Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2015 11:26:24 AM EDT
I've been whitetail deer hunting for three years now. I get to spend a lot of time in the woods since I'm a bow hunter (season goes from September to January). I own one of those commercial deer calls and after this past season I realized something, I have never heard a deer make a grunt or bleat or any vocal noise other than that dog-like bark when they spook and run off alerting other deer. I live on 10 acres and see deer almost daily on my property and also have never heard them make a call, even during the rut. I've seen/heard bucks sparring and clashing antlers, but never calling to does or grunting. I've rattled in bucks before, but never once have I been able to call in a deer using my deer call. Makes me wonder if those things even work. Anyone actually ever hear whitetails making calls, or have success calling in deer with a commercial call?

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes many times. Bucks, Does, and fawns.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
yup. Most common is a soft "bleat" like a sheep or goat
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard all deer communication noises,  most are very subtle.

OP  all the years you have hunted you have never been blown at by a deer...the wheeeeew?   That is a danger communication, deer do that at predators as well.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Many times I heard bucks grunting on still mornings.  I've killed several because I've heard them grunting and started watching that direction.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 12:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Have you ever been close to a heard of elk and listened to all the sounds they can make?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
yep, lots of chuffing, grunts, and low "bleats"
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes. Have you ever been close to a heard of elk and listened to all the sounds they can make?
View Quote

Yup, I've been in the woods early morning, the sun just coming up, all is quiet and peaceful and then twenty feet away a bull elk lets out a bugle so loud it scares the hell out of you for a second.

Good times.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup, I've been in the woods early morning, the sun just coming up, all is quiet and peaceful and then twenty feet away a bull elk lets out a bugle so loud it scares the hell out of you for a second.

Good times.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good times.

Was in a stand of aspen one spring when about fifteen cows went by and lay down. All sorts of talk from them.

Good times.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
In addition to the other replies.......I had no idea that deer will BARK.....I swear,from a hundred yards away you'd be convinced it was a dog.
I've seen it and heard it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are they barking ?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#11]
grunt..
bleat..

piss...

and
UGhh when hit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
yep, lots of chuffing, grunts, and low "bleats"
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why are they barking ?
View Quote

An 'alarm' or 'danger' signal........
At dusk one evening I was coming out of a field from hunting and my son was coming out on the other side of the same field.We were 300 yards apart and I heard a 'bark' from behind me.I thought it was a dog.I turned to find the source and several does had come out of the brush along the creek and they were all looking directly at my son.One of the does stood on her back legs and barked!I had never seen or heard that before.
When I met up with my son at the truck he said "Dad,did you hear that dog barking"?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:12:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I have heard grunts and blowing alot, the weirdest was from a 8pt I shot at about 125y. I hit high and broke his back,he dropped straight down and then roared very loud. when it stopped his head dropped and he rolled down the hill dead
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:26:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Many times - the one I hate is that blowing noise!
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#18]
yep watched them make noise lots of times
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a doe within arms reach and when she blew I got a face full of doe breath
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Though this was going to be about them walking and hearing it. I never have heard one when walking. Sneaky bastards. Hear them when running, have heard bleat, blow, and death noises
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#21]
In Virginia it's usually the sound of them bouncing off of a fender or bumper just before they hit the deck.

I have heard them do the 'chufff' noise..sort of a strong exhale I guess?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I have only recently heard deer grunts, doe & fawn bleats, and a sort of bawl-like sound from a momma doe when she lost track of her fawn when coming up out of a draw.

The momma's bawl had two syllables... kinda.  Started lower and ended high.  Like some folks end the last word of their question on a higher note.

The buck grunt was when he was running a doe and they were both in and out of my world inside of 5 seconds.

Right from the start, I've heard plenty of them blowing at me when they wind me however.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I have heard pretty much all of the normal deer grunts and bleats.  One day I heard a noise like someone grinding their teeth and it was a buck doing since then I have heard it a lot more in different deer.  I hear a snort wheeze just about everyday when the deer are in hard horn.  Summertime I hear does grunting for their fawns and fawns calling for their mom.  I have had success calling in deer with different calls, rattling, and using scents.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I've heard the noises mentioned by others, but like you I've never had one respond to a call.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Many times. Snort/blow usually means you're busted by a damn wary doe! Watch the wind better. Grunts while a buck is chasing a doe & just a couple of times a fawn bleat.

Have called in some by rattling quite a few times & fewer times a buck has come in after a couple of grunts from the grunt call. Rattling usually brought them in quicker and running. The grunt took more time usually and they were sneaking. Probably more have come in downwind that were never seen or heard, IMO.

Use calls in moderation. They have a use, but probably less often than most think. Watching the wind is more important with or without calls.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Many times. Snort/blow usually means you're busted by a damn wary doe! Watch the wind better. Grunts while a buck is chasing a doe & just a couple of times a fawn bleat.  

Have called in some by rattling quite a few times & fewer times a buck has come in after a couple of grunts from the grunt call. Rattling usually brought them in quicker and running. The grunt took more time usually and they were sneaking. Probably more have come in downwind that were never seen or heard, IMO.

Use calls in moderation. They have a use, but probably less often than most think. Watching the wind is more important with or without calls.
View Quote

II keep a rabbit squealer in my pocket, you would be surprised how useful it is. They either freeze when you squeal or hit overdrive, but if they freeze you have a second or two to make the shot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

In addition to the other replies.......I had no idea that deer will BARK.....I swear,from a hundred yards away you'd be convinced it was a dog.

