Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2016 8:31:17 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new harness strictly for hunting use. The top two I'm considering are the Hunter Safety System ultralite flex or the hybrid flex and the Muddy magnum. Those of you that use them, are there any cons or pros I should know or consider?

I like the slim design, quick clips to hook up and some of the options of pockets that each model has. I prefer the camo pattern because I think its odd to dress in all camo to go hunting but then put a big black strapped harness over it.
One thing I do on occasion is while up in my stand, if I get too warm or cold i'll take off layers or put more on. This is difficult to do and requires unhooking from the tree strap. Would these ease the process to allow me to remove the harness easily, change clothing and hook back in?

Thank you for any advice, experience and knowledge you can share.
Stay safe out there and good luck this season.
Steve
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the harness on under your heavy coat.  Gives you temp flexibility without unhooking.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I opted, instead of paying 50-60 for some fancy vest harness, to buy a hangon stand that came with a simple black harness.  I put a climbing carrabeaner on it for easy clipping in and out.

I always put it on under my coat Incase I want to layer down. Unless it's raining then I put it over my cost to use the hood.  Honestly, unclipping to layer down isn't a big deal just be careful. The harness is nice for sketchy stands and napping
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm currently using a harness that came with one of my old stands, it's comfortable but I don't like all the excess straps and it's a pain to put on because it gets tangled up and all parts look alike.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put the harness on under your heavy coat.  Gives you temp flexibility without unhooking.
View Quote

This. I put the harness on underneath everything but my base layer. Also more comfortable to walk around in that way as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I do the same thing.

Basic freebee harness came with a stand, put it on under my overalls.

No straps hanging off me.

I exclusively use the Hunter Safety System that has the rop tied at the very top and anchored at the bottom with a prussic knot on it and clipped into my harness, so I am tied in before I leave the ground.

I like to sleep in the stands and make it almost tight sitting down, but loose enough to draw while sitting down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my HSS; so much nicer than the ones included with the stands.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
HSS
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
HSS
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#9]
HSS here as well. Easy to put on and is pretty comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a HSS reversible harness for about 5 years but switched to a Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness this season.  It's a rock climbing harness.  I saved 2 pounds from my HSS system, and I have much more freedom of movement.  In addition to being able to add or remove top layers while still hooked up, if I ever do fall, I'll be facing the tree instead of hanging from my back.  It's quite a bit cheaper, too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input, I'll be going with the HSS harness.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I used a HSS reversible harness for about 5 years but switched to a Black Diamond Alpine Bod harness this season.  It's a rock climbing harness.  I saved 2 pounds from my HSS system, and I have much more freedom of movement.  In addition to being able to add or remove top layers while still hooked up, if I ever do fall, I'll be facing the tree instead of hanging from my back.  It's quite a bit cheaper, too.

<a href="http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/Rickesis/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7059_zpsrdtdneyr.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii522/Rickesis/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7059_zpsrdtdneyr.jpg</a>
View Quote

I used to climb with that harness. hunting harness' are a full body harness for safety and the attachment is on your upper back to keep it out of your way operating weapons. but if it works for you great. I did not like hunting in it
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Based on info from a crossbow forum I've b een using a rock climbing harness with the life line/Prussic knot setup for two years now. Haven't slipped yet so can't attest to how well it would work. Check You Tube, plenty of vidios.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Wear one that's for sure. I've fallen TWICE and got horribly busted up. I hunt from stumps now
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
After reading the post above this I was reminded to point out that I used one of the tree safety ropes with most of my stands either hang on or climbers.  One of my good friends and hunting buddies is an awesome hunter but not a great stand installer in that he would focus more on location and direction compared to level and safe installation.  

I was helping him out one year due to his knee injury and climbed a tree using his screw in steps, no way to use my safety rope on the climb due ot the tree/steps, I got to the stand level at about 30'  and climbed onto the stand, just as all my weight was on the stand the stand tree strap broke and I fell... about 1'... the Lord was obviously looking out for fools that day as I was able to use my "cat like" reflexes to grab the limb just above the stand as it broke away from the tree and caught myself.  I am typically a klutz so I take no credit at all for that one.  

My buddy just about had a heart attack and all he could say was "You did good" and "I was going to catch you", he was almost beside himself thinking how close I was to major injury or worse.  I had met a fellow a few years before that was confined to a wheel chair after falling from a tree stand so that was what I was thinking about.   After taking a few very deep breaths I was able to climb down slowly, my only injury was a few scraped up areas where I slid on the tree bark.  

I should have died (or worse) that day.  I learned later that he had put the stand up several years before and never changed the strap out.  After that I never got into one of his stands without doing a personal inspection while locked into a safety strap/rope.

That said we both started using the tree safety ropes that let you lock in at ground level and climb with fall protection all the way up and into the stand.  I found them much easier to use than the safety rope around the tree.  I usually carried my short rope up with me and tied into it before unlocking from the climb rope.  We would leave them on the tree during the season and then remove, clean and inspect for the next year.  

I checked into buying climbing rope etc. to make them but couldn't buy it as cheap as the ready made one which we got in 3 packs Safety Rope

Stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a climber bottom half slip loose when descending a tree last year.  The teeth bit into the tree and stopped my fall just before my harness caught me.  I torqued one of my elbows pretty good, but otherwise was able to climb down unassisted.  

No lie it was scary when I suddenly felt the stand go from solid platform underneath my feet to freefalling nothing.  I have always wore a safety harness and that afternoon simply reinforced that as a good decision.  

I honestly believe if you spend a lot of time in treestands it's almost more a question of "when" than "if" you experience some sort of an incident.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Based on info from a crossbow forum I've b een using a rock climbing harness with the life line/Prussic knot setup for two years now. Haven't slipped yet so can't attest to how well it would work. Check You Tube, plenty of vidios.
View Quote

thats what i ended up with..   Black Diamond alpine..

the haters will hate and say you cant do that.. YOu have to use a harness designed for hunting..

But the rock climbers trust it and they probably depend on it a lot more than any deer hunter would

Brian
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

the haters will hate and say you cant do that.. YOu have to use a harness designed for hunting..

But the rock climbers trust it and they probably depend on it a lot more than any deer hunter would

Brian
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

I don't think you HAVE to use a harness designed for hunting.  I would much rather people use a rock climbing harness than no harness at all.

However, after watching some testing done by OSHA, I won't be wearing a rock climbing  harness unless I'm rock climbing.  The two systems for stopping a fall are very different.  There's a reason OSHA doesn't allow RC harnesses for fall arrest.

Assuming you keep your tether as short as humanly possible, it probably won't be a big deal either way...but if you have more than a footish of free fall in a rock climbing harness to a sudden stop(like being tied off to a tree, not a belay like most rock climbers) you will get shit whipped upside down.  It's not pretty.  It's very violent and could easily knock you unconscious.  Rock climbing harnesses are not designed, nor approved(by OSHA which doesn't really apply to hunting...but still makes sense) for the types of falls that are expected in deer hunting.  

So, if it's either wear a rock climbing harness or nothing, please wear the rock climbing harness.  Otherwise, I would seriously look into wearing a full body harness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top