View Quote

Tucson area.  When I get back I need to do some scouting, but I think I'll try some of the state trust land off of 77 or 79 north of town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top