Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2014 6:47:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#1]
223 with a 40 grain v-max. Just be sure to avoid the shoulder bones going in. You might have trouble with a 1-7 twist use a 1-9 or slower if you have it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Try for a straight on shot.  Anything I have ever shot varmint wise quartering or broadside blew a softball sized hole out the other side.  A straight on shot always made a nice clean hole with no exit wound.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
22 short / snake shot or really fine birdshot
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
22 short / snake shot or really fine birdshot
View Quote

For a head shot on varmints in a foot hold maybe...past that kind of distance you won't be killing anything.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So I'm working my way into predator hunting and I would like to eventually save the furs.  One concern I have is cartridge and bullet selection.  I would like to use one of my .223 AR's, but I worry that .223 has too much oomph and will cause unnecessary damage to the pelt.  One option would be to load up some varmint style bullets, but are they capable of penetrating into the vitals if they strike bone or will they explode with the fragments not penetrating deep enough to ensure a quick kill?  I worry if I use a Partition or other soft point/hunting bullet it will blow out the opposite side, leaving a large exit hole behind.

Another option I'm considering is picking up a rifle chambered in .22 Hornet or perhaps .22 Magnum.  I figure I could use a hunting bullet in those cartridges and get enough penetration to take out the vitals without blowing a big hole out of the other side.

What say the hive?  For those of you that keep pelts, what cartridges and bullets do you prefer to use?
View Quote

Go to a website (www.PredatorMasters.com) and search around there...lots of good info.
I didn't want to hot link .......
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on size of animal and range.

I really like my .17hmr. But we get some big coyotes here that I would want something bigger to bring them down. But with good shot placement I wouldn't feel undergunned with it. And mine is accurate well beyond 100 yards.

I mainly trap for predators and a .22 pistol is what I use on the line.

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
17Remington if you want to save fur.

If I had to go back to using my AR, it would be with 60gr V-max's in front of 24gr of Benchmark(I think). They usually didn't exit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had great results with 223 varmint rounds.  No exits and usually DRT.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#10]
the hornady 52 and 53 grain hp match bullets work good.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
223 with a 40 grain v-max. Just be sure to avoid the shoulder bones going in. You might have trouble with a 1-7 twist use a 1-9 or slower if you have it.
View Quote

There's also the .204 with a 32-grain VMAX or the poly-tipped SBKs...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top