Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2017 6:16:19 PM EDT
I ordered my clover and brassica seeds this week, as well as the Trophy Rock for the 3 mineral sites I have.  This years Chestnuts are starting to sprout in the basement fridge, and I've got some evergreen seedlings ordered for spring planting to thicken up a few areas that are useless Autumn Olive right now.  

I'm planning on expanding my existing clover plot, and starting the brassica plot in an area the deer already hang out in.  

Just curious what everyone else likes to do on their land.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like your doing well, got all the bases covered for your food plots. We dont have much luck here with  Brassica here in the Northeast, clovers do well, Ladino clover has done the best for me especially on dry years. I have had good results with oats in the past. Concider this though: one of my properties is a golf driving range with 11.5 acres. It is surrounded on all sides by town or state park, woods with hiking trails mostly but footbal and baseball fields with a thick hedrow and a brook between my property and the towns. For years I planted everything in the back of that field with good results, the deer would eat everything to the nubs. There would be 20-30 deer in the field every night. The good bucks would 10 years or so would always hang back in the woods until well into dark. We would get plenty of medium and small bucks in arrow range in daylight but never the big bucks.I tried everything, scent drags, moving stands into the woods right to the edge of my property to get into their staging areas and still, just couldn't kill the dominant bucks that showed up on camera.Last year I started pushing dirt, I made a 50'x80 "bowl, one side 15' high and all the woods sides 4 ' or so with just a couple opening to let the water run out. Last fall we arrowed 3 nice bucks, the all had the confidence to come right in before dark and stage below the stand. You mentioned clearing the Olives and I suggest you use them to your advantage and only clear the one you have to. They will work well to make the bucks feel secure. I dont know if your a gun hunter or bow but this is what worked for me. (sorry its a long read)

Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a nice buck!  I bow/gun/ML hunt, which here in MI means I'm deer hunting 1 October-1 January every year.  

I don't think I could get rid of all the Autumn Olive if I wanted to.  They are big, and shapped like umbrellas, shading out all the browse from 5' down.  I'll replace them over time with White Pine so they still have cover.  

If you look at my post in trail cam pics, the shot of the 7 bucks in in an area like you made, less the water.  They really love it in there, but the wind swirls and makes it hard to hunt.  The soil on my land is far too sandy for easy pond building without bentonite or a synthetic liner.

What I have done for water is install a few of these 140 gallon rubberized plastic stock tanks.  The deer and turkeys use them within a couple months and they are deep enough to keep the raccoons out.  I place these near my mineral sites and food plots.  I'm going to install one in the 4 acre hinge cut bedding area this summer as well.  If I can get in there.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Where's you buy your seed from?
Way to early for us to plant here, but I want to start my brassicas earlier this year than last - they never really came in at all. 
I might have to reseed my clover too - not sure on that yet.
GOing to plant about 75 conifers - mixture of white spruce, Norway spruce, and probably white pine. Planting adjacent to some aspen clearcuts to add to the bedding cover/ windbreaks. 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about forty acres split between five locations that I will be planting lablab on.  I have been wanting to get it planted since mid-February but time has not permitted it.  It would have been nice to have in the ground as we got 2" of rain yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I started doing a little clearing 2 weeks ago and will really start this weekend. I'd like to get some summer plots and a dove field ready to go pretty soon. One of the things I want to try this year is sunn hemp. The stuff I've read has been split 50/50 as to how well the deer eat it, but it also sounds like a good choice for protecting stuff like soybeans until it gets some size. It's also supposed to be really good for the soil.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#6]
This year I'm getting my seed from Hancock Seed Company, I got their clover blend and brassicas mix.  My plots are all by hand, no till.  I burn the weeds down, rough up the ground, seed, and drive over the seed bed.  Once things get sprouting I'll hit it with triple 12 with turf lime, maybe some ag lime as well.  Works fine.  Eventually I'll have a 40 hp tractor and run the cultipacker/sprayer/seeder etc on the 3 point hitch and remotes/PTO.  

