Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I like the gamey taste
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I was sorting my very meager remaining stock of venison in the freezer, and I discovered a package of tenderloins that were hiding behind some roasts.  Score!  I sliced them into medallions, seasoned with a little salt & pepper, wrapped them with a slice of bacon and threw them on the grill.  Delicious!  
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a great thread.  I was unaware of many of these things.  I love venison.  

But, one time, I had a venison tenderloin steak, and it was absolutely the best meat I have ever had.  I am betting the deer was aged properly rather than processed immediately after shooting it.  This year, I will make sure to do that.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Last year was the first year I ever bow hunted, I also didn't want to spend the money on a locker so I processed the deer myself. I field dressed it and let it hang for several hours while sitting in my stand waiting for a nice buck to come along (I had gotten 1 doe, and could have gotten another doe several minutes later but decided to wait for a buck) so after several hours we drove out to a buddies garage and quartered it. I put it in meat bags and let it sit in a fridge for several days. I processed it myself keeping some roasts and back strap that I medallion cut and butterflied out and turning the rest into ground. I didn't have any gameness to it and it was tasty! I shall do the same again this year.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:46:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When you field dressed it, you ruptured the gut.  The processor was not fastidious about removing any piece of fecal tainted meat.  These bacteria continued to grow on the raw meat and are the source of your 'off' flavor.

Deer is NOT gamey.

Fecal matter in meat (and the associated bacteria) IS gamey.

Next time, take EXTREME care to NOT rupture the gut or stomach when field dressing.  Take more care to select a better processor (who make DAMN sure the fecal contaminated meat is excised and thrown away..

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fact is I don't really care for the taste of venison and neither does my wife. The jerky is good when paired up with some strong cheese but this meat in all it's forms has a strong to us gamey flavor very very similar to mutton or goat. Is it because of the age of the deer I killed?

When you field dressed it, you ruptured the gut.  The processor was not fastidious about removing any piece of fecal tainted meat.  These bacteria continued to grow on the raw meat and are the source of your 'off' flavor.

Deer is NOT gamey.

Fecal matter in meat (and the associated bacteria) IS gamey.

Next time, take EXTREME care to NOT rupture the gut or stomach when field dressing.  Take more care to select a better processor (who make DAMN sure the fecal contaminated meat is excised and thrown away..

TRG

This could not be further from the truth. Deer is very gamey. It depends on the location of the deer but here in Ohio, they are corn feed too and it doesn't help.

Some people either can't taste it or actually like it but deer can be very gamey.

I killed on deer. It was young and tender but it didn't taste good to me. I spent a lot of money having it processed into a form I could stomach. With time factored in, I spent more money make deer palatable than if I had just bought Black Angus beef.

I do not like deer. I can ALWAYS tell if deer in chili, I don't care for the taste. The backstrap is the most tolerable but if it has to be soaked in buttermilk and italian dressing for days is it really all that good?

I don't hunt anymore because I hate hunting and love shooting. There just isn't enough shooting in hunting to keep me interested.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I have really only been eating venison the past couple years. Last year the wife and I processed all 4 deer I shot. It is anything but gamey. Let it hang and trim the fat and its gtg. I do have to say I shot a yearling in error during muzzleloader season. I was kind of ashamed of myself when I got up to her and saw he size. However it beyond tender and great to eat, I would take another just for the treat.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Venison can be an acquired taste. It has a more rich flavor that I prefer to bland beef.

The way it is killed, how far it runs, if it is an old buck or in rut are supposed to make a difference. I find that if you clean it correctly,age it correctly,  and cook it correctly it all tastes great.  I quarter mine in the field, wash it all with tap water, then store on ice in a cooler for 4-6 days before I process it.

