Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was in my 20's I always packed them out over my shoulders. I would probably take a saw or ax and take half at a time now that I am much older and my back is not so good, but it has been a long time since I killed a deer, mainly an elk hunter these days. They seem like large goats to me, except for muleys, that is a different story.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was in my 20's I always packed them out over my shoulders. I would probably take a saw or ax and take half at a time now that I am much older and my back is not so good, but it has been a long time since I killed a deer, mainly an elk hunter these days. They seem like large goats to me, except for muleys, that is a different story.
View Quote

You would pack out a 200lb animal on your back without quartering it up at all?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Try to shoot it uphill from your car
View Quote

I don't know why but every deer I've ever shot has ran downhill.  I recall dragging a doe up a slope that you needed to grab trees to walk alone, let alone dragging something.  But I was in my late 20's then.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Deer SleighR for the win.

I usually tie it off at the lineman's rings on my body harness and start walking.

Works great.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my advice regarding dragging a deer.  I carry one special piece of gear in my kit for long drags - a small ziploc with two Ibuprofen and two Acetominophen.  As soon as I have recovered a deer I take a quick look around to gauge the difficulty of the drag.  If it looks long and/or uphill, I go ahead and take the Ibuprofen/Acetominophen combo (you can take both at the same time since they work in completely different ways).  By the time I have the deer dressed and have started into the drag the painkillers are starting to kick in.  Makes for a less arduous drag.  You still feel it the next day, but it feels easier at the time.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know why but every deer I've ever shot has ran downhill.  I recall dragging a doe up a slope that you needed to grab trees to walk alone, let alone dragging something.  But I was in my late 20's then.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first deer I ever shot went into a death run that ended up being a path directly in line with the nearest road.  Ended up dying a short and easy drag to the roadside, and I was able to hike back to my SUV and then drive to the spot to load the deer.  Every deer I've ever shot since then has run downhill, into ravines, thickets, and/or hellish briar patches.  I guess it's like a drug dealer, the first one is "free".
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The first deer I ever shot went into a death run that ended up being a path directly in line with the nearest road.  Ended up dying a short and easy drag to the roadside, and I was able to hike back to my SUV and then drive to the spot to load the deer.  Every deer I've ever shot since then has run downhill, into ravines, thickets, and/or hellish briar patches.  I guess it's like a drug dealer, the first one is "free".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny post !

Two deer with a bow for me this year.

First is a young of the year doe that ran 25 yds b4 piling up. J hook pattern toward the road. 100 yard drag with a lineman's rope around her neck. Pretty easy drag.
Arrow straight through the heart.

Second is a nice little 8 Pointer.  About 115". My first buck of any real size with a bow.
Ran about 40yds and the arrow went through the heart and lodged into the breast bone.
Under the stand type shot.
100yd drag to a logging road, then onto a cart for the mile walk to the truck.
Not fun, but I loved it anyway.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Funny post !

First is a young of the year doe that ran 25 yds b4 piling up. J hook pattern toward the road. 100 yard drag with a lineman's rope around her neck. Pretty easy drag.

Second is a nice little 8 Pointer.  About 115". My first buck of any real size with a bow.
Ran about 40yds and the arrow went through the heart and lodged into the breast bone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny post !

Nice shooting with a bow!  When you recover them inside of 50 you're putting your arrow where it counts.

Now I have to add a sled or a cart to my gear.  I went hunting this morning and as I was running early decided to try a spot wayyy in the back timber of a property I hunt.  I don't think many people hunt this area, because it's a long walk without vehicle access.  Sure enough not 10 minutes after first light a nice fat mature doe comes walking along.  Double lung + spine = DRT, but I had a really long drag ahead of me, up and down hills and over streams.  Almost a 2 hour drag kicked my ass.  So now I'm shopping for either a sled or a cart.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The second deer I killed was a very nice doe.  I was way back in the swamps with no path to get out.  My dad shot a buck that night too so I was alone in getting her out.  It was damn cold that night, like mid 20's with a coldfront rolling through.  The river hadn't iced up yet so I just tied a rope around her walked down the river floating her out.  It was fucking terrible.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a chest harness I can put on when I can't use my ATV, it has a D ring in the lower middle of my back and a tow rope I can tie off on the antlers or the neck.  It frees my hands up and makes dragging one way easier, adding a tarp would probably help too.
View Quote

I just do this.  Field dress it and pull it out.  On the tow rope, don't use multiple feet in ength, make it short so that when you are hauling you have the front half of the deer off the ground.

It can be a good workout, but just stop and take a break if you need to.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a "Deer Retrieval Kit" I made up.  Pulley on the tree, pulley on the antler, I pull down, deer goes up.

Here's some pics:

This one was 150 pounds dressed and I took him from the bottom of the hill to the top.  The steeper the hill, the easier the drag, less contact surface and gravity helping you.  I'm 41 and out of shape and can still do it in about 3 hours, but I feel it the next day.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top