I think this far north, wind breaks are important, so I'll be planting pines for many years.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I got started yesterday putting out some granulated fertilizer, today more of the same but I had a ranch hand spray some pre-emergent that I disked in, hopefully I can get to planting tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The last one is always be prepared in more ways than one.  I have shot more coyotes out of a tractor than any other time.  In the plastic bag is T.P. you never know when it will hit you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Planted 9 pear trees and refreshed 8 mineral stations.  We mix equal parts trace mineral salt, dicalcium phosphate (dical), and calcium carbonate (sometimes food-grade lime).  It's a much more cost effective solution than trophy rock or pre-mixed minerals.

We also hinge cut 2 areas to promote bedding and hinge cut along some food plots to restrict entrance/exit points.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Planted 9 pear trees and refreshed 8 mineral stations.  We mix equal parts trace mineral salt, dicalcium phosphate (dical), and calcium carbonate (sometimes food-grade lime).  It's a much more cost effective solution than trophy rock or pre-mixed minerals.

We also hinge cut 2 areas to promote bedding and hinge cut along some food plots to restrict entrance/exit points.
View Quote

Where do you get the dical phosphate? I've looked online and it ends up being over $100/bag when you get it shipped.

I did buy some sunflower seeds last night. I know it's too early to plant them, but they were already down to two bags and it was only $36/bag. Also picked up some protein pellets and some B&J's.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where do you get the dical phosphate? I've looked online and it ends up being over $100/bag when you get it shipped.

I did buy some sunflower seeds last night. I know it's too early to plant them, but they were already down to two bags and it was only $36/bag. Also picked up some protein pellets and some B&J's.
View Quote
I've bought dical at a few different feed & seed stores.  Southern States, sometimes co-op, etc.  I've never ordered any of that stuff.  I imagine shipping would be expensive.  If you go in an ask for dicalcium phosphate, they should know what you're talking about.  Some feed & seed stores mix their own deer mineral, but often times they have a lot of attractant and cost more.  I'm not interested in that this time of year.  Only the stuff that will directly benefit them.  The deer will find it especially after you have an established mineral site.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've bought dical at a few different feed & seed stores.  Southern States, sometimes co-op, etc.  I've never ordered any of that stuff.  I imagine shipping would be expensive.  If you go in an ask for dicalcium phosphate, they should know what you're talking about.  Some feed & seed stores mix their own deer mineral, but often times they have a lot of attractant and cost more.  I'm not interested in that this time of year.  Only the stuff that will directly benefit them.  The deer will find it especially after you have an established mineral site.
View Quote
I'll check around. I bought a bag of Pennington Rackmaster minerals to get a couple licks started and they are using them. I just mixed it with Sugar Beet Crush to get them started. If I can find all of the stuff to make my own, that's what I'll freshen them up with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I seeded clover almost two weeks ago in an area of my food plot the turkeys just shredded.  I placed out some mineral mix and checked the poplar trees I cut in February-the deer ate all the buds and branches as expected for winter browse.  

I kicked out 30 deer out of a briar/Black Cherry sapling thicket when I was heading back to cut firewood-not good, half of those deer are probably pregnant, possibly with twin fawns, and the close ag land will all be in corn.  Lots of deer, lots of food.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Last year I put in a small 3/4 acres Wintergreens plot.  The deer loved it.  I went back to check the plot a week ago, and there isn't a single turnip left.  The deer had excavated every single turnip.....

I won't put in a new crop until July.  I have been worried about weeds, so I frost seeded the food plot with clover.  I'll turn it in later, and it will act as green manure.  The nitrogen won't hurt.  And if it still comes up, hey, its clover....

My biggest issue is exposure to the road some 250 yards from the food plot.  I've been letting some of the field closest to the road just go wild, and poplar trees are starting to fill in nicely.  However, part of it won't been screened from the road for years yet.  I wanted to help it along.  I've read that many varieties of willow will start readily from cuttings.  So, I cut about 80 willow cuttings, of various assorted 'shrub' willows from various low lying areas.  Opted for the younger, fresher  shoots where possible, ideally thumb thick or better.  Trimmed most to a single whip, and angle cut the bases.  Soaked the whips in a foot of water for a week, and you can already see new root stubs forming.  As for planting, its a fairly wet location (which is why this will likely work for me).  Just drive a stake into the wet clay soils about a foot or so.  Remove stake, then stick the willow whip in the hole and firmly bed.  Close the hole up with  heel and move on to the next location.

I don't expect amazing results....   But the cost was low (just labor), willows grow fast, and Ive got little to loose.

