Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2015 11:13:07 AM EDT
im in the market for a new hunting knife. i would like something fixed blade around $100. it would be used for white tale deer. what would you guys recomend?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Esee 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Cold Steel Master Hunter.
Within your price range and very good knife for the money.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Fallkinven F1
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Benchmade 162 bushcrafter though slightly above your price range
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:07:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used an ESEE 4 on one deer. too big i thought. good all purpose knife though for in the woods and i keep one in my pack incase i would need something that big.

But I've been using an Izula the last couple years to field dress whitetail. perfect size IMO. I've also used a Kershaw Cryo. an Esee 3 would also be a good option.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner.

(Not my picture, but same knife)
It looked bigger in all the pictures I had seen before buying it. However after getting it, it was the perfect size in my opinion. I wish you could have the option of the leather sheath or kydex when buying. So if you want the leather sheath get the diamond wood model.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
ESEE 3
ESEE Izula
Becker BK 14
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend the money and get a custom knife and be done with it.  This is made out of my grandfather's hoof rasp.  It was in the $500+ range, but worth every penny.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spend the money and get a custom knife and be done with it.  This is made out of my grandfather's hoof rasp.  It was in the $500+ range, but worth every penny.

<a href="http://s679.photobucket.com/user/texas45/media/20150208_062214_zps5hwcf4mh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/texas45/20150208_062214_zps5hwcf4mh.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is fantastic, and priceless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s679.photobucket.com/user/texas45/media/20150208_062214_zps5hwcf4mh.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/texas45/20150208_062214_zps5hwcf4mh.jpg</a>

I'm lucky, I have a great knife maker less then an hour from me.  Of course lucky is not the word my wife uses.  I waited 11 months for my name to come up on his list.  I was lucky, he stopped taking orders soon after he completed mine.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was money WELL spent.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, nice. Who was the maker?

If you can get a hold of a james largent knife, we are huge fans of those. Seems like a shame to use them though, he makes some gorgeous knives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've used an ESEE 4 on one deer. too big i thought. good all purpose knife though for in the woods and i keep one in my pack incase i would need something that big.

But I've been using an Izula the last couple years to field dress whitetail. perfect size IMO. I've also used a Kershaw Cryo. an Esee 3 would also be a good option.

View Quote

Seconds on the Izula if you're sold on a fixed blade, but I don't understand why so many people recommend such large knives.  I've never needed any knife larger than a couple of inches, however I do carry a pack saw for the pelvis, legs, etc.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Seconds on the Izula if you're sold on a fixed blade, but I don't understand why so many people recommend such large knives.  I've never needed any knife larger than a couple of inches, however I do carry a pack saw for the pelvis, legs, etc.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

benchmade also makes another one called the Canyon Hunter, it's smaller, however I don't feel the one I have is all that big.

Mine that I'm holding

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow, nice. Who was the maker?

If you can get a hold of a james largent knife, we are huge fans of those. Seems like a shame to use them though, he makes some gorgeous knives.
View Quote

Smith and Sons, Sulphur, La.  Mom, Pop and two sons is all that works in the shop.  Just about everything is hand forged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got many a knife, but my knives of Alaska is my favorite. I can usually dress 3 or so deer or an elk without sharpening
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a $14 mora. After almost loosing my $100 knife I opted for the cheap route then I don't feel bad if something happens to it
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought my knife at the end of the season so I've not had a chance to put it to use yet. It's made by a guy named Ted Hearn in Arkansas. I'll be the first to say I don't know a lot about knives, but when I told him what I wanted and what if use it for, this is the direction he pointed me.  While it's not as nice as the high dollar hand made knives I think it will serve me well. And at $80 if it ends up to be garbage, then I will have learned my lesson and move forward with more knowledge.

Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do too. Especially after rehandling mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics?  I've heard good things about the Cold Steel Master Hunter, but I can't stand the rubber handles on their knives.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My Randall # 5 6" is good enough for me...........
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#23]
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
im in the market for a new hunting knife. i would like something fixed blade around $100. it would be used for white tale deer. what would you guys recomend?
View Quote

I think a lot of Knives of Alaska scary sharp out of the box and stay that way a long time with the D2 tool steel
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is the answer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 8:14:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Buck 119

Outstanding classic for those who prefer 6" blades.

I actually own 2 of them... First one (which I still use on 95% of my hunts) was a gift from my Grandfather on my first hunting trip...  I bought a 2nd 20+ years later when the sheath for my original one failed and I was unable to find a replacement.  Said replacement sheath was located and obtained just prior to that season, so the spare is still un-bloodied.

Holds an edge after several dressings/boning/processing...  Is strong/heavy enough to split sternum and pelvis with relative ease.

