Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 12:08:05 PM EDT
I have found that many on this forum seem confused about what deer see, and I would like to help clarify (pun intended). Deer are colorblind. This does not necessarily mean they see in black and white (monochromacy). There are several different color-blindness, and even color-weak seeing individuals (human) and species. The type of color blindness deer (family Cervidae) experience is both red and green. Deer are red-green color blind. Deer see blue quite well by the way. If you go to the website: color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/ you can view the different types of color-blindness. To help you understand what deer see I have made a powerpoint on the subject. I'll post the slides as images below. Good hunting!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Clearly not ATACS. The above image is jeans and a plaid button up long sleeve.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this sales / advertising?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe they're also very sensitive to UV compared to humans, and if your clothing fluoresces under UV light, it's much more visible to deer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That is also correct! Good point. As for the general color spectrum, deer can not see green or red, but they can visually see into the UV spectrum (not all of it). A non-UV enhancing detergent helps lower the UV reflecting from clothing while hunting.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
No, my images were from my facebook. Sorry about that. I'll make the post open to the public, and you can view it if you want that way. Just look me up: Tylor Miranda
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have wondered about color perception for most of my life.  How exactly have we determined what deer can see?

It occurred to me as a child, while returning from visiting family in North Louisiana sitting in the back of my dad's 80's Celica, that if I could somehow see the image that someone else's mind created, would red be red?  It would be red for that person, because it's always been red for them, but for you, would it be?

Now, this question may never be answered, by the same token, how do we know dogs see in black and white, and deer can't see blaze orange?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is also correct! Good point. As for the general color spectrum, deer can not see green or red, but they can visually see into the UV spectrum (not all of it). A non-UV enhancing detergent helps lower the UV reflecting from clothing while hunting.
View Quote

Yep, we use Atsko sport wash and UV killer.
If you buy off-brand camo, hold it under a UV light before you head into the woods, you may light up like a Christmas tree.

I've spent a ton of time in the woods, sometimes surrounded by does, and I can tell the difference in how deer react between cheap un-treated camo and name brands that don't use UV-reflecting dyes and have been treated with UV killer.  If you're sitting still, you're not silhouetted and you're downwind, and the deer zeroes in on you from 100yd when it first steps out of the bush, you might just be glowing...

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Biologically analyzing dissected eyeballs of deer shows us, at a microscopic level, the rods and cones that transmit light data to the deers' brains. That is how we determine what deer can see.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice advertising. ( ;
Great point though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
deer are suicidal bastards that only ever see my expensive sport cars i mod the shit out of. they never see my beater truck or boring daily drivers
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, this does no good for me, cause I'm already colorblind!  Extreme deutan, that's me!  I have a really hard time telling the differences between ANY of this pictures.  Maybe I'm part deer?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the dear are part YOU! DUN DUN DUUUUUN!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the warm welcome.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=23&t=667783
https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=23&t=676571

It's not so much the links, but the numerous comments that are inaccurate. I'm not trying to generalize that many, most, or especially everyone doesn't know the science behind what deer see, only that there are enough that do not. Also, according to the few people who have taken my poll, 50% do not know, and 18.6% think they know, but are wrong. Thus, it can be determined that 68.6% of viewers of my post do not know how deer see. Note, a vast majority of those who read the post did not take the poll at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I hit a deer at 55 miles per hour with the horn blowing.  They are some real elusive creatures......................

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#16]
So what does blaze orange look like to a deer?

My brother is red-green colorblind.  I guess I should ask him?

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:08:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So what does blaze orange look like to a deer?

My brother is red-green colorblind.  I guess I should ask him?

View Quote

Depends on the dye and detergent used....

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like this:

That's why I wear it only when moving. When I've settled into a good hunting spot, I take off the orange, and hide it from site.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Woof.

I wish I didn't feel naked without Orange on during the season!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Woof.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Woof.

As long as you keep quiet, you are OK.  I know people that call themselves hunters that will take a "sound shot".    They also told me of the "Hail Mary" shot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never seen deer react negatively to blaze orange.  And most of the blaze orange "what deer see" pics are yellow but not that bright/glowing like posted above.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:44:38 PM EDT
[#22]

I've wondered before whether or not a guns finish really matters - i.e., blued, camo, or stainless, particularly the latter.

If you're in a stand and have to move an exposed barrel that they could see, to line up a shot, is stainless more likely to draw their attention?  Shiny vs matte may be more important than color.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]
i have had deer walk right by me while I am wearing blaze orange 10x

once i whistle they turn and look for me and they eventually see my motionless form sitting on a log

deer don't see you, like people see you

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Biologically analyzing dissected eyeballs of deer shows us, at a microscopic level, the rods and cones that transmit light data to the deers' brains. That is how we determine what deer can see.
View Quote

Are you a scientist?

I did always wonder how we knew what animals see.

Good posts btw.

Please don't be a shill.

Txl
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]
how does a deer see this?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#26]
In my experience, sitting still, not making a sound, and not being upwind are the three most important factors.

I've had herds (like 10-12 deer) walk within 10 feet upwind of me turkey hunting and never know I was there.

I've had singles, doubles, and triples know I was there (saw me) while turkey hunting, but as long as I didn't move all they did was peer around trying to figure out what I was.  From 15-20 upwind feet away.

I've had deer 100 downwind yards away snort vociferously and alert every goddam turkey on the farm.  Snorting, blowing, for 10 minutes.  Those bastards.

Control your scent through clothing or position, be still, and be quiet, and they'll never know (or they won't care) you're there.  No matter what you're wearing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top