Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2016 8:18:33 PM EDT
Anyone using the Hornady 208 Vmax for southern sized WT?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone using the Hornady 208 Vmax for southern sized WT?
View Quote

They do not make a 208 VMAX.  it is an AMAX.

Bad idea.  non expanding.

you need to use a bullet that is designed to expand at subsonic velocities.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with the above post if are planning to hunt deer you need to use a supersonic cartridge. I recommend the Barnes 110gr VOR TX.

If you want hunt deer with a subsonic cartrige you need to look bigger than 300blk. Such as 458 Socom, 450 Busmaster, 50 Bewolf etc...
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I agree with the above post if are planning to hunt deer you need to use a supersonic cartridge. I recommend the Barnes 110gr VOR TX.

If you want hunt deer with a subsonic cartrige you need to look bigger than 300blk. Such as 458 Socom, 450 Busmaster, 50 Bewolf etc...
View Quote

This.

Or reload an expanding subsonic bullet, and that gets $$$ fast
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the 110g vmax. Works fine
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#5]
110 grain varmageddon here, worked like a charm
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#6]
What is it with people using varmint bullets on deer? Those are meant for damn near explosive expansion on small, very thin skinned game. You risk injuring the deer severely, but not killing it by using a bullet like that. Use a bullet meant for what you're trying to do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recommend the Barnes 110gr VOR TX.
View Quote

This is what I use on deer and hogs, out of an 8" suppressed SBR, to good effect.  Less of a hammer than say 30.06, but they are still DRT 75% of the time with heart/lung shot.  If they are already moving, they may make it 50-100yd before piling up.
You just need to know the limitations of the round and don't attempt anything beyond that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What is it with people using varmint bullets on deer? Those are meant for damn near explosive expansion on small, very thin skinned game. You risk injuring the deer severely, but not killing it by using a bullet like that. Use a bullet meant for what you're trying to do.
View Quote

At 300 blk velocities a varmit bullet behaves like a big game bullet out of a .308.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:28:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At 300 blk velocities a varmit bullet behaves like a big game bullet out of a .308.
View Quote

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I've seen tests with the VMAX that go both ways depending on the range/impact velocity. There's no good reason to use a bullet that isn't designed for .300Blk velocities.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm 6 for 6 with the Barnes 110 grn black tips biggest doe was 200 + lbs dressed
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#11]
no.  And I won't....

The 300 AAC is a decent little cartage.  BUT, it really needs to be loaded with something 110-125 supersonic to be really suitable for whitetails.  

ANYTHING subsonic simply hasn't got the power and velocity to really be truly effective on deer.  If the bullet will expand at low subsonic speeds, odds are very high that it simply doesnt have the power to really penetrate well.   It's just physics.  The 300 AAC works, but its already on the minimal side of the equation for deer.  Its basically a 7.62x39 equivalent when loaded super sonic.  As soon as you get into subsonics and heavy bullets, it hasn't got enough power to be fully reliable.  Oh, sure, you'll get the occasional clean kill, but your chances of a messed up shot and a badly wounded deer skipping off through the woods for miles is fairly high.

If you want to use the 300 AAC, load a 110 Barnes or a 125 SST or Ballistic tip and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no.  And I won't....

The 300 AAC is a decent little cartage.  BUT, it really needs to be loaded with something 110-125 supersonic to be really suitable for whitetails.  

ANYTHING subsonic simply hasn't got the power and velocity to really be truly effective on deer.  If the bullet will expand at low subsonic speeds, odds are very high that it simply doesnt have the power to really penetrate well.   It's just physics.  The 300 AAC works, but its already on the minimal side of the equation for deer.  Its basically a 7.62x39 equivalent when loaded super sonic.  As soon as you get into subsonics and heavy bullets, it hasn't got enough power to be fully reliable.  Oh, sure, you'll get the occasional clean kill, but your chances of a messed up shot and a badly wounded deer skipping off through the woods for miles is fairly high.

If you want to use the 300 AAC, load a 110 Barnes or a 125 SST or Ballistic tip and call it good.
View Quote

Agree its a decent cartridge for WT as a supersonic but go to a subsonic and expansion and penetration aren't reliable.  If the round expands penetration isn't very good its basically like a mechanical broadhead without the weight of the arrow to aid in penetration.  And any archery hunter knows you have to stay away from the shoulder.  Plus with a can supers aren't that loud.  You aren't likely to be shooting more than one at a time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Barnes 110 VOR-TX is what you seek.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Agree its a decent cartridge for WT as a supersonic but go to a subsonic and expansion and penetration aren't reliable.  If the round expands penetration isn't very good its basically like a mechanical broadhead without the weight of the arrow to aid in penetration.  And any archery hunter knows you have to stay away from the shoulder.  Plus with a can supers aren't that loud.  You aren't likely to be shooting more than one at a time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no.  And I won't....

Have you guys looked at the Maker Bullets 200 gr "REX" subsonic bullets?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top