Might not be the latest & greatest, but absolutely works for its intended purpose, disassembling deer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been thru a lot of hunting knives. My preference is for D2 steel in a fixed blade or a folder. As much as I'd like to have a Randall, a Blackjack serves me just fine. Currently I have a Blackjack 125 and another Blackjack that's almost the exact same profile as my old US made Uncle Henry Golden Spike.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#29]
you boys will stop spending big money on hunting knives after one or two go missing up on the mountain
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#30]
So true! I've got a ZT Strider fixed blade that I refuse to pack with me anymore, and that one was way cheaper than some of the custom options being thrown out there. I pack a $40 Buck knife for cleaning whitetails. If I lose it, boohoo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

benchmade also makes another one called the Canyon Hunter, it's smaller, however I don't feel the one I have is all that big.

Mine that I'm holding

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5bcbeqp6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine that I'm holding

http://i1324.photobucket.com/albums/u618/jokermann77/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps5bcbeqp6.jpg

Ive got a canyon hunter and its great. Super sharp. If you get the brown handles, you get a really nice leather sheath instead of kydex.
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Ive got a canyon hunter and its great. Super sharp. If you get the brown handles, you get a really nice leather sheath instead of kydex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine that I'm holding

I debated on getting the Canyon Hunter or the Saddle Mountain Skinner that I have, I ended up going with the Skinner. I also debated on the diamond wood or the G10 but ended up going with the G10 because I really just liked how it looked. I almost went with the diamond wood just for the sheath, but decided I could probably get a different sheath down the road.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

I feel the same way about my ESEE 4, to big and thick of a blade for my taste. Good if you need to split the pelvis or ribs or something, but I like something thinner for my field dress. A carpenter's knife with a carpet blade is a great way to gut and never have to worry about sharpening. I have three knives in my pack, the Mora firestarter (second favorite for field dress), a construction knife, and my ESEE. Now if I'm going to be hiking a long way, I just bring the ESEE.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The simple solution is to not leave your knife on the mountain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
you boys will stop spending big money on hunting knives after one or two go missing up on the mountain

The simple solution is to not leave your knife on the mountain.

Been carrying good Knives for 20 years.  The only one I lost was the one I gave to my 8 year old daughter to carry back to the truck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Esee 3 or Izula 2
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#38]
I know you said fixed blade, but you said whitetail.

All you need and all I have ever used:
http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/LST-Knife_46009

I taught several kids to field dress with em.  I've given away two or three handfuls to kids for hunting.  Impressed a few fellow hunters actually field dressing with em.  I'm of the "you don't need a big honking 5 or 6 inch fixed blade belt knife to field dress a deer" school.  It's 16-17 bucks.  It's light and tough.  You can split the brisket open with it.  It's easy to clean because it has an open frame.  It's cheap 400 series stainless steel but gets real sharp and holds a decent edge especially if you'll dress one or two deer.  If you lose it you're out 16 bucks.

That being said, I've bought a few Bark Rivers for gifts to my and the SO's kids.  I'll be using their Woodland Special this year just because.  They call it 3.2 Inches but the edge is 2 7/8".

Look at a BRK Woodland, Highland Special if you want a little longer blade or Fox River if you want a fixed blade and an even longer blade.

The BRK Woodland can be had for about $140 brand new.

Where I hunt and who I hunt with, a big belt knife is the sign of a rookie.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fallkinven F1
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the answer.

The guy specifically says he is looking for a <$100 knife. You are just bragging about your custom knife and not being helpful.

Its like when people ask about a good <$1000 AR and people are like "Oh I like my LMT, it works for what I use it for..."

Drives me nuts...

/rant
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The guy specifically says he is looking for a <$100 knife. You are just bragging about your custom knife and not being helpful.

Its like when people ask about a good <$1000 AR and people are like "Oh I like my LMT, it works for what I use it for..."

Drives me nuts...

/rant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the answer.

Drives me nuts...

/rant

You definitely have a point, I apologize, my mistake. Why not a KBar? sturdy, dependable, fairly common. Under a Cnote. But in my defense I only paid about $145/$150 for the Randall originally.http://www.amazon.com/Real-KA-BAR-Knives/lm/R255BF6A2LNMFR
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Cold Steel Master Hunter, $80 at Amazon

If you want the best knife for the money, get a Mora, under $20 most places.  Buy 2 or 3 and have spares.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X0LITQS?psc=1

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Drives me nuts...

/rant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the answer.

Drives me nuts...

/rant

The last Randall I bought I paid $75 at a yard sale,  I have bought more cheap knives then i can count,  Buy a good knife and enjoy it for a life time,

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Mora knife

Light, cheap, extremely useful and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you want an old proven classic that won't disappoint or let you down, take a look at the Buck Woodsman.
View Quote

I have a Buck Pathfinder I picked up cheap (I think $10) a while back and it would be a good choice too.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 2:21:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I built this from a blade I got from Texas Knife and the handle is part of an Elk antler and it came from Pet smart.    I found it in their Dog chew section.    It good enough for what I want it for.   Its my everyday boot knife.

Wolf
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Buck vanguard.   Made in the USA!!!

If you want 3 or 4 folders for the same price, get the Buck 345 vantage knives.  I have used them for the past few years, they are a helluva deal, and made in the USA.  They make short work of whitetails.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:27:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Call me cheap, but I love my Cold Steel Roach Belly. It's been one of the best skinning knives ever, and they can be had for $15 all day long.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top