Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
I have really only hunted small game.  Purchased a cabin with a wood lot in N. WI this winter due to the fact that I flushed several grouse on the property and it's in a good grouse hunting area and by a lake I like to fish in.  The Northern tier of Wisconsin counties are "buck only" because the deer density is supposed to be pretty low - but you can bait them in - 2 gallons of bait a day from what I understand.  

Property was fenced all the way around the perimeter with a cheap 4ft wire mesh fence, and then later someone came back and added another 3 or 4 ft of wire on top of that with wood lathes.  Some places the fences have gotten knocked down part way by deadfalls.  Now I like the idea that the property is fenced for a number of reasons -  hopefully wont have to worry about my bird dog and wolves on the property, keeps people out, hopefully keeps down the skunk and porky population, etc.  

But I wonder if I remove the top row of fencing down to 4ft in a few areas near the logging trails, and plant the trails with alfalfa, if I wouldn't be able to draw some deer onto the property?  If a 4ft fence kept out most of the wolves and bear, but the deer could easily jump it maybe it would make a bit of a deer sanctuary and thus a good hunting property?  Or do you think I'd have to completely remove the fence in strategic areas in order to get deer moving onto the property?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#1]
deer can jump, but prefer to go around
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Fix the fence, find the game trail, put in a 'T' post gate, or 8- 12' livestock gate leave open as you like. 

That way you can provide the deer an access point in and keep your dogs in.

My garden is on my back property line, on top of 44" livestock panels I added 4' emergency fencing, that's a total of 7'8".

I walked out during the summer and had two does browsing the lettuce and spinach.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a black bear jump a 4' fence like it wasn't even there. I'd imagine a wolf could do the same. It wouldn't phase a deer at all. They may travel along it, but will jump it with no problem if they decide to.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The fence can actually work in your favor....   leave 95% of it up.   Then find some places you'd like to encourage deer movement and cut an opening....  Deer will use the opening....

Unless you have a couple hundred acres, deer are already moving through that fence.  It's not keeping them out, its merely encouraging them to take easier routes.  

If you want a sanctuary, fences won't achieve it.  Take a decent 5-8 acre part of your land, preferably something thick with a high stem count, and flag tape it off.  Declare that the sanctuary.  And NEVER go into it.  The reduction in human activity is what will turn it into a sanctuary.  If it isn't thick with cover, consider hinge cutting some trees to increase ground level 'brushiness', let in light, and encourage more growth.  Nice thick bedding areas, with numerous decent access trails in and out, really work to hold deer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Your average deer will treat a 4ft fence like it's not even there if there's good eating (or screwing) on the other side. I've seen deer in both urban and rural settings jump fences like hopscotch. Back and forth. I'll eat a little over here, jump over, eat a little over there, hey, Birtha seems to have found some clover, I'll go jump over there.

Plant stuff they want to eat and build yourself a nice, comfy watch tower 

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
they will jump it to get to food
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can live with a 4' fence I would say deer have no problem with jumping them.  I have seen them clear an 8' fence, but they can not always clear it and sometimes they break legs, jaws, and necks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys. Think I may look for game trails and lower the fence in a couple areas to 4ft. Have a bunch of left over alfalfa/clover mix from another project. I might try to get that going on the trails. Dont know if there's enough sun to grow it on narrow trails, but I guess I might as well use it up either way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My property is fenced almost l the way around with 3' field fence and I've not seen a deer in the fenced part yet. Outside the fencing I see a few, but none jump the fence.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:00:06 PM EDT
[#10]
4ft fence is nothing to a deer.  Occasionally one will misjudge though and get hung up - most likely to happen if any part of the fence is sagging or loose.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Deer can get in there easy.  if the deer are in there in any numbers the predators will be in there too.  Just something to think about.  If your primary use for it will be grouse hunting consider clear cutting some areas for new Aspen growth.  The deer will like that too.  

One other thing to consider is that even though the deer densities are low up that way they will wipe out 1 acre plots of prime food in no time.  Hinge cutting will probably benefit you more than food plots.  If done correctly they will still bud out for 2 years creating preferred natural browse that will be above snow level.  Also creates cover, lets sunlight in to promote new growth, and generally only costs you time.

my 2 cents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top