I've seen it and heard it.
View Quote
Had this happen to me twice this past season. First time I heard it I was looking around for a dog.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

In Virginia it's usually the sound of them bouncing off of a fender or bumper just before they hit the deck.

I have heard them do the 'chufff' noise..sort of a strong exhale I guess?

View Quote
I had an 8-point buck do that to me once during the 2013 season. He came down a trail (I wasn't expecting to see a deer on) and stopped dead in his tracks about 15' from me when he spotted me sitting with my back to a tree. He made that noise twice, then bolted and ran off.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
I rattled in a coyote this past season. Yote came tearing into the clearing where I was set-up, eyes darting all over the place, but stayed just on the edge of the woods. Was a big one too. Guess he/she heard my rattling and thought it might find two bucks going at it and maybe one would be weak/injured and an easy kill. Once the yote realized there wasn't any deer he/she circled the clearing then moved off.

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Was in a stand of aspen one spring when about fifteen cows went by and lay down. All sorts of talk from them.

Good times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good times.

Good times.

All gossip, mostly lies.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Of course I have heard does blow when alarmed.  I have heard bucks grunt, once I was drawing back on a doe and heard a buck grunt behind me.  I turned around and saw this 6 point standing 15 yards behind me.  I was thinking, thanks for grunting.  I drew back and shot and missed.  Not sure how I missed.  Many times I have heard deer walking.  I killed my buck this year after missing an opportunity.  There was tall grass and the first buck came out of nowhere on a trail in the grass I didn't have time to get ready and get a proper shot.  As I was thinking in my head "too bad I didn't hear him coming..." another came up the same trail, crunch, crunch.  Killed him.

Once I was hunting at the edge of a steep ravine down a ridge about 100 yds from another stand.  My buddy was supposed to be up by the stand, but we drank a lot the night before and he didn't make it out.  I saw a nice big buck standing right near his stand.  I grunted at it, and right away three young bucks came to me on a rope, two forks and a spike, one after another and walked right by me looking around.  Big boy didn't move.  The third one stopped about 40 yards away and was watching right towards me.  I tried to draw on number 2, but he spooked and then # 3 ran away as well.  I would've tried to shoot # 3 if he didn't hold up.

Last year I grunted at a buck after he crossed to my side of the creek on my left.  He ignored it and walked all the way to the end of the field straight away from me.  When he got to the end of the field I turned over a can call once.  He went into the woods on the right.  10 minutes later he popped out of the cover just downwind of me.  He headed my way, but spooked before he got to a shooting lane.  He must've followed the ridge on the right to circle downwind of where he heard the can call.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Grunt, snort, wheeze, bleat, blow
Fawn bleats can sound like a baby screaming.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, grunts, snorts and other sounds.  They are very vocal.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#34]
every deer ive hit over the years with different vehicles all made the same noise followed by me swearing a lot
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I used to stalk white tail deer as a kid and they certainly make noises.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yup. Most common is a soft "bleat" like a sheep or goat
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

All gossip, mostly lies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good times.

Good times.

All gossip, mostly lies.

I just assumed that went without saying.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:43:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes spooked a buck thing ran threw woods making some god awful alarm wheeze snort
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Most amazing deer sound I ever heard was a tending grunt made by a buck trailing a doe nose right up to her ass.
Every time one of his front hooves hit the ground he let out a short "braap". It was brap, brap, brap, brap, brap, brap,
brap, brap BOOM, flop.......
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I've heard these as well as a buck pawing at the ground nervously.  I could see him move briefly through the brush to be aware of him.   We both knew the other was there but neither of us exposed ourselves.  It was a draw.  My hearing lacks a lot to be desired though.  At times a marching band could perform behind me and I wouldn't know.  I hunted a real wet place years ago which was a lot of fun.  The water was deep enough that you could hear them walking for some distance.  Was kinda unfair.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:36:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I hear deer all the time. Most of the noises they make are low volume and short so you have to be fairly close to hear it usually. Yeah, rutting bucks make loud grunts and who hasn't heard a deer blow when jumped or get your wind. Does "talk" to their fawns a lot and I've found fawns are generally pretty vocal.
  As far as deer responding to your calls, it depends on the deer. If every body calls fewer deer will respond because they've heard it before and spotted your buddy leaning against a tree with a grunt call in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Generally, some deer respond some don't. Kind of like if you yell "Hey" at somebody, some will look at you and walk away quietly and some deer will come at you with a "you talkin' to me!" look on their face.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:20:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Heard them "bleat" like a sheep.  My dad said that was a nervous younger deer that smelled me and wasn't sure what was going on.  I didn't have a clue, never heard it before.

Heard them "blow", like they're trying to clear out their nose so they can smell you better.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Have heard deer grunt and snort.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Been so close a few times I could hear their stomachs churning. Yes they actually grunt, weeze, snort, etc. Seen a few fights too. None of it ever gets old.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep, heard 'em all. Usually hear them early morning or just before dark, when the deer are moving to/from bedding areas.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#48]
yup... They talk to me...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
yup... They talk to me...
View Quote

I hear them begging to be dredged in flour and fried, then covered in gravy.
damn, now I'm hungry again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I need to learn how to post a link
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top