Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I finished the first portion of our rifle season with two weekends of awesome hunts.  The crazy part is I never even pulled a trigger.

First weekend I took a friend of mine who had never hunted on his first deer camp experience.  The weeks before he shot a 270 for the first time and got familiar with it.  

On opening morning he shot a nice doe at 35 yards out of my pop up blind.   We got to watch her for about 45min as she worked her way up to us.   Did a prefect shot when she turned sideways and went like 15 yards and we watched her fall.  He also learned how to dress and quarter and did good work with the knives.

This past Saturday I took my daughter with me who's a freshman in college.  She shattered her right foot on Oct. 30th and is in a full cast but she asked if I'd still take her and I would never dream of saying no.

It was allot of work on my end and toughness on her end but we had 5 awesome hunts together and saw over 17 deer that were within rifle range.  We had 2 big bucks that never gave her a good shot, so she decided to fill her doe tag on Saturday morning so we weren't processing in the dark.  She made a prefect shot with same 270 at 90 yards,  and she dropped right there,  at least making it sort of easy for me.

I still have tags to fill and I'll try to take my 11yr old daughter out for her first trip this year too.  If only we could hunt everyday and forget about work and life...

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 11:45:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MORifleman] [#2]
My wife shot a little 8 pointer Saturday night for MO rifle season.  She shot him at about 70 yards broadside and he did a big mule kick just like you want to see. He ran about 10 yards and then just started walking like nothing happened. I told her to hit him again, but he was quartered away pretty hard for the second shot. This time he ran into the tall grass where we couldn't see him anymore.

We found him shortly into the grass. When I field dressed him, I found that her two entrances were basically touching, right where you would want them to be. I also found both bullets up against the hide on the opposite side. The first one was right behind his far shoulder and the second one was in the base of his neck because of the quartered way shot.

The rifle is a 14.5" 6.8 SPC with a Trijicon 3-9. It's perfect for her and about as handy as it gets. Ammo was 90 gr Gold Dots with AA2200 powder. I use Gold Dots in other calibers for hunting too, and they just plain work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice shooting! Very cool you found both bullets,  congrats to your wife on a good buck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas Buck taken opening weekend. Interesting 7pt that we had been watching a couple years. He has always been a 7pt, so we knew he wasn't going to change. Uncommonly long brow tines (g1?) for the area, which made him very unique. The right side turns up instead of out, so it is difficult to get a pic of that side. Big body for a texas deer at 160lbs on a hanging spring scale. 115 yard shot with a 7mm Rem Mag, handloaded 140gr Sierra Game King behind H4831sc. Stumbled about 15yd after a slight quartering toward shot. Entry seen in the pic, no exit.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#5]
My deer from this year.
Attachment Attached File

My son has the black powder tag and has been trying to get the buck in the background of this shot. I took this at 5:14 tonight at the end of the driveway. Both are stud blacktails!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RifleDisciple:
Texas Buck taken opening weekend. Interesting 7pt that we had been watching a couple years. He has always been a 7pt, so we knew he wasn't going to change. Uncommonly long brow tines (g1?) for the area, which made him very unique. The right side turns up instead of out, so it is difficult to get a pic of that side. Big body for a texas deer at 160lbs on a hanging spring scale. 115 yard shot with a 7mm Rem Mag, handloaded 140gr Sierra Game King behind H4831sc. Stumbled about 15yd after a slight quartering toward shot. Entry seen in the pic, no exit.

https://i.imgur.com/ng66GKu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UCC530h.jpg
View Quote

Hell of a nice buck for a 7!
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:52:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spuddicus] [#7]
Shot this  9pointer 11/13 on our annual hunt in central NC

Attachment Attached File

Not bad for a NC deer not in the mountains.  Been a slow season otherwise.

Suppressed .243
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Romney WV 10 pt. Browning Abolt Medallion with Zeiss Conquest 270WSM. 145grn ELDX reloads.

1130am opening morning. Deer was facing me about 140 yards down a ridge. Shot dead center of chest, rolled over backwards. 1lung was mush and damaged heart.

" />

Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:55:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#9]
Got this 7 pointer today in Orange, VA.

