Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2015 2:47:47 PM EDT
Just in the title, what do yall think? I want to build an 8-9" .300 BO tube gun (no interest in a .300 BO AR, think McMillan CS5 kinda) but if it's too short, I kinda want to jump up to a 12" .308 since the barrels/actions practically weigh the same...I don't really shoot past 200 yards at anything other than yotes or steel so I'm not worried about long range performance
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I consider the 300 B.O. underpowered, even from 16 inch barrels. I can't figure out the hype. Stick with the 308 rifle, in an SBR would be fine close up, if you must use one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I consider the 300 B.O. underpowered, even from 16 inch barrels. I can't figure out the hype. Stick with the 308 rifle, in an SBR would be fine close up, if you must use one.
View Quote

Interesting...most guys I know hunt with .223 around my parts I'm leaning .308 but ultimately, I think I'm just going to go with whatever I can get cheaper
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I hunted all last season with an 8" suppressed .300blk AR, got several pigs and a few deer, nothing made it more than a few steps.
I was using the Barnes 110gr VorTx super, which is THE best game load for .300blk.  Full expansion and pass-thru, wounds looked like a 30.30

Make good shots and caliber is less of an issue.

That said, .308 will have more energy at any range.

" />
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hunted all last season with an 8" suppressed .300blk AR, got several pigs and a few deer, nothing made it more than a few steps.
I was using the Barnes 110gr VorTx super, which is THE best game load for .300blk.  Full expansion and pass-thru, wounds looked like a 30.30

Make good shots and caliber is less of an issue.

That said, .308 will have more energy at any range.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2015/04/barnes-300-blackout-vor-tx-tac-tx-ammo-F.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/leid/Ammo/Barnes%20300%20AAC%20BLK%20110%20VOR-TX%20with%20TAC-TX%20FB%20Black%20Tip%20Bullet_zpsrmhinyfq.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20141108_120359_693-1.jpg" />
View Quote

Damn....I like. The build would be really slick if I did an ~9" .300BO but I'll just have to see what I can find for a deal. My only thing is that I'll have to get .300 BO dies for reloading and by that time, I could just download .308 to the equivalent
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 10:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn....I like. The build would be really slick if I did an ~9" .300BO but I'll just have to see what I can find for a deal. My only thing is that I'll have to get .300 BO dies for reloading and by that time, I could just download .308 to the equivalent
View Quote

If you're not shooting high volume, there are plenty of decently priced .300blk options on the shelf now.  Sure the VorTx is like $1.40 a round, but other supersonic plinking stuff can be had for ~$0.50.

You do have a can, right?

I'm almost curious to try out G2's new (stupid expensive) trident load, expanding solid copper sub.  Supposedly a lot tougher than the similar Lehigh expanding sub.

(Yes, it's THAT G2, but this isn't their stupid frag-tastic hole saw pistol ammo)

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're not shooting high volume, there are plenty of decently priced .300blk options on the shelf now.  Sure the VorTx is like $1.40 a round, but other supersonic plinking stuff can be had for ~$0.50.

I'm almost curious to try out G2's new (stupid expensive) trident load, expanding solid copper sub.  Supposedly a lot tougher than the similar Lehigh expanding sub.

(Yes, it's THAT G2, but this isn't their stupid frag-tastic hole saw pistol ammo)

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,f_auto,h_900,q_80,w_1200/v1/93059/trident-original_Fotor_qlvf9p.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://res.cloudinary.com/hrscywv4p/image/upload/c_limit,f_auto,h_900,q_80,w_1200/v1/93059/trident-original_Fotor_qlvf9p.jpg

Hmm the cheapest .300 BO I can find is $.68 And I've got my first can inbound but it's for my .357 to try my luck with the whole F1 thing. If successful, I'll go 7.62
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Those pictures are indeed enlightening. On paper, it just seems like an under powered Russian short, but, agreed, shot placement is very important.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those pictures are indeed enlightening. On paper, it just seems like an under powered Russian short, but, agreed, shot placement is very important.
View Quote

3 things I have learned using 300blk subsonics to take North Carolina white tail.  I grant you they are not muley or elk.  But muley and elk are not bullet proof

Shot placement
Shot placement
Bullet design.

game animals are not bullet proof.  The idea that one needs 1000ft lbs of energy to take down game animals is bogus and in reality means nothing.

I was told flat out by many knowledgeable ballistics experts, that there is no way I can ethically take down even a North Carolina White tail with 300blk subs.  Even after 9 in a row, and 4 of those with less then optimal bullet design.  I was still told it can't be done.  The one I did lose was not a failure of the cartridge or even the bullet. it was the failure of the jerk behind the trigger who rushed his shot and missed vitals.  But then number 10 was a 9 point buck using a cast hollow point.  it tore up his vitals and exited sideways.  The 25 yards he ran he sprayed blood everywhere.  I have seen, helped track, and help dissected Deer shot with .243, 7mm-08, .270, .308, 300win mag, 7mm rem mag, 280 remington, and probably a few more I am forgetting and I have never seen the blood trail like I saw with my underpowered subsonic cast hollow point.  I suppose had my one friend who used the 7mm remington mag not blown out half the ham he might have had a better blood trail but he sure had a lot of meat loss

300 blk supersonics can be used and used effectively.  now would I consider using one on a muley or an elk? maybe.  but I have a history of bad decision making
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Well guys, ended up with a .308 and honestly, I have no idea what I'm going to do with it I think I'm going to wait a while before I SBR it but I'm not a fan of the HS Precision stock. Luckily, I can easily flip it for about $500
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Good choice.  The only thing the Blackout does that a 308 doesn't is fit into an AR platform.  

If you're using a bolt gun, the 308 wins every category.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm like RDTCU and hunted with a 8.5" SBR 300 blackout with 110 VOR-TX the last couple years.  Plenty enough to kill the deer at the sub 150 yard range I see around north Georgia.  .308 might have more power, but I've never lost a deer using 300 blackout.

Link Posted: 7/19/2015 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#12]
This is relative to my interests, except I am trying to decide between 300 BLK or 223 for my 9 year olds deer rifle. He has really short arms and the collapsible stock is perfect for him.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is relative to my interests, except I am trying to decide between 300 BLK or 223 for my 9 year olds deer rifle. He has really short arms and the collapsible stock is perfect for him.
View Quote

I just bought an AAC handi single shot in 300 blackout for my 6 year old. 11" length but the lack of action and 16.25" seems like a perfect choice.  The threaded stick barrel was a plus!
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#14]
My .300 blackout upper should be in tomorrow.  It will work great for my grandson's first deer rifle.  Being able to to use a short stock AR will be great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top