Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2014 8:49:42 PM EDT
I live in a semi rural neighborhood.  Most lots are around 3 acres in size.  There is a fox that has been hanging around my house sporadically for a few months.  In the past it has been late at night when it showed up.  Today it showed at 7:25pm, still day light.  I can't use conibear traps because of neighborhood animals. I can't shoot at it because of the other houses in the area.  

I am planning on using a live trap that I use for raccoons but I have no idea what to bait it with.  Give me a few opinions on what you would do.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a can of tuna fish or meat, the kind with a roll or pull back lid, and set it away from where you are with the lid partially open. Once it's eaten, move it closer and open the lid on another one a bit more, repeat that and on the 4th or 5th time set it under a drop trap and nab them.
The worst you could do is catch a neighbors pet plus you could have some fun.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Good idea.  I think my trap may be a little too small.  I left animal control a message to call me.  I think I am going to borrow there larger trap.

Inviting the man into my life....  I have failed
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity, why do you want to get rid of it?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Get onto F&T Post and find a good fox urine, put it on a stick in the back of the live trap.  You might get lucky.  I'd avoid any kind of fishy bait, you'll catch all the neighborhood cats, then possum, then raccoons, and probably never the fox unless it is really stupid.  

Calling in animal control isn't a defeat.. fox are very very tricky to catch even for an experienced trapper.  I rarely go after them, the time input for setting for fox is way too high, I can set for ten raccoons in the time it takes to make a good effective fox set.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, why do you want to get rid of it?
View Quote

This. He's doing you a favor unless he's causing you a specific issue.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have them where I live and I've been trying to catch one for years with no success. All I end up with is possums, coons, and sometimes the neighbor's cats (I use a live trap too). I haven't tried the fox piss trick yet, though.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd first make sure fox are in season for trapping, and or hunting before doing either. I know they aren't in season in most states right now. So if your plan is to have it stuffed, or pelt it out. Your gonna have a hellofa time finding someone to do it.

Fox don't hurt anything to have around, and as stated most likely doing you a favor by keeping mice out of the large yards, and cleaning up scraps that folks leave out. They'll also eat snakes, frogs, lizards, and a lot of other small nuisance critters.

ETA: Fox are pretty smart animals. So putting a stick with fox urine in a live trap will most likely do nothing but waste your time, and money.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not advise using a live trap. They are too smart for that. I know some people have had occasional luck with live traps on canines like fox or yotes but it seems pretty rare.

Also, I doubt it is in season, unless you are doing some type of ADC work, animal damage control. For my state of MO, I would get calls all year for ADC from people in the city. I could trap them out of season but I had to let members of MDC know about what I was doing and how many I harvested.

I used leg holds in the city, then would use a catch pole to move them from the trap into a transportation container to be dispatched outside of city limits. Sometimes I would catch a stray dog or cat and remove them from the trap and turn them lose with out any damage to their paw. As long as you know what proper size trap to use.

Also if that fox isnt causing you a problem I would leave it. Unless you have a bunch of cats around or fowl. Then they will be going after those.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
From a ADC/WDC stand point on live trapping a fox, you will need a bigger live trap than would be used for a raccoon issue and for bait you will need to refine it down to target just the fox.

The key to getting a fox into a live trap is to cover the live trap up with something, make it a hole to investigate..

Using a Fox gland lure and fox urine would be a great start.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top