Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2016 10:17:45 AM EDT
I was able to get back into hunting last year after a some 25 year layoff - fell into a place to hunt - beautiful place and the guys are fun to hunt with.

With the season going out yesterday - it ended on a cliffhanger - I was watching a doe as the legal shooting hours ended - no horns - but a great way to end a season.

This past year I got back into the muzzle loader - now have an inline 209 vs the old Hawken 54 renegade that I still have.

This year the Items that I am going to work on are.....

get a crossbow - so I can hunt the rut - it is late archery/muzzle loader here.

fine tune the muzzle loader - get set up to run blackhorn and get the gun better dialed in.

work on the rifle skills - try to shoot once a month (calm down the buck fever - yes I do love to see deer)

Work on some better hunting clothes and sent control - started already on that - have bought some mernio wool long handles and balaclava.

Red

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Does finding someone to take me and my son(s) out for the 1st time ever count?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Me, finding a place to actually hunt dear again.  The oil/gas boom in Texas pushed me out of access to land that I had for years.  I havent actually hunted deer now for sometime.  I am hoping find find a decent lease or a new place to hunt this year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Last year my wife and I built a house on my family farm putting me back in a situation where I can walk out of the house and have access to 600acres hunting is much more convenient.  This season I had one ladder stand and one brush blind on the ground.  I did not get a chance to do any pre season scouting because we were building the house.  I took 4 deer but all does.

Plans for this year:
Build 2 enclosed stands in big fields
Put up two more ladder stands on creek bottoms
I have one game Cam out now and plan to get another
Plant 2-3 game plots and put out mineral blocks pre season
Get a dehydrator
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, we're PCS'ing to Vilseck Germany in August. I'll be flying back in November. We can no longer bring our firearms to Germany.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, we're PCS'ing to Vilseck Germany in August. I'll be flying back in November. We can no longer bring our firearms to Germany.
View Quote

You may be able to rent.  Check into it.

Locally, deer stalks require a lot of walking over rough and rocky terrain.  For me it will be a lighter rifle, lighter binocs, more water, and better boots.  

Ideally I would prefer to hunt an area with larger and more plentiful deer, with better terrain.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Same as this last season - get one with a recurve. So keep working my distance shooting. (20, maybe 25yds!)

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#8]
New loads for the deer rifle-Barnes 130 TTSX, .308

2 More ladder stands

Practice with my bow from an elevated position more  

Get property gated/posted better against trespassing Fudds

Plant more Chestnuts, Crabapples, clover

and probably 50 other little things I don't seem to have time for.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Purchase a revolver of some sort and practice, practice, practice. hopefully get one with a handgun next year.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:14:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I want to bow hunt for the first time next year. First I have to get a bow lol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm going to keep training and learning my 6.8spc, and Build a 2nd lighter weight hunting rifle in 6.8spc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got a "new to me" feeder running today. I am taking it out to my 21 acres that I bought last year.

I haven't hunted the 21 acres yet but I got some good pics on a game camera this past season.  

I also hunt on a 300 acre lease that both me and my 8 year old son got 8 points on this past season. I go out there every couple of months to check feeders and it is also where I shoot when I need to test new loads.

I am also working on a protein feeder for my 21 acres that I will get out in the next few months.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I finally got my first buck ever (rifle in 6.8spc) so now I am going to work on bow hunting. I may still take my gun with me in gun season and have it hanging in the tree with me on the club, but I also plan on taking a bow hunting only trip to Kentucky. You have to walk a lot there, my club mates tell me, as unlike here in Alabama, you can only park in a few designated spots and have to walk from there, so I will probably be practicing on cardio. Also I did pretty much NO scouting this year and still got lucky, but this year, I plan on having at least 3 cameras out on the club at all times from a few weeks before bow season all the way to the end of gun season.

So summarized for me :

Practice with bow
Cardio for out of state hunt
Scout and cameras a whole lot more than I have been doing.

