Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 3:24:01 PM EDT
Hey guys I am new to this forum and somewhat new to hunting with an AR (more specifically, I am very new to the types of attachments involved in setting up an AR for a specific purpose); I have been a bolt gun guy all my life. This site seems to have a knowledgable and respectful community and that is why I decided to join.

I just recently finished building a lighter AR for hunting coyotes. My geographical location for hunting is farmland -- the flattest, most open, and obstacle-free farmland. I am having trouble figuring out what optic to run. Right now I have Yankee Hill flips. I don't know if magnification will be helpful as I will need quick acquisition. Also, we do a lot of night-time 'yote hunts and I am not sure if reflex style set-ups will have too much glare. Should I invest in some better irons like Troy? Max range is 200 yards and that is a big MAX. Average range is about 100 yards.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:46:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I went hunting yotes the first time and had no real idea what I was doing had 3 buddies with me so I brought 4 different types of rifles. I did figure this out, irons are worthless, cheap scopes do ok but my Leupold s and my Nikon did great. with a little moon light you  could easily see 200yds.

I would go with the Nikon P-223 or they have a Coyote line.

Leupold AR.

Should work in be in that under $300 range, others will chime in with some ideas.

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Midway USA has a Nikon P-223 3-9x scope on sale for $150 with free shipping.  Sale ends today!  That is a savings of about $50 over Walmart.  This is a descent scope and has a BDC reticle designed for a 55gr plastic tip bullet like the Hornady V-MAX.  Also Recommend the Burris P.E.P.R. scope mount as it comes with 2 sets of top rings, smooth and picatinny so you can easily mount a shooting light on top of your scope.

I just put this same scope and mount on my daughter's AR today and I really like the setup.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Low magnification, big objective is what you want if night time is a possibility.  I'd look for something with a 50 mm objective, that'll bring in a lot of light.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with a 1-4x and you'll be happy, especially within 200m and with 100m as your average. I prefer the Burris MTAC, mostly due to the fact that it works like a big objective red dot sight on 1x, but anything similar to that will work just fine. Hell, even a red dot will work just fine at those ranges, and will help with quick acquisition and to keep your AR lightweight. I've whacked a lot of predators with my AR and a red dot sight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like my Nikon P-223 in the fixed 3x.
It gives me plenty of magnification to get shots out to about 250 yards
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Primary Arms Compact is a sweet scope.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at the Weaver Kaspa. I have the 1-6x X 32. I know, made in China but it has the Weaver name and warranty. The glass coatings and eye relief are not the best but what I like about it, it has a nice BDC reticle and it has illuminated black crosshairs. In low light you can follow an animal and as the crosshairs pass over a dark area the illumination will still make them visible. It is a really nice feature for transitioning from bright to dark fields of view. I'm really glad I decided to pick it up when PSA and Weaver had them on sale.

I'm in need of another scope and I think my next scope will also be illuminated. Maybe Primary Arms. Maybe one day and Leupold or Weaver.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at a red dot if you want to be quick with it, or look for an illuminated 1-X scope.  I have a 1-6 Firefield that I can shoot with both eyes open.  it's illuminated so I can use it as a red dot as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a cheapo Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x50. It shoots great, has very clear optics, and it has never missed. Best of all, I think it can be had for around $150 right now just about anywhere.

In late 2012 I shot this little kitty at 237yds. with this scope. No problem! She was 20lbs..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top