Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 10:41:27 PM EDT
What says you? I would like to handgun hunt and this is the biggest hand gun round with a legal platform I own. Id be using the Buffalo Bore 125gr flat nose. I would also be hunting on private land with anticipated ranges being around 10-15 yards.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
When the .357 Magnum round was introduced, people shot much larger game animals than whitetail deer.  The penetration was key to their success.

Now, the bullet you are launching is slightly smaller, at an insignificant 0.002", and slightly lighter.  It will be moving at almost the same velocity.

Considering the short ranges that you propose, I don't see any problem.  However, I am sure that some one will come along and tell you that it is inadequate.

I say, go for it, if it is legal, and you think you can place the shot well.  Plenty of deer have been taken with lesser calibers.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Should work, I would use the FP over the HP as well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I figured I would need penetration more than expansion. Im also sure thicker skin with fur would adversely effect defense geared HPs...
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
If there is a Cor Bon DPX loading for it I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I am looking for a 357 Sig conversion for my Mk25 for a back country gun. I would be perfectly comfortable with it on deer and bear.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd argue "no".

The 357 Mag is great on whitetails....  with the right bullet.  Generally, thats a 158-180 grain deep penetrator/controlled expansion type, usually fired out of 6" barrels (and often 16"-20" bbls).  The regular 357 Mag with usual 'defense' bullets -  i.e. 125 grain JHPs and other expanders - isn't really cut out for deer.

The 357 SIG simply isn't available as loaded ammo with appropriate bullets.  And while I have no experience loading the SIG, I strongly suspect that it wouldn't do all that well with 150+ grain  bullets (limited case capacity).  Fired from the typical 4" barrel, its a long way from ideal.

I'm sure its capable of taking deer.  A Federal HST at 10 Yards in the lungs would work.  But the combination -  even with a 125 flat would be fairly marginal.  That 125 flat nosed is going to drill a fairly narrow wound channel.  treat it like bow hunting, and maybe you can harvest that deer  -  after tracking it for 100 yards....

My answer would be "no".  Go borrow an old 30-30....
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have rifles (a 30-06 and a 7.5x55mm) I just wanted to do pistol hunting on my friends land due to other land owners having structures near by. Even though I know I will need to pre scout firing lines to be sure of backstops, I just felt it would be better to use something with a bit less noise and less range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd argue "no".

The 357 Mag is great on whitetails....  with the right bullet.  Generally, thats a 158-180 grain deep penetrator/controlled expansion type, usually fired out of 6" barrels (and often 16"-20" bbls).  The regular 357 Mag with usual 'defense' bullets -  i.e. 125 grain JHPs and other expanders - isn't really cut out for deer.

The 357 SIG simply isn't available as loaded ammo with appropriate bullets.  And while I have no experience loading the SIG, I strongly suspect that it wouldn't do all that well with 150+ grain  bullets (limited case capacity).  Fired from the typical 4" barrel, its a long way from ideal.

I'm sure its capable of taking deer.  A Federal HST at 10 Yards in the lungs would work.  But the combination -  even with a 125 flat would be fairly marginal.  That 125 flat nosed is going to drill a fairly narrow wound channel.  treat it like bow hunting, and maybe you can harvest that deer  -  after tracking it for 100 yards....

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd argue "no".

I agree with frozenny that while a 357 SIG certainly could

Quoted:
I have rifles (a 30-06 and a 7.5x55mm) I just wanted to do pistol hunting on my friends land due to other land owners having structures near by. Even though I know I will need to pre scout firing lines to be sure of backstops, I just felt it would be better to use something with a bit less noise and less range.

Consider a shotgun.  Slugs or buckshot lose energy relatively quickly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say no

I've hunted deer with a .357 magnum ( 158gr hot handloads )  and I went back to using a 44 magnum

you can get a nice 44 Ruger superblackhawk for about $550

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
357 sig Speer 124grn Gold dots work great on pigs.  Here is one that is around 100-120# I dropped dead in its tracks running away from me about 30 yards away

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
For a 10-15 yard shot I would say it would be fine if you use a bullet that will penterate deeply and stick to broadside shots through the lungs/heart.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I say it will work fine if you can place your shots. And keep the range limited.

Deer are not tough critters to kill.  The same bonded 125 gr JHP bullets that make the .357 Sig work well on people will kill deer just fine.  And even if the hair and hide plug up the JHP a bit, that just gives you deeper penetration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top