(bonus) Get proficient in long range shooting as I missed a buck at 300 yards and he was gracious enough to just stand there till I hit him.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I will be working on my cardio quite a bit more, and getting the horses better at packing.
View Quote

This, except it looks like we are starting from scratch on horses. Gelding was unsuited to hunting, and our mare has continuing foot problems. Looking at a pair of mares this weekend.

Practicing longer range shooting as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd really like to plan for a muley hunt to get my feet wet before I head to Alberta in 2017.

That and shoot my bow a lot more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does finding someone to take me and my son(s) out for the 1st time ever count?
View Quote

I quit looking and just went this year.  Watched a bunch of youtube videos and read a lot of articles on-line and just went and did it.  I didn't get a deer but only because I didn't see any.

For next year, my goal is have warmer clothes so I can stay out longer.  I have plenty of hiking gear and am totally comfortable hiking in winter but sitting in a stand and not moving at all is completely different.  You get COLD.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm gonna try to get drawn for a second deer next year. I have a great spot on private land that gets a ton of deer traffic as they move from the timber to the fields.
I'll probably stick with my 6.5 Swede since it hasn't failed me yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This, except it looks like we are starting from scratch on horses. Gelding was unsuited to hunting, and our mare has continuing foot problems. Looking at a pair of mares this weekend.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I will be working on my cardio quite a bit more, and getting the horses better at packing.

Ha! Farrier thinks he has our mares foot problems on the right track. She is walking a lot more confidently. Three mares to look at over Valentines weekend. Hope two of them work for us.

Making plans to hunt Wyoming and West River South Dakota this fall.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]
keep improving the land i hunt on, food plots and mineral blocks to help the deer grow
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd really like to plan for a muley hunt to get my feet wet before I head to Alberta in 2017.

That and shoot my bow a lot more.
View Quote

There are a LOT of mule deer in southeast Montana and MANY thousands of acres of public lands,,,,Custer Nat Forest.
Check it out!
oh,Powder River County and Rosebud County especially
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]
The mountains smoked me this year so i gotta get in better hiking shape,  and i need to dope out my new 6.5 creedmoor load.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Could have taken a couple of 250+yd shots but passed.   Need to practice doing some long range shots.   First year using my LR308A2 Carbine just not sure of myself.   I know the rifle can do it but not me yet.

Wolf
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I've also decided to outfit my rifles with suppressors before next season in addition to what I said above
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#25]
1. Practice shooting: off hand, weak side, from sticks in ground blind
2.  start baiting, patterning, and photographing (game cams) deer this summer
3. Work out something with landowner of adjacent property to hunt a small area there for deer and coyotes
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would like to do a multi day backpack archery hunt for a big desert mulie.  

I would also like to try hunting in some new areas, maybe Northern AZ.  My usual spots are good, but I have an urge to do some exploring.

Where do you hunt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I would also like to try hunting in some new areas, maybe Northern AZ.  My usual spots are good, but I have an urge to do some exploring.

Quoted:

Locally, deer stalks require a lot of walking over rough and rocky terrain.  For me it will be a lighter rifle, lighter binocs, more water, and better boots.  

Ideally I would prefer to hunt an area with larger and more plentiful deer, with better terrain.

Where do you hunt?

I know some good areas for some monster desert mulies
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Forgot to mention what I wanted to do.

Better cardio and become more proficient with shooting my bow and shooting my bolt gun. I want to be doped out to 1000 meters. Must slay more couse deer!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Your IM with the unit didn't come through.

I know a pretty good coues deer spot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you hunt?

I know some good areas for some monster desert mulies

Your IM with the unit didn't come through.

I know a pretty good coues deer spot.

Ah man, I didn't get a I'M either about where big couse deer are at ;-) Honestly, there are a LOT of big mules in SW AZ. People just don't know how to hunt them.