My favorite way to cook venison is the Alton Brown case skillet technique.
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
When I cook it for someone to try the first time I have found that you can't go wrong wrapping it in bacon and then having them try it later without the bacon. Give it a shot
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:46:46 AM EDT
[#10]
IF it's cold we plan on letting them hang a few days at the camp before we butcher this year.
gotta get cold and we gotta kill some deer first!1!
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
First, do a clean job of field dressing the deer. I've never had gamey tasting venison. I fillet the meat, no bones at all because the marrow will disflavor the meat. I have the locker make a bunch of summer sausage and salami and then just grind up the rest of it and use it in chili, etc. also, if there's any fat on the deer, do not process it. Throw it away. It's not good tasting like beef fat.
View Quote

110% correct! Knows his stuff.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you age it at all?
View Quote

this has to be done! It's the secret to getting the gamie taste out of the deer. If you shot a cow right now and cut off a piece of steak and cooked it, you would say "wow that's gamie"
All meat needs to age!
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#13]
All the deer I shoot are skinned and quartered within 2 hrs. Then either placed in a cooler on ice, or if I'm at home, in the spare fridge to rest for 2 days.
I debone all my meat and trim off any and all fat and silverskin. It is time comsuming. But my meat isn't gamey.
The first deer of the season is cut into steaks and any trimmings will be used for chili or soup.
I only use S&P and olive oil on my venison steaks. I never marinate my venison, except when I make carne asada.
I make cheesesteaks with venison and my wife absolutely loves them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Do not have it professionally processed. Do not "age" it. As soon as possible after the kill, clean, skin, wash and DE-BONE it. Wash the meat well with cold water, trim as much fat as possible at this stage, get a large cooler and soak the meat in ice water for about 24 hours. Pull it out, wash it again with cold water, trim any other fat and all white/silver membrane (whatever it is called, it contributes greatly to gamey taste, as does the fat and bone) and turn it into whatever end product you want (steaks, grind it, whatever) and freeze until use. If you bust a gut or the stomach, wash the abdominal cavity very well before you skin it. Do not saw through bones, learn to slip a knife through the joints, it isn't that hard and it prevents bone dust and marrow (very gamey) from getting on the meat. Only the hams are connected by joints, the shoulders are not like ours, they are only connected by muscle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife announced she will be hunting with my crew on opening weekend on Sunday.

A good buddy who I met on here lent me his 300 blackout for her to use and we sight in Sunday.

With luck we will each get a deer this year!
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]
My processor ages the meat. He's got a pretty good setup and it's only like $75 for them to process the deer. That includes $20 for cleaning and skinning the deer. All I have to do is drag it to the truck and drop it off. Some of the best venison I've ever had.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The posters that skin, quarter, and soak in ice, drain off the water and replace the ice for a couple of days have it right.
Soaking leaches out all the blood, and the meat comes out delicious.
I've tried it both ways and the deer that I processed right away without soaking was so bad I could only make sausage out of it.
I made some low fat deer lasagna a couple of months back and invited 2 couples over for dinner, between 6 people, we ate 12 lbs of it with everyone coming back for seconds and thirds. The women asked for the recipe, but I didn't give it because they would never talk to me again if they found out it was Bambi. LOL
Try quartering/soaking it for a couple of days, you will like it.
ETA, you've GOT to remove ALL fat, it will turn rancid and spoil the meat, even frozen.

ETA the Dr just made me give 50 lbs of sausage away, says my cholesterol is too high, damn, it was some good stuff.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#19]
OP,  cook low and slow, roasts cooked with vegetables lose a lot of gamey character.

Venison has its own flavor, as does lamb, goat, pork, and beef.  I like it well enough, but least of all I listed.

I am lucky to hunt by corn and soybeans.  My venison has a pretty good flavor.  What the deer eat has a lot to do with the flavor.  If they are west coast desert mule xeer, you will taste the sage and the juniper.  If they are cedar swamp whitetails, you will onow.

Remember, low and slow, plenty of veggies, cook well.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 4:04:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Allegro Wild Game.  Follow the directions, as the flavor can be overwhelming to some.  

I love it, but I only use it when grilling steaks.  Nobody ever believes that it's venison.  Super tender, and all you can taste is the marinade, which I'm not too crazy about, but I like the taste of venison.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top