Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 11:48:26 AM EDT
PA legalized semi-auto rifles for deer. We'll see how badly PAGC messes it up. I would like to take the AR out.  So..
1. Is 300 blk less blasty than 5.56? Is it better for deer at typical ranges.  Usually the loudest thing on the line is 5.56, unless someone is shooting a 7mm mag with a brake. The wife is really blast sensitive.  
2. Is 5.56 enough from a 16" barrel?  Yeah, lots of you guys do it.  What load?  Ranges would usually be short, as I hunt with archery gear mostly.
3. Seems like a Recce setup would be about perfect. Suggestions if I build an upper?
4. ?.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:09:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Use the Barnes all copper bullets. Barnes Vor-tx or Hog Hammer with the vor tx bullet. Great perfomers.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
They passed the law and governor signed it.  But the game commission still needs to approve it for hunting.
Haven't seen anywhere yet where they "legalized semis for deer", has anyone heard different?

It would be nice if they do, but I don't have my hopes up for anything more than coyote/small game.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
May get more answers and info here in the Deer Hunting Sub-Forum. This thread may even get moved there...

Hunting Sub-Forum
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've killed deer with my 16" AR using handloaded 55gr TSX bullets and 62gr federal fusion, got great performance from both. I cant comment on the .300BO as I dont have one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#5]
.300 Blk is less blasty than 5.56 and it I think it has a deeper less offensive tone to the blast more of a boom than a crack.  When fired through a 20 inch barrel the .300 Blk was actually quite pleasant and gave the same kind of ear to ear grin pleasure to shoot as shooting dads shotgun does.

If I were in your place I would buy or build a 16 or better yet and 18.5 inch upper and put a Kaw Valley linear compensator on it to throw all the blast forward.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
300 in a 9 inch barrel with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Build an AR of a configuration which fits her and put a can on it.

Blast problem solved.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Concur that for 5.56 use Barnes TSX bullets.  I prefer the 62 grain if you can find it.  I handload, so no problem here. 16" is fine.  Longer barrel will not improve terminal performance enough to matter on deer-sized game.

But, even Barnes bullets are no excuse for exceeding distance limits.  You should limit distance to no more than 150 yards, because retained energy drops too low after that.

I hunt with my Recce.  It is built around Lilja's true Recce profile Navy M4 Recon barrel as spec for Crane on original Recce rifles.  Might be a bit overkill for hunting.

Geissele SSA-E trigger.  Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40mm Firedot TMR scope.  Offset Deltapoint Pro for up close.  Daniel Defense free float rail.

This rifle is a precision build for out to 600 yards.  I incidentally hunt deer with it too.  Its capabilities at distance does not, however, make a 5.56 suitable at deer for more than 150 yards for sure ethical kills, maybe 200, but that's a stretch.

But, honestly, at 150 yards and in, any decent 16" barrel, a somewhat lighter trigger, any freefloat, and a 1-4x scope will do you fine.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Other states have minimum caliber regulations. I would suggest waiting and see the PGC comes up with any. I, too, am wondering if my 5.56 is enough up to 100 yards. Everywhere I hunt you be lucky to take even a 50 yard shot so I'm thinking I will be fine with 5.56 and good ammo.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe your flash hider or muzzle brake makes it louder, but an AR in 5.56 is NOTHING compared to the teeth chattering 30.06's and 300 Win Mag and other long action rifles
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe your flash hider or muzzle brake makes it louder, but an AR in 5.56 is NOTHING compared to the teeth chattering 30.06's and 300 Win Mag and other long action rifles
View Quote