Fro
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Last year I put in a small 3/4 acres Wintergreens plot.  The deer loved it.  I went back to check the plot a week ago, and there isn't a single turnip left.  The deer had excavated every single turnip.....

I won't put in a new crop until July.  I have been worried about weeds, so I frost seeded the food plot with clover.  I'll turn it in later, and it will act as green manure.  The nitrogen won't hurt.  And if it still comes up, hey, its clover....

My biggest issue is exposure to the road some 250 yards from the food plot.  I've been letting some of the field closest to the road just go wild, and poplar trees are starting to fill in nicely.  However, part of it won't been screened from the road for years yet.  I wanted to help it along.  I've read that many varieties of willow will start readily from cuttings.  So, I cut about 80 willow cuttings, of various assorted 'shrub' willows from various low lying areas.  Opted for the younger, fresher  shoots where possible, ideally thumb thick or better.  Trimmed most to a single whip, and angle cut the bases.  Soaked the whips in a foot of water for a week, and you can already see new root stubs forming.  As for planting, its a fairly wet location (which is why this will likely work for me).  Just drive a stake into the wet clay soils about a foot or so.  Remove stake, then stick the willow whip in the hole and firmly bed.  Close the hole up with  heel and move on to the next location.

I don't expect amazing results....   But the cost was low (just labor), willows grow fast, and Ive got little to loose.

Fro
View Quote
Try Egyptian wheat until the natural screen is established.  I've used it for screening a few times with amazing results.  10' tall the 1st year I did it.  Bonus is the seed heads are great for game birds and song birds.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My clover is doing well, I sprayed for grass and broadleaf weeds the past week in the clover.  I'll mow it soon and hit it with some 12-12-12 and lime.  I've got a few bare spots thanks to the turkeys taking dust baths.  

Bucks are showing antlers.  

I've gotten the turkey nest predators under control, but until I live on the property, coyotes will continue to be an issue.  

I mulched/fertilized my Chinese Chestnuts and Dolgo Crabapple trees.  Time for some rain.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fro
View Quote
I planted Norway Spruce to block any view from a public road.  Out of sight, out of mind.  I planted them close enough that in a few years it will be a wall of green.  We have a lot of rocks on our ag land and I place the large boulders in such a way that makes trespassing with any type of vehicle impossible, as well as keeping someone from parking on the road and walking in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine aren't as pretty as the ones above, but they're coming along. We just got the place in late January and I haven't gotten a sprayer yet. It's in the plans, but I've got a few things to get first. This pic is of a small plot where I planted soybeans, iron and clay peas, Sunn Hemp, buckwheat and leftover sunflowers and millet. There's another one nearby that's a lot bigger with the same stuff planted. I've got two more spots with soybeans, iron and clay peas, and buckwheat, one spot with sunflowers and millet, and one more in just sunflowers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

The Beech trees are just loaded with nuts this year. Should help the turkeys get through winter. Looks like a promising crop on the Oaks as well.
Attachment Attached File

My brassica plot is doing pretty well with the cooler weather and rain.  Not bad with just hand tools and using my truck as a cultipacker.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Brassicas can grow on concrete it seems.  I had purple top turnips the size of volley balls!  sadly, the deer wouldn't touch em.  Really stunk in the spring when they were rotting.  Guess my deer are picky
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brassicas can grow on concrete it seems.  I had purple top turnips the size of volley balls!  sadly, the deer wouldn't touch em.  Really stunk in the spring when they were rotting.  Guess my deer are picky
View Quote
I've heard of that.  If they aren't used to soybeans, they won't touch those at first, either.  I'll dig some of this plot up a bit late this fall.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Brassicas are doing well, I guess the triple 19 fertilizer and lots of rain did the trick.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking Good!  Planning on top dressing it with nitrogen this fall?  Really helps keep the green late into winter.... at least it did on my plot.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Brushogged my terribly neglected kill plot 2 weeks ago and sprayed Gly last weekend.  Had some clover, but not enough to worry about saving as the forage oats and various other weeds were chest high and promoted too much bedding activity.