Dropped him with a Fed 150gr 308 softpoint at 120 yards and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

Went to get my truck and when I came back he popped his head up and started swiveling it back and forth (body still where he dropped) so I put him down with a couple 40s&w rounds to the neck.  Very odd - guess my bullet clipped his spine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 9:45:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoVa] [#10]

knocked two over this morning. both in their tracks.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Got this one thanksgiving evening. NE burnet county. First deer off my home stead.

Sad thing is Saturday I had one come in that makes this one look like a baby. Buck fever got the best of me and thing I missed. Could find no blood or other signs of a hit. Started raining hard so I will try looking again Sunday.
I hunt from the back deck of my house so the trip to my stand takes 30 seconds to my hunting chair.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ggibbs] [#13]
This has been a bizarre year for deer. We had a horrible summer with relentless, scorching temps over 100° and little rain. Most stock tanks dried and there was almost no green grass in the pastures. Yet, here in on this place I've seen some really nice racks, especially considering the conditions of summer.

I enjoy hunting sort of minimalist. I mostly hunt on the ground in a brush blind and have alternated between a 92 Rossi .357 Magnum and an old H&R Topper single shot in 30-30 that may parents gave me Christmas 1972. Both have open sights. But day before yesterday I grabbed one of my IBM-produced M1 Carbine's and a magazine of handloaded 110 gr. SP's for the trip down back behind the house. About 30 minutes before dark this hoss walked out a bit over 40 yards from my little brush blind and stopped broadside to stare. At the shot he humped up a hauled ass. I knew I made a good shot and expected him to be a few dozen yards away in the mesquites. Wrong. After combing the pasture I found him almost a 1/2 hour later over 150 yds. away. The shot hit perfectly between two ribs, passing through the left lung, angling back (guess he wasn't perfectly broadside after all!) through the part of the stomach then exited between the last two ribs. I was shocked at the damage wrought by that small bullet.
 He is a 10 point (-2 broken brow tines) with a 19 3/4" inside spread and field dressed at exactly 140 lbs. While not the heaviest buck I've ever killed on the place, definitely the largest rack.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ggibbs:
This has been a bizarre year for deer. We had a horrible summer with relentless, scorching temps over 100° and little rain. Most stock tanks dried and there was almost no green grass in the pastures. Yet, here in on this place I've seen some really nice racks, especially considering the conditions of summer.

I enjoy hunting sort of minimalist. I mostly hunt on the ground in a brush blind and have alternated between a 92 Rossi .357 Magnum and an old H&R Topper single shot in 30-30 that may parents gave me Christmas 1972. Both have open sights. But day before yesterday I grabbed one of my IBM-produced M1 Carbine's and a magazine of handloaded 110 gr. SP's for the trip down back behind the house. About 30 minutes before dark this hoss walked out a bit over 40 yards from my little brush blind and stopped broadside to stare. At the shot he humped up a hauled ass. I knew I made a good shot and expected him to be a few dozen yards away in the mesquites. Wrong. After combing the pasture I found him almost a 1/2 hour later over 150 yds. away. The shot hit perfectly between two ribs, passing through the left lung, angling back (guess he wasn't perfectly broadside after all!) through the part of the stomach then exited between the last two ribs. I was shocked at the damage wrought by that small bullet.
 He is a 10 point (-2 broken brow tines) with a 19 3/4" inside spread and field dressed at exactly 140 lbs. While not the heaviest buck I've ever killed on the place, definitely the largest rack.

https://i.imgur.com/cOOUkjal.jpg https://i.imgur.com/UpWTk2fl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/CFRMfKZl.jpg

View Quote

Stud for sure!!
(Deer I mean)
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]
We didn't see a damn thing move,  or any day deer on camera, the entire week.

Flip side is 3 half days and one full day with my son in his first season
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ar15hookem:
https://i.ibb.co/PxMp6hQ/IMG-0429.jpg

Got this one thanksgiving evening. NE burnet county. First deer off my home stead.

