Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2014 9:04:58 AM EDT
I've been researching callers pretty heavily and would love to get out and do a little coyote hunting, but I'm still at a loss for what people's recommendations might be. I've looked at all the foxpros as well as the icotec caller and for the money, the icotec seems to get some really good reviews. I'm not sure I want to commit as much money as what the new foxpros go for just because I've never gotten to go coyote hunting before and want to make sure that I enjoy it before I commit too much money to it.

Does anybody here use the icotec gc300 caller? For $75, it seems to be spot on with what I'm willing to spend to begin with and even with adding the mojo critter decoy, I can get everything shipped to my house for about $115. Are there any recommendations from you guys on a different approach to all of this?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i've said this a few times, but i'll say it again...  i have a FoxPro Wildfire II.  its fine, but i have outgrown it and the remote sucks.  i am saving up my Cabela's points for a FoxPro Shockwave or Prairie Blaster.  they have larger speakers (louder with less distortion) and better remotes.

i am no expert and i have not looked at very many other e-calls except FoxPro.  but i would also suggest buying from a company who has been around a long time, has great customer service, lifetime warranty and made in USA.  FoxPro fits that bill.  YMMV
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That's good to hear about the Foxpros and your experience with them. I really just think that they're a little bit more money than I'm willing to spend right off the bat when I have never even done any prior coyote hunting.

How about decoys? Do you have any experience with them at all? Is there a brand or certain piece that you prefer over others?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
again i am no expert, but i have a few.  i primarily use the MOJO Critter for coyotes and raccoons.  i also have the FoxPro FoxJack (i think thats what its called, but not a fan of it) and i just bought the Quiver Critter to try a more life-like appeal.  you'll get a lot of responses to this too.  some people just use a simple feather or tinsel tied to a stick, especially for bobcats.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Save the money you are going to spend on the cheaper call and buy a fox pro. Are they expensive.....yes, but worth every penny.  You can load/unload sounds as needed to cover a ton of different hunting. I use mine for crows, coons, yotes and fox.

You can step into an entry level fox pro for under $200 and they are worth every penny.  I have taken the approach you are contemplating I wasn't happy and wasted money on a cheapo call. Then I purchased my first Fox Pro, a spitfire within 2 years bought a Fire Storm. Wish I would have just dropped the $400 for the fire storm in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been researching callers pretty heavily and would love to get out and do a little coyote hunting, but I'm still at a loss for what people's recommendations might be. I've looked at all the foxpros as well as the icotec caller and for the money, the icotec seems to get some really good reviews. I'm not sure I want to commit as much money as what the new foxpros go for just because I've never gotten to go coyote hunting before and want to make sure that I enjoy it before I commit too much money to it.

Does anybody here use the icotec gc300 caller? For $75, it seems to be spot on with what I'm willing to spend to begin with and even with adding the mojo critter decoy, I can get everything shipped to my house for about $115. Are there any recommendations from you guys on a different approach to all of this?
View Quote
I have one, and so far I'm impressed. The first time out, I was getting a response with it from a pack of coyotes that were near my buddy's farm. I'm new to predator calling and hunting, so I can't compare it to a FoxPro. However, my good friend is an avid predator caller, and he said the icotecs use "good sounds".

My GC300 seems to be a very well  made unit, and battery life thus far has been good. I have yet to bag a coyote, but I've only been out a hand full of times. This winter was so harsh that I gave up trying while it was sub zero with the wind chills.

Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out allpredatorcalls.com they are a fox pro dealer and had the best price I could find. I got the firestorm and a simple feather on a stick for a decoy. Haven't gotten to use it yet but will soon I hope.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It will be in your best interest to bite the bullet and just buy a good call to start with!!  I also prefer FoxPro calls. I have had a few of them and they were all great callers. I just liked some of the newer features they came out with and kept upgrading. I now have a 'Shockwave' and really see no reason to buy another call ever as it will do every thing I want.

You can find good used callers at predatormasters.com and save yourself some cash if you can't afford a new one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a  Minaska Ultimate One and love it. They aren't cheap!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Save the money you are going to spend on the cheaper call and buy a fox pro. Are they expensive.....yes, but worth every penny.  You can load/unload sounds as needed to cover a ton of different hunting. I use mine for crows, coons, yotes and fox.

You can step into an entry level fox pro for under $200 and they are worth every penny.  I have taken the approach you are contemplating I wasn't happy and wasted money on a cheapo call. Then I purchased my first Fox Pro, a spitfire within 2 years bought a Fire Storm. Wish I would have just dropped the $400 for the fire storm in the first place.
View Quote

I just got a firestorm on ebay last night for 280.  50 more for a fox jack.  I have never used a decoy before so I hope it works good.  Im trying to shoot yotes with a 357 airgun so I am limited to 80-100 yards, need to get them in close for 1 good shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top