Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2016 11:08:31 AM EDT

This was a junior Doe hunt.  We were done with the deer gutted and loaded in the truck by 8am opening day.  We stalked the deer she got for about 10 minutes.  It was a very cooperative deer.  She shot it and it ran to the road and died.  Made it pretty convenient to load up.    We had stalked 2 other herds before this one, but couldn't get ethical shots.  On one of them, we could have, but passed.  They were about 150yds across a deep canyon and we didn't want to have to drag the deer down and back up.  Glad we passed.

In the video, she takes a shot about 2:40.  In real time, I thought she had flinched or something because the bullet hit the dirt quite a bit in front of the deer.  Turns out she hit a pine tree branch.  Oops.  I'm guessing, due to the suppressor, she got a second chance.  At 6:10 she connects.  I heard the hit, sounded pretty solid, but the deer took off running.  It was holding it's right front leg off the ground and I thought maybe she had just hit it in the leg.  I watched it run, then slowly settle to the ground.  Saw a flop so we went after it.  In the pic, you can see just a tiny blood dribble in front of the shoulder.  The shot was a quartering shot.  Bullet went in just in front of the shoulder, destroyed the shoulder, went through the chest cavity completely destroying the lungs and heart (it was all jello in there), breaking the 2nd to last rib on the left and stopped in the skin on the other side.  That deer was DEAD as soon as the bullet hit, she just didn't know it.  

Rifle is a 6.5 Grendel with a form 1 suppressor.  Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 optic.  The illuminated reticle was really nice for the light conditions.  Shooting Hornady 120gr GMX lead free.  Area is a condor range, and Arizona Game and Fish provides no-lead bullets for free as part of the hunt.  Very very satisfied with the performance of the rifle and bullet.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats, that is amazing
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Great job dad.Nice shooting young lady.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty young lady and a NICE deer!! Memories are made of this.........

My good friend Jack ,whom I miss dearly,often said "A fat doe close to the road ain't all bad"      
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats to the both of you! Beautiful doe, beautiful daughter and beautiful memories being made.
Excellent! I loved the "YES!" and high five at the end.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool beans
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice deer. great job!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats to the both of you! Beautiful doe, beautiful daughter and beautiful memories being made.
View Quote

I was SO excited and had to keep it in until I knew the deer was down and dead.  It's just an amazing thing to share with your kids.  Every dad should do it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#10]

I love hunting with my daughter. I have never enjoyed hunting so much, as I do now that she hunts with me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was SO excited and had to keep it in until I knew the deer was down and dead.  It's just an amazing thing to share with your kids.  Every dad should do it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats to both of you! I did something similar with my oldest daughter the past two years, she now has three under her belt.  Two does and one little buck.  She got the buck with my precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel.  We used hornady 123 SST factory loads, small hole in and out but demolished the heart.  Little guy still jumped and ran 50-60 yards down hill until he did a headder into a tree.  We really like that caliber, my girls can shoot it without any issues, my trusty 30-06 not so much.  I really need to get one of those new howa mini rifles in 6.5 Grendel to compliment the arsenal.

Again, great job with your daughter and her deer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#12]

That. Is. Awesome!  

Great job, dad.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 9:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]
YES HANNA!!

Awesome job Dad....
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She is turning out to be quite the little hunter.  Good for her and good on you for teaching her.  

That's an awfully courteous whitetail.  I wish mine would die like that.

What camera and mounting setup were you using?
View Quote

It was a gopro hero4 silver on a head strap mount.  Very comfortable to wear. I traded a guy my Contour Roam for his gopro.  He was looking for one for a while (discontinued) as they're better for motorcycles, I guess, because you can rotate the lense itself to any angle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It showed that you were both excited! ...and rightfully so!
I hope to be able to experience the same thing with my son and daughters.
You should let her read through the responses in this thread, the genuine excitement that everyone shows when they see a new Hunter is always impressive.
Thanks again for the video! I was, quite honestly, grinning from ear to ear watching you two.
Well done dad!
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome! Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 7:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats to both of you

Great video as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Outstanding!   Hoping my daughters will want to go out with me when they get a bit older.  Right now our oldest loves to go squirrel hunting with me, but haven't talked her into deer hunting just yet.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#21]
That's what you call "Doing it right,DAD!!!"  Congrats to both of you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I miss the Kaibab plateau.  Good parenting!
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#24]
BIG thumbs up!!
video was awesome.. congrats to daughter!
the woods, hunting environment was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 1:57:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Awesome job dad, great memories and bonding time. This will definitely lead to her being a better person in future. Again great job. I will be inline soon to take mine

btw what camera are you using ? is it with gimbal or image stabilizer ?
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Awesome job dad, great memories and bonding time. This will definitely lead to her being a better person in future. Again great job. I will be inline soon to take mine

btw what camera are you using ? is it with gimbal or image stabilizer ?
View Quote

Go pro on a head strap.  Then just YouTube image stabilization.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 9:05:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Good deal!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Congrats again. The Kaibab is my all time favorite place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:52:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Congrats! Should have gone hunting in AZ when I lived there...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome job!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top