Just standard A2 hiders.  I can shoot '06 and .308 without any problem. My .308 LTR with 20" barrel doesn't even ring my ears without ear pro. But every 5.56 gun is obnoxious to me, though I'm used to it, and my wife jumps out of her seat.  I was wondering about the 300blk, thinking it my not crack so badly.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:13:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Just standard A2 hiders.  I can shoot '06 and .308 without any problem. My .308 LTR with 20" barrel doesn't even ring my ears without ear pro. But every 5.56 gun is obnoxious to me, though I'm used to it, and my wife jumps out of her seat.  I was wondering about the 300blk, thinking it my not crack so badly.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do agree that 5.56 has a pretty stout crack. It's grating to the ear drums for sure, like nails on a chalk board. But large cals, especially on a range under a roof, make me feel like artillery just blew up beside me and bells ringing. I've had a predator type AR in .223/5.56 with a 24" bull barrel and I have a 20" 6.8spc AR now, neither had a threaded barrel so obviously no attachment. They are definitely easier on the ears to me with the longer barrel and the blast all going forward. You might consider a style like that if you still want to have the range. AR's are so cheap now (relatively) that I'd recommend a Stag Model 7 in 6.8spc just for hunting to get a little extra umph and range, and another in .223 for fun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Other states have minimum caliber regulations. I would suggest waiting and see the PGC comes up with any. I, too, am wondering if my 5.56 is enough up to 100 yards. Everywhere I hunt you be lucky to take even a 50 yard shot so I'm thinking I will be fine with 5.56 and good ammo.
View Quote

The buck I took this year was about 125 yds. Know your ammo and what velocities it will musroom/open/frag at. Knowing the distance you have effective terminal performance is key.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot a doe with my 16" AR last weekend using 55 grain Remington soft points. Great blood trail, but the deer was still alive after an hour when I found her. She jumped up and I had to shoot her again. She died quickly after that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#15]
From what I'm hearing, many people think PGC will allow semi auto rifles for predators and small game but not deer.  The law only allows consideration of semi autos, doesn't mandate their use for all game animals.

If semis are allowed for deer, you may still have caliber restrictions.  VA us pretty open regarding hunting refs, but we can't use .223 rounds.  I went with a 6.8 upper.  6.5 would also be a good choice.

I don't hunt with a 16" barrel without wearing ear pro, at least until I can afford a can.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:30:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I have taken deer with both 16" and 20" barrels, 20" is a lot better out in the open, you will hardly notice it, 16" has has a good blast and a hell of a crack even out in the open,, use a heavy bullet and you won't give anything up to a 300BO at ranges past 100yds.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Took a deer at 80 yards out of a pistol length barrel. Entrance and exit wound using a hornady vmax. Went about 20 yards. Liver was shredded.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, the .300AAC, at least to me, sounds a lot quieter than .223. It's not as sharp.

.223 from a 16" barrel is plenty if you decide to go that route. Just use a good bullet.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Got 2 deer this one year, both with AR 18" SS WOA barrel and using 77gr Hornady BTHP. They both were within 40-50yrds. Dropped them both between the eyes. So, im pretty happy with the results of that ammo and my AR. Using SSS 3 x 9 scope.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd recommend a suppressor it's the best upgrade I ever made to my hunting rifles (any of my rifles for that matter). Not only does it help your ears it helps not bust up your hunting spot so bad.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#21]
The PAGC has given preliminary approval for semi's, rifle/shotgun, for both big and small game with a 5 round capacity mag. Approval was unanimous. Final vote will be the end of next month. Looks like we are   moving into the 21st century weapons wise. Ain't it grand!!!!!

Give the PAGC an atta-boy on their web-site. We need the same vote in March.

Pa ammo for big game is center-fire only....no caliber restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:13:08 PM EDT
[#22]
.....oh yeah......get a suppressor.....no ear plugs!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The PAGC has given preliminary approval for semi's, rifle/shotgun, for both big and small game with a 5 round capacity mag. Approval was unanimous. Final vote will be the end of next month. Looks like we are   moving into the 21st century weapons wise. Ain't it grand!!!!!

Give the PAGC an atta-boy on their web-site. We need the same vote in March.

Pa ammo for big game is center-fire only....no caliber restrictions.
View Quote

I guess was wrong. I thought we had caliber restrictions and 223 was no go. If it passes I will be using my 308 AR with 3x9 Leupold.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I guess was wrong. I thought we had caliber restrictions and 223 was no go. If it passes I will be using my 308 AR with 3x9 Leupold.
View Quote

Ruger SR762 topperd with a Leupold 2-7X32 scope....same as on my Ruger Scout......great combo for Penns Woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top