Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2015 10:51:02 AM EDT
Found shed hunting stuck in the ground. Looks to me like it did not open as intended.

What say you

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a Rage two blade.

Non-deployed blades.. Did the arrow look like it was shot into the ground? Or could it have fallen out of a quiver?

Those glades open pretty easy..
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a Rage two blade.

Non-deployed blades.. Did the arrow look like it was shot into the ground? Or could it have fallen out of a quiver?

Those glades open pretty easy..
View Quote

It was shoot in the ground dug it out with my pocket knife.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not good! Hopefully it didn't hit a deer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like to me it was either dropped or someone dropped it and someone else found it and stuck it in the ground as a marker.
Typical practice on public ground.
The shock color on the blades hasn't let go of the blades so doesn't appear to be shot from a bow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Looks like to me it was either dropped or someone dropped it and someone else found it and stuck it in the ground as a marker.
The shock color on the blades hasn't let go of the blades so doesn't appear to be shot from a bow.
View Quote

Those blades deploy on impact not release.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was definitely shot into the ground no doubt about it
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#7]
odds are it did not open as intended.  With mechanical broad heads there are a lot of great advertising campaigns, and a lot more shitty designs.  My group of friends has tried most of them.  A lot of them fail.  That sliding broad head design is one of the crappy ones.  It works most of the time, but most of the time isn't good enough.  I know that most of us would be pretty pissed off at bullets that opened or expanded 80% of the time.  I cannot figure out why we accept broad heads thats likewise fail a good percentage of time
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The orange head is for the crossbow version.  All that happens to deploy the blades is that they move the o-ring.  It does not have a shock collar.  If it hit a deer, you would know, it would be bloody.

Mechanicals are more effective than fixed blades for deer.

So which type performed best? Over the entire 24-year span, hunters using fixed-blades hit 1,066 whitetails and retrieved 874 of them, for a recovery rate of 82 percent. From 2007-2012, when mechanicals were becoming popular, the majority of does and bucks shot on the base were with mechanical heads. During those five years, hunters hit 230 deer with mechanicals and found 209 of them—recovery rate 91 percent.

Mechanicals proved to be more accurate. Hunters using mechanicals for the five years hit the deer they shot at 94.3 percent of the time, compared to 89.4 percent over the entire project for hunters using fixed-blades. I point out that all hunters in the study project were fairly skilled shooters that had to pass a proficiency test, and once on stand they kept their shots at deer close (mostly inside 20 yards).
View Quote

http://bigdeerblog.com/?p=2125

ETA: More and better info:

http://seafwa.org//resource/dynamic/private/PDF/26Pedersen_et_al_163-166.pdf

http://www.marylandqdma.com/files/Download/Pedersen-31-34.pdf

http://www.qdma.com/articles/high-deer-recovery-rates-for-fixed-blade-and-mechanical-broadheads

Looking at these last three comparisons involving mechanical vs. fixed-blade, it brings up a question that was asked by the audience at the Southeast Deer Study Group meeting. These comparisons involve deer killed with mechanical broadheads only from 2007 on, but with fixed-blade broadheads going back all the way to 1989. Is that fair? Could it be that the efficiency and accuracy of compound bows and crossbows are higher since 2007, after mechanical broadheads were allowed on the hunts? Andy, being an admitted data geek, had anticipated that question. He separated fixed-blade recovery rates into pre- and post-mechanical eras. There was no statistically significant difference. Recovery rates with fixed-blade broadheads shot from compound bows were 82.2 percent from 1989 to 2006 and 81.0 percent from 2007 to 2012. For crossbows: 81.7 percent in the early years, 80.0 percent more recently.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Personally I think mechanicals should be outlawed
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My rage blades open really easy. Half the time when walking thru brush. Mine are fired from a compound , not a crossbow.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
That's why I ditched rage broad heads and switched to swacker heads
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a rage not open once.  The wound was only about a 3/4" wide but the deer still died.  Only ran about 75yds.  

I since have switched to Slick Tricks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a rage not open once.  The wound was only about a 3/4" wide but the deer still died.  Only ran about 75yds.  

View Quote

Dlick Tricks FTW!
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dlick Tricks FTW!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dlick Tricks FTW!

I don't know about those....but I do love slick tricks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dlick Tricks FTW!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I literally laughed out loud!!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I keep wanting to buy some Slick Tricks, but the damned 100 grain old Thunderheads just keep working and I hate to just waste 'em. Plus, I haven't been able to bowhunt as much the last couple of years.

The Rage seem like they make some absolutely amazing holes when they open, but when they don't it's pretty poor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I shot an armadillo with a rage 2 blade crossbow head once. Blood all over the garden. But I never got an opportunity to shoot a deer with one. I do good to find a deer I can shoot with my gun, much less my crossbow or my now bow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top