Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2017 2:42:55 AM EDT
I was wondering if deer can see vermillion.  I read they are color blind, and have a hard time seeing red & orange.  Since vermillion appears to be redish/orange, I figure they would possibly have a hard time distinguishing this color.  

Just wondering because I picked up a jacket in this color and figured I could use it hunting..
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 3:23:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've worn just about every color when out deer hunting.  Movement is what has always busted me, followed by smell during a shifting wind.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've worn just about every color when out deer hunting.  Movement is what has always busted me, followed by smell during a shifting wind.
View Quote
This.

In the seasons where orange isn't required, I wear whatever is comfortable and appropriate for the conditions.
The very little camo I own was bought for it's scentlock properties, not color or pattern.
Movement and scent are what spooks them.

I will wear a mask if I'm ground hunting to break up the outline of my face though... but I can't really say it makes a difference.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
A lot of deer will smell you (or where you've been) before you see each other.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Been washing gear with no scent and no whiteners.  Was 30 yards from a doe when we spotted each others movement.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Deer have two color receptors, along with significantly different visual response than humans.

See:
http://www.atsko.com/how-game-animals-see-smell/

It's not that deer can't see blaze orange, it's that it is low on their visual sensitivity so that a bright object in that color looks medium tone to them. It would look the same as a dark green or brown.

The biggest difference is that their blue vision is substantially better, along with a lot of sensitivity in the UV spectrum that humans can't see at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top