Planning on rototilling and planting this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Still debating whether or not to plant forage soys and winter peas or not.  May sprinkle in some more forage oats to help with grazing pressure.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Brushogged my terribly neglected kill plot 2 weeks ago and sprayed Gly last weekend.  Had some clover, but not enough to worry about saving as the forage oats and various other weeds were chest high and promoted too much bedding activity.

Planning on rototilling and planting this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Still debating whether or not to plant forage soys and winter peas or not.  May sprinkle in some more forage oats to help with grazing pressure.
View Quote
I'll hit all the plots with some triple 12 and lime.  I hit a small plot yesterday with Roundup.  It was more grown up a bit, which will be nice as all those weeds burned down will be good organic matter.  I'll mow it and maybe hit it again before I seed mid to late August, rain depending.  Heavier soil and more shade in this plot.  

One thing the cams are showing is how hard the deer are little water/mineral sites.  If we don't get rain, I'll have to dump some water in my fake ponds like the one shown earlier in this thread.  

Looks like the NRC won't go with APR's for MI again statewide.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I went to do some work on the farm I hunt yesterday, mainly hanging stands and trimming shooting lanes.  I checked on one of the spots we hinge cut over the winter, and it has produced a bedding area as we'd hoped.  The trees stayed alive and created a great canopy to provide shade.  This is 100 yards from a food plot we've had good success on.  

Our bean plot is looking great.  In two weeks, we'll plant our turnips, radishes, oats, wheat, and rye.

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Looks like my Winter Rye from last fall decided it is summer Rye
This was supposed to be Clover, Chicory and Dwarf Essex Rape. Took it down and disced it in May. Plenty of deer in it.

Most popular thing on my place is buckwheat, they only let it mature the first year in '12. Since then it rarely get above 6"
Same plot as above; All that green in the background is Raspberry, grows like wildfire, losing some of my roads to it. Gly has no effect on it either.

Can't really tell points on this guy.

Keep chowing darlin!

Different plot, PTT, DER, Buckwheat and Crimson Clover with heldover rye
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#27]
18 stands are ready to go for the season opener in a few weeks.  Our wheat, rye, turnip, clover, and radish plots were put in the ground this weekend, and our beans are looking great.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Looking good Postban.  You really started with a blank canvas with that property.  If only MI would go statewide on APR's/one buck a year those of us that really manage our land here would have big 10's running around to choose from.  Public land would have nice 8's.

Do yourself a favor and have the kids pull those Common Mullein out, and if you want to kill the wild berries, Crossbow, or the generic Crossroads, with a surfactant, will take them out.  I leave them alone for the turkeys, though.  

Looks like you have a good supply of dead pine wood kindling.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd probably have to call in 81mm Mortars on the Woodchucks on beans like that here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]
I hate to admit it but my food plots failed for lack of rain.  The lablab sprouted and then burned up.  I had high hopes.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hate to admit it but my food plots failed for lack of rain.  The lablab sprouted and then burned up.  I had high hopes.
View Quote
You're not the only one.  1st planting got destroyed by the birds and turkeys since it hadn't rained for more than a week.

Replanted and am watering with a sprinkler.  Pretty pathetic how small the range of a lawn sprinkler when it's attached to 350' of hose
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Clover looks like dried noodles, but we got good rain today.  I'll fertilize soon and it will come back with the cooler fall weather.  I've got a plot somewhat close to my well I'm considering running an irrigation line to down the road.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I hunt some low deer traffic family land with a ton of woods and rocky soil, so food plots are tough.  This year I put in two 20ft circles, one near each stand, with Whitetail Institute Imperial BowStand Food Plot Seed (Fall Planting). It has started to come up, and evidently it's making some of them curious.

Range to this year's target, 20 yards

Hopefully I have a good chance at him, last year he was behind some scrub brush on opening day of archery season and I couldn't get a clean shot - he didn't come back during daylight hours for the rest of the year.  I have re-positioned the stand & done a bit more clearing of brush, 4 weeks to go!

(pics taken this Monday morning, datestamp is wrong)
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166952/2017Buck1-282643.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166952/2017Buck2-282644.jpg
View Quote
That's a nice buck, and looks like good land for deer, I see lots of deer level browse and cover.  I'd just keep pushing out the plots a bit as you have time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#36]
The "shoot anything that moves" describes much of Michigan deer hunting.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]
These were pulled 2 weeks ago from camp...WV.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top