Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2014 9:54:54 AM EDT
I'm looking to build an AR15 for deer hunting.

The three primary goals of my build are:
- As light weight as possible
- Effective range to 300 yards (powerful to that range, good accuracy, minimal bullet drop)
- Must use a standard lower

I've been looking at .300 BLK but that doesn't really seem to be ideal for these purposes.

I've also looked at 6.5 grendel and 6.8 SPC but I'd appreciate hearing from some folks experienced in these and other calibers for deer.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
6.8 and be done
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The 6.8 would probably be the best choice for what you specified. That being said, I personally don't like any caliber that you can't buy in wally world or a small country store. Personally, I would try to build or otherwise obtain the lightest 308 AR possible.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

6.8 and be done
View Quote
That would be my choice.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the 6.8.  I took an 11 pt. last year on opening weekend.  Haven't seen a deer so far this year.

Academy Sports usually carries 6.8 ammo.  I have 115gr Federal Fusions loaded in the mag currently that I bought at WalMart.  They still have a place on their shelves for them, but I haven't seen any at WM in months.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to play the other side of the argument, every deer I have shot with my 6.5 Grendel has not made it past 30 yards before dropping dead.  This years deer so far have been at 275 yards (verified with rangefinder).  But nothing wrong with the 6.8 either.  I just made my choice based on the cooler name as they are very similar cartridges. Yes I like my tacticool.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
a short mag.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not 5.56?  Is TX one of the states that has some retarded law about .224" projos not having ENOUGH DEATH POWER?!!?!?

Just put together a 14.5" pinned 5.56 carbine or middy upper with a 2MOA T-1 and you'll have a super lightweight carbine that can hit a deer's vitals to that range no problem and we all know it has a pretty flat trajectory in the lighter weight bullets.  Toss a 3-9X on there if you require it.

300BLK is great if you're running an SBR but isn't worth the cost in a full length gun IMHO (you don't get enough out of it over 5.56 to justify the 2-3X cost in ammo).  If you really feel you need MOAR DETH POW3R!!!11! then sure go with a 6.8.  At least that ammo is on the shelf at Cabelas.

A hole is a hole.  As a "for instance," 300BLK is 30-30 from the AR platform.  Anyone who doesn't think that a 30-30 will get the job done on a whitetail is ignorant.  Just pick whichever one tickles your fancy and then make sure YOU are up to the task of making 2-3MOA hits at 300 yards with it (you only need to be able to hit a 10" circle, after all).

All that said, if I ever see a whitetail at 300 yards when I'm out with my 8.2" 300BLK, I'd take that shot without reservation and I'm sure it would be as tasty as one killed with 5.56, or 6.8, or 270, or .338 LM or...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot a few deer with 5.56 loads out of my AR. I am over using 5.56 for deer.

I am going to build a 6.5 or 6.8 for my next deer hunt. The deer won't know the difference between the two rounds...
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:53:07 AM EDT
[#9]
6.8 SPC....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
6.8 is your friend.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]
.223/5.56 has been killing deer well for me this season. It meets your criteria specified and is readily available at most stores.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 4:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I shot a doe this year with the Barnes TSX 110grn bullets at 307yrds.  I aimed high for a spine shot or clean miss and shocked her in the spine.  I attempted this shot because I'd shot my rifle at that distance and knew the hold over and after 9 days of hunting with an empty freezer I was pretty desperate.   After seeing the damage, I won't be attempting that again.  I let her sit for two and a half hours while keeping an eye on her to see if I could fill my other tag but looked down for good.  She was still alive and kicking hard when I walked up on her two and a half freaking hours later.  I couldn't tell where I hit her and there was only a tiny amount of blood on the ground. In fact when we skinned her you couldn't find an entrance and there was no blood anywhere under the hide.  We found the entry point under the cartilage of the top of the shoulder when we cut it up. The bullet barely expanded and did not make it through the other side. A .22lr at 10yrds through the vitals would of killed cleaner.

The 300blk with Barnes tsx 110grn bullets is not a 300 yard deer cartridge!

Here she is after I cut her throat.
</a>" />

Edit to add- 6.8 would be my choice or a light barreled 6.5 (cause i've never seen anyone making one).
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
So because you can't hit the fucking vitals the bullet is to blame?

Got it.

This is why 5.56 "isn't a man-stopper" either, right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
That post has nothing to do with hitting the vitals.  It's about what the bullet will do at that distance.  There's not enough velocity for the bullet to open up as designed and that bullet was designed to open at 1300fps.   A hit to the vitals would kill the animal but you may never find it because there will only be a tiny enterance hole, no exit, and shit for a blood trail.

OP wanted suggestions on a AR caliber for deer out to 300yrds.  The 300blk<6.8 or 6.5 in that department.  I was just showing real world experience instead of fan boi hype.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That post has nothing to do with hitting the vitals.  It's about what the bullet will do at that distance.  There's not enough velocity for the bullet to open up as designed and that bullet was designed to open at 1300fps.   A hit to the vitals would kill the animal but you may never find it because there will only be a tiny enterance hole, no exit, and shit for a blood trail.

