Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 3:07:01 PM EDT
For the last 6-8 weeks I've been working on building a skinning shed and thought I would share. The shed is 32x20, with two 16x20' bays so to speak. I plan to pour concrete in the left side and completely close it in, insulate it and install a wall mount heat and air unit. The right side will be closed in on the back and right side and I'll put gravel down. In the far right corner I plan pour 6'x6' concrete slab with a drain and an electric winch over it to lift deer with. I will be installing a stainless commercial sink next to the skinning pad and the stainless table below will be next to that so I can lift deer up, skin them, rinse the meat and trim it up on the large oak cutting block I made and vacuum seal it. Below are some pictures of the building so far, the table I got used from a restaurant and some cutting boards I made, the biggest of which will be used to process venison. Since I have taken these photos I have ran water and power to the building.

If you have built a skinning shed yourself please share!

Link Posted: 6/5/2017 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks nice so far.  

I think it might have been easier to pour the slab first though.  You could have also used the slab to anchor the corner posts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 7:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice so far.  

I think it might have been easier to pour the slab first though.  You could have also used the slab to anchor the corner posts.
View Quote
You are correct, this started off as an off the cuff project because I had some spare materials left over from another project and got a good deal on the metal roofing. When I set the post I intended on building the floor in the half I'm going to close in completely with salt treated lumber and have it elevated off the ground then as priced the lumber I decided to check the price on concrete and it ended up being cheaper to do concrete so I added some dirt to level it up on that side now I'm going to form up for the concrete. I think it will workout ok . Up to this point I've only got about 500$ in the building and it has most definitely been a learning experience.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I'm ashamed to even talk about my setup compared to that

I just use a barn overhang and a stainless table.  It's an upgrade from using a front end loader wherever they fall  This season I'm planning to rig up some 12v leds with a battery and small solar panel so I won't need headlights or a head lamp.

Tagged to steal some ideas!
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Man I'm ashamed to even talk about my setup compared to that

I just use a barn overhang and a stainless table.  It's an upgrade from using a front end loader wherever they fall  This season I'm planning to rig up some 12v leds with a battery and small solar panel so I won't need headlights or a head lamp.

Tagged to steal some ideas!
View Quote
No shame in that at all man. For years I've gutted them in the field (which I'll still do) and took them back to the hay shed on the farm and gotten dads tractor and picked them up with the forks. It's better than nothing but way less than ideal. No running water there, if it's early season it's full of hay, not a lot of lighting so you need headlights on the tractor or a headlamp and it's just a pole shed so there is no protection from the wind and you have to put the meat in a cooler and take it to the house to trim and pack. I just finally decided that I wanted a one stop shop with good lighting, water and protection from the wind
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Our garage is our skinning shed.  

I mounted a pulley in the ceiling...Back the vehicle in, rope around the neck and hooked to trailer hitch on the other side, pull forward and up it goes.  

Keeps me dry when its wet, and warm when it cold.  Hose off, repeat as necessary.  I even have extra trash cans for what's left, they go to the curb on trash day.  

My wife finally hunted with me last year, and killed a really good 10 pt.  But generally, she HATES deer season.  LMAO.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:03:46 AM EDT
[#6]
It's missing the hanging cooler.  J/k. Looks good man.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Our garage is our skinning shed.  

I mounted a pulley in the ceiling...Back the vehicle in, rope around the neck and hooked to trailer hitch on the other side, pull forward and up it goes.  

Keeps me dry when its wet, and warm when it cold.  Hose off, repeat as necessary.  I even have extra trash cans for what's left, they go to the curb on trash day.  

My wife finally hunted with me last year, and killed a really good 10 pt.  But generally, she HATES deer season.  LMAO.
View Quote
I tried that but it got me fussed at by the wife so I decided to build my own!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's missing the hanging cooler.  J/k. Looks good man.
View Quote
I've got the power and the room so it could happen down the road!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool. Is there accessible water? You have room for a sink/basin?

Add lights and it's even better (I've skinned lots of critters in the headlights, but real overhead lighting is better).
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Add lights and it's even better (I've skinned lots of critters in the headlights, but real overhead lighting is better).
View Quote
Yes sir, a water line had been ran to the building along with power and the panel box is up. I'll be putting the lights in soon..... lots of lights. I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a used stainless commercial sink now to go along with the table I got.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes sir, a water line had been ran to the building along with power and the panel box is up. I'll be putting the lights in soon..... lots of lights. I'm on the hunt for a good deal on a used stainless commercial sink now to go along with the table I got.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like you're doing it right, then.