Sad thing is Saturday I had one come in that makes this one look like a baby. Buck fever got the best of me and thing I missed. Could find no blood or other signs of a hit. Started raining hard so I will try looking again Sunday.
I hunt from the back deck of my house so the trip to my stand takes 30 seconds to my hunting chair.
View Quote

And shot with a very nice classic too! Any story on the rifle? Heirloom or something you bought because you liked it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#17]

https://i.imgur.com/cOOUkjal.jpg https://i.imgur.com/UpWTk2fl.jpg https://i.imgur.com/CFRMfKZl.jpg

View Quote

With the broken tines he was a scrapper for sure. Hopefully he passed his genes on. Nice one!
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Kentucky Rifle Season opening weekend
Armalite 7.62x39 AR
Brown Bear Steel Cased 123 gr SoftPoint Ammo
Shot less than 50 yards.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Only saw this fella and his pack today. They were trying to isolate a calf in the neighboring field so I alleviated the pack of one.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: esa17] [#20]
Attachment Attached File

My first deer in nearly 10 years is no wall hanger but he definitely filled the freezer and lit a fire in my sons.

My wife and I did our own processing…

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

My 143 ELD-X handloads dropped the deer at 204 yards, he kicked 3x and then expired where he fell.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ar15hookem:
https://i.ibb.co/PxMp6hQ/IMG-0429.jpg

View Quote

LOVE that old take down Savage! It's really nice to see pictures of hunting rifles that aren't AR's. What caliber is the Savage?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Washing her out before I skin it and started butchering this morning Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:58:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whitetailnut] [#23]
Son didn't get to hunt much this year, so the wife stepped in and picked up the slack.
75 yards --Savage 220 slug/Remington AccuTips

45 yards-- Remington 700 .243/Remington 100grn Core-lokts

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
2023 KS archery buck.

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VaFish] [#26]
little Virginia 7 point ( would have been 8 if he hadn't broken a brow tine)

I was hunting over a little ravine,  He was chasing a doe, she stopped in the bottom of the ravine about 15 yards in front of me.  He stopped about 70 yards out, facing right towards me.    Rifle is a Ruger American Ranch in .450 Bushmaster.  Can is a Rex Silentium MG7.  Ammo was Hornady 250 gr black.  One shot in the chest and he dropped like you turned off his life switch.   Not a kick or movement after the shot.   The doe hung around for 6 minutes and I had 2 more buck come up chasing her, a spike and a fork horn.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:44:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#29]
Got my biggest buck ever - 11pts 20.5  on my land in Orange, VA.  

Caught him on the move just before sundown.  Used my FNUSA PBR-XP in  308, Federal 150gr softpoint in the scapula dropped him in his tracks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#30]
My next podcast episode will have interviews with hunters on how the season went.  If any of you are interested in a phone interview, email me at [email protected].  My latest show was all via phone. I am linking it so you can see the quality of it.  Thanks.
STS #2 Shooting the Breeze on Thanksgiving

Link Posted: 12/3/2023 3:29:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Been trying to get a shot at this guy during archery season , but no such luck !
Attachment Attached File

On the second day of firearms season he showed up trailing a doe.
SCAR 17 , 115 yards , double lung shot went 20 yards,
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 7:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whitetailnut] [#32]
Originally Posted By ARx3:
Been trying to get a shot at this guy during archery season , but no such luck !
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18024/10_PT_2023_Cam_jpeg-3048228.JPG

On the second day of firearms season he showed up trailing a doe.
SCAR 17 , 115 yards , double lung shot went 20 yards,
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18024/10_PT_2023_jpg-3048232.JPG
View Quote

Pic deer appears to have 5 on the left side, dead deer has 5 on the right side......Nice buck either way
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Got this guy this morning.  Came in right at first light.  Could barely see him through my irons, but got the shot lined up at about 40m or so.  Rolled him, and watched him take off down a dry creek bed and then up a hill.  Found him about 20m or so past where I lost sight of him.  