Now that I got a new bow, the next archery season I'll be hitting it hard until couse deer rifle opens. Then I'll just go shoot me a couse deer, as we know they're obviously the greatest deer ever!
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#30]
More Time..always looking for more time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've also decided to outfit my rifles with suppressors before next season in addition to what I said above
View Quote

You'll love it and you'll have a hard time hunting without one afterwards as well.  Muzzle loader season is the only time I don't run a suppressor.

Currently using:
YHM SS 5.56 Phantom  on AR platform and Rem 700 223
Form 1 can on AR 300BLK and Savage Mod 10 .308
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Next deer season...................kill more deer.

Seriously, I need to work on some permanent blinds, an ATV bridge on one property and buying some new boots.      
Take a deer with a handgun, it's something I've always wanted to do but haven't, I've got the gun and the skill I just need to go do it.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm planning on archery hunting of some sort for the first time this year.  Going to pick up a compound or crossbow.

Since I'm most likely going to be hunting from the ground this year and probably next I'm leaning more towards crossbow.

The second thing is getting in better shape...dragging deer when you're packing an extra 50lbs is no fun...especially if I start archery hunting as I will most likely be hunting public land and not being able to get a vehicle as close.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#34]
My younger son needs more range time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Actually getting a tag...
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:34:12 PM EDT
[#36]
i ordered a new rifle :) left hand Rem700 in 308
im clearing brush and will continue to feed corn to the Deers, i have to fix fences also, i hope the deer arent too bothered with that
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I need new glass for my 6.5mm Swede. I assembled the rifle on a budget and dropped a cheap Bushnell Banner on it. It works OK but doesn't gather light very well and isn't the clearest optic. Also, the image tends to "fade out" if I stare at something too long through it and I have to blink, and reacquire it. Not sure if this is a result of my Lasik surgery or something with the scope. Either way, new glass will be going on it this summer followed by more load development.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Getting a tree stand up, and waking up early enough to actually see some morning deer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I started Keto and some low impact workouts 1/1... Down 32 lbs already, 50 to go to goal weight.
Hoping to be back in shape to dust off the climbing stand come bow season...  been blind/ground hunting firearms seasons the last 12 years.
Might have to get my left shoulder checked out/fixed though.

Added solar power & propane heat to the "big blind" last fall, planning to hard-wire some cameras along some feeding paths, possibly even wifi-enabled gopro clones as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Find somewhere to hunt with a rifle in VA.

Suppressor for the .300BO Pistol and possibly pick up a Ruger American in .300BO

Could probably use some new clothes as well, but just looking forward to getting out in the fall.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Bought a Crossbow a few weeks, so get better at shooting it so I can tag out next season.
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 9:53:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Bought a Crossbow a few weeks, so get better at shooting it so I can tag out next season.
View Quote

What did you get?

I picked up a Excalibur 330 - it is a very sweet Xbow!

Red
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:26:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Barnett Recruit. Traded an H & R .243 for it with my Dad. Made him give me $50 bucks boot.

It seems like I go Deer Scaring more than I go Deer Hunting. got the Crossbow to give me a reason to start earlier and stay in the woods longer. Arkansas season is normally from Oct. 1 to Feb 28.

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I just picked up several pallet racks. I will put them up and box in the top.  I have get it done before it gets too hot.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 2:15:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Wear losing our two tree stands sometime this summer.   I know losing right.   Well my cousin has letting a friend of his hunt the property for the last ten years or so.    Well his friend has joined a lease so he is going to come and get his two stands and feeder.    My cousin and I are going to put in a new feeder and a couple of new stands.   I have my eye on a couple of three legged and four legged platform stands.    I don’t know what kid of stand he is planning on putting in.  

Wolf
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Finding a good place to hunt
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#48]

I need to finish this beast and get it up against a tree, then open up some lanes leading away from it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2016 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Add a ground Blind to my hunting area.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm going to clear a 1/4-1/3 of an acre in pure sand and turn it into a beautiful food plot with nothing more than hand tools.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top