I heartily approve.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I looked at this sink today. It's nice, has leaves and crud on it from sitting outside but nothing that wouldn't wash off. It's a little bigger than what I have been looking for but it will fit. I told the owner I'd have to measure to see if it would fit like I want it to and it will. He said he wanted 300$ for it..... I think I'm going to offer him 200$ for it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks good.  We just got an autopsy table for our shed.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Looks good.  We just got an autopsy table for our shed.  
View Quote
Ha, that's a great idea.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Reinforce the location where you will will winch your deer. I have seen rafters break over the years. Also, make it taller than you think. Looking good, by the way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Reinforce the location where you will will winch your deer. I have seen rafters break over the years. Also, make it taller than you think. Looking good, by the way.
View Quote
A single deer carefully lifted shouldn't exceed the rating.  A jerky pull with a truck and you might be finding a flaw in the wood.   I had my garage shell built last year and when the crew cleared out the reinforced beam was put in.  I made mine out of two 2x6s with plywood spacers and sufficiently long to span four of the trusses.   My bottom chords were only 2x4 so spreading the load was a necessity.  If I was on my game I would have looked at 2x6 bottom chords.   Anyways my beam has a threaded eye bolt inserted in the gap in the beam and two oversized fenderwashers and a nut and a nylock nut.  I could probably hang an engine but I will stick to deer.

I could have picked up a whole meat cutters set up but I don't want it all.   It's the ceiling trolley rack, table, meat saw, grinder, jerky tools.  All I would really want is the table and maybe the grinder if it's a solid one.

Taller is true.  Mine is ten foot ceiling.  It's just enough.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Good idea on the reinforcement and height. Where I'm putting the lift is 11'6" high minus the 4" slab with the drain so it'll be 11'2" ish. That should be plenty high for deer and the occasional bear. My rafters are 2x6 and I'm mounting the lift pretty close to the rear beam but now that it's been mentioned I think I'll take some 2x6s and cut 45s on the ends and brace the rafters I hang the lift on back to the beam.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Found this! Just need a faucet for it.

Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#19]
So after some thinking about how to be sure that the truss I attach the lift to could handle the weight of a bigger bear I decided to attach 5 more 2x6s to the existing truss, these trusses only span 8' between the 4x6 cross beams that they are resting on. I can't imagine there being anything on the North American continent outside of zoos that I couldn't hang off of this to skin.

Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:45:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't know where you are, but are Bears a concern?

I am in Suffolk, and see Bears all the time on the farm.

We make sure to keep all the deer remains far from camp. And really try to clean up after skinning and cutting deer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't know where you are, but are Bears a concern?

I am in Suffolk, and see Bears all the time on the farm.

We make sure to keep all the deer remains far from camp. And really try to clean up after skinning and cutting deer.  
View Quote
Yes, I am in Lunenburg county. I good ways west of you and we had the most bear tagged east of the blue ridge for the last couple years. A lot of bear here. I will field dress the deer in woods where I kill it then bring it to the skinning shed, after I get all the meat off and processed I'll take the skeleton and hide way off on the back of the farm. Nothing will be left anywhere near the skinning shed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, I am in Lunenburg county. I good ways west of you and we had the most bear tagged east of the blue ridge for the last couple years. A lot of bear here. I will field dress the deer in woods where I kill it then bring it to the skinning shed, after I get all the meat off and processed I'll take the skeleton and hide way off on the back of the farm. Nothing will be left anywhere near the skinning shed.
View Quote
if you get one this year can i buy the skull off of you??
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

if you get one this year can i buy the skull off of you??
View Quote
I've never killed one (have only been hunting for a couple years) so if I get one this year it'll be my first and I'll probably keep it but I know some guys that kill quite a few every year and I'll see what I can do to get one for ya.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've never killed one (have only been hunting for a couple years) so if I get one this year it'll be my first and I'll probably keep it but I know some guys that kill quite a few every year and I'll see what I can do to get one for ya.
View Quote
Excellent. I am going to try for one myself too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Here is the one I use. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
That beats the hell out of working on the tailgate with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:14:43 PM EDT
[#27]
It gets better, it is only 100 yards from the house, has an ice machine, and a rail system to put animals in the cooler.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It gets better, it is only 100 yards from the house, has an ice machine, and a rail system to put animals in the cooler.
View Quote
Now you're just trying to make me feel jealous... and it's working.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top