This guy, along with a little antlerless one I got on Friday, brings my season to a close.  Just wish my wife would have some luck now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:30:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoudLyle] [#34]
Originally Posted By whitetailnut:

Pic deer appears to have 5 on the left side, dead deer has 5 on the right side......Nice buck either way
View Quote

That looks like the tip of his brow tine not a 5th point on the left in the trail cam picture
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Coyote with a crossbow

Daughter got her 2nd deer

I got my biggest rack ever 163/150-1/8

Only year to ever beat it was 2020 when my daughter and wife got their 1st bucks and I shot the heaviest deer I’ve ever gotten

That 2020 season

Link Posted: 12/4/2023 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
My 19 yo son, pure albino mature doe killed on Friday the 13th in October... let's see what the superstitions bring

Compound bow.

https://i.imgur.com/EmZ1rrN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/l9hVY8B.jpg
View Quote

That’s wild-I hope y’all kept the whole hide!
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 9:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARx3] [#37]
Originally Posted By whitetailnut:

View Quote

Although you can not see it in either picture he is actually a 10 point with 5 on each side.
Notice both smaller points on each side.Here's a better view.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ARx3:

Although you can not see it in either picture he is actually a 10 point with 5 on each side.
Notice both smaller points on each side.Here's a better view.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18024/10_PT_2023_Better_View_jpg-3049662.JPG
View Quote

lucky... PA sucks ass. i wish i could hunt with my 17 ;(
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Little guy with her AR

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 11:17:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#40]
Another first success. A friend from work has been hunting with me tbe last couple years, I got the only shots last year and filled his tag. This year it was reversed. He got his first deer, then managed to get a shot today and filled my tag. Now he's hooked.

His first
Attachment Attached File

Savage Axis in .350 Legend.

Didn't bother with pics for the second, just a yearling that was better than tag soup. One more vacation day left so we're going out for pheasants tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY] [#41]
Daughter got her tag filled.  Mule deer doe at 130 yards.  Weatherby Vanguard compact in .243.  Barnes factory 80gr TTSX.  Had her on a couple of bucks but couldn't put it together.  Tough season and deer numbers appear to be down significantly.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
Daughter got her tag filled.  Mule deer doe at 130 yards.  Weatherby Vanguard compact in .243.  Barnes factory 80gr TTSX.  Had her on a couple of bucks but couldn't put it together.  Tough season and deer numbers appear to be down significantly.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/231293/1000003994_jpg-3051106.JPG
View Quote

Looks like a nice size doe, should taste good!
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#43]
Gun season was pretty good for us my oldest son hammered a doe and button buck with his 350L I got a doe the next day and a nice 9pt(19.5 inside G2 almost 12") the day after to fill all our tags. My buck has the nicest cape I've ever seen don't have good pics but the white on his brisket goes up his neck ways

Link Posted: 12/7/2023 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#44]

LOVE that old take down Savage! It's really nice to see pictures of hunting rifles that aren't AR's. What caliber is the Savage?
View Quote

The rifle is in 250-3000 and came out of the factory October 1923. 100 years and shoots better then the owner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#46]
#3 for the 2023 season.

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Got em
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:18:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: longhunter09] [#48]
Not the biggest rack, but big body for an Alabama buck. Probably 160-170 lbs field dressed. Took him yesterday. He came in at daylight and ran off a little 6 point that was hanging with a doe in front of my stand. Shot him at 50 yards with Speer 62 gr. GDSP and dropped him in his tracks. I also took two does earlier in the season. It's been a good year. Made heart fajitas this evening.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Attachment Attached File

central Alabama.  Crazy how 30-50 miles east in Georgia rut comes mid november, it's MLK week like clockwork at the hunting lease.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 2:41:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By longhunter09:
Not the biggest rack, but big body for an Alabama buck. Probably 160-170 lbs field dressed. Took him yesterday. He came in at daylight and ran off a little 6 point that was hanging with a doe in front of my stand. Shot him at 50 yards with Speer 62 gr. GDSP and dropped him in his tracks. I also took two does earlier in the season. It's been a good year. Made heart fajitas this evening.
https://i.postimg.cc/D0JsJFHL/20231230-065124.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/G2LP3JtZ/20231230-065510.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/1XLNFpRR/20231230-064842.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/7PdSvGJV/20231231-170912.jpg
View Quote

Heart is the best ! Everyone is like hell no to organ meat but once they try it they are believers.

We cooked up deer and beef liver for a comparison one night the deer wasn't near as good

Flavor was good but it was awful tough I still always save it but I slice it up for the farm dog. I probably should try it again.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top