OP wanted suggestions on a AR caliber for deer out to 300yrds.  The 300blk<6.8 or 6.5 in that department.  I was just showing real world experience instead of fan boi hype.
View Quote

Did it not expand due to lost velocity, or due to hitting bone?

I've shot several things from 120-200lbs with the same load out of an 8" SBR out to ~120yd, and it's expanded every time and exited almost every time.

That being said, in a 16"+ barrel for deer out to 300, 6.8 or 6.5 would be my choice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe there's a better bullet for that range but the damage from what I consider one of the best designed bullets for that caliber was so underwhelming that you cannot recommend it for that application at that range.  It barely made it through the cartilage at the top of the shoulder. If it would of drifted and hit real bone in the shoulder I don't think it would of made it to the vitals.  

My point is it's not fair to the animal and not ethical to recommend it at that distance.  It requires a perfect shot and we all know that is difficult in a hunting scenario.  I had expected much more from the round at that distance and am embarrassed of doing that to that animal.  

The 300blk is a great deer round out to 200 maybe a bit further but people need to stop hyping it for what it isn't.

I get marginally higher velocities out of my 9.5" but not enough to matter in this application.

I double lunged this buck at 170yrd with the black.  Had a nice entrance hole and a respectable exit.  I never found a single spot of blood. He ran 70 yards like he wasn't even hit.  I'd never found him if I hadn't of went and investigated what a squirrel was barking at.

" />

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So because you can't hit the fucking vitals the bullet is to blame?

Got it.

This is why 5.56 "isn't a man-stopper" either, right?
View Quote

I don't think that was the issue.  I know skilled shooters can do amazing things with their firearms and I am sure you are one of those guys but the OP specifically asked about cartridges out to 300 yards.  Bullet wise, there are VERY FEW .30 bullets that will do anything but punch a hole or tumble through tissue at that velocity range.  The 300 Blk is not a 300 yard cartridge in the average shooters hands.   Regardless of your skill level, a deer shot with a 300 blk at 300 yards through the vitals in a non CNS shot, will likely leave less blood trail than a wounded Phesant running through the corn rows.......its just bad business and a good way to loose deer.  

OP My suggestion is to go .308 but if you need the weapon lighter I would say go with the 6.8.  

ETA: See post above, the low level of hydrostatic shock imparted on the animal does not cause the massive hemorrhaging of a high velocity projectile. This coupled with little or no expansion and the lack of secondary projectiles (bone fragments, bullet jacket, lead etc..) leaves little or no blood trail.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
6.8 SPC.  The right tool for the job.

Nothing else needs to be said.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:07:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The 25-45 Sharps has piqued my interest.  I just built a 300 BLK for next season, but it will not be my field gun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#20]
You can use a 6.8, 6.5, 25-45, 6mm-6.8, 6mm-223, and the list goes on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I understand the common caliber/buy it locally thing but if you look hard at the issue it isn't real critical for a deer hunting rifle.

Hogs yes as you might be taking lots of shots in a season but you just aren't going to be takeing that many shots.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Of the current offerings of calibers, the 6.8 one I would recommend.  a 6.5 after that.    I tried many different barrels and bullets in the 223 and it is very accurate, I find the light weight of the projectiles an issue.
Since 1982, after using the 223 for years, I often hoped for a heavier projectile to use in the AR15 platform.  I considered the 6.5 Grendal for years, but the proprietary restrictions by Grendal and the exorbitant price kept that from happening.
The 6.8 will take handloaded projectiles from 85 grains to 130 grain ..........and that is a very useful weight range for deer and hogs.  The recoil is mild to moderate......depending on how you load it up.  The factory loads are mild.
The useful range is close to 300 meters.  However, I seldom take a shot beyond 120 yards.  There is another website for 6.8 information that is easy to goggle and locate.
The Texas Hog hunting crowd down here in South Texas is switching over to the 6.8 on a regular basis.

I consider it a very good cartridge for a light weight AR15 platform carry weapon for hunting and home defense.  It is a great intermediate weapon for less than 300 meters and portability.  The accuracy is outstanding with the right bullets/powder.
The 300 black is a very limited application since it was designed to use 230 gr bullets for suppressed shooting.  The 123 gr bullets are an attempt to duplicate the AK 7.62x39mm cartridge performance.  And it does a great job of that.  The groups from a 300 black will be good....but the 2250 fps at the barrel speed limits it to ranges you would use the 30-30 for.  150 yards or less.  

I prefer the 6.8 for the light weight, recoil and outstanding moderate range accuracy.   One bullet in the right place is better than 10 in the wrong place.  I hate doing a bad shot and chasing a wounded animal trying to survive through the brush for hours.  It shames me when I do something stupid and make the animal suffer.  A one shot clean kill is something to be proud of.

Good hunting...........let us know what you finally decide.      BTW....Brownellls has quality AR lowers for $50............a very good bargain.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
6.8 SPC.  The right tool for the job.

Nothing else needs to be said.

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:10:03 AM EDT
[#24]
450 bushmaster

Why limit yourself to a standard lower? If you want long range just build a .308 and be done with it IMO.

6.8 is probably the best if you have to have a standard lower and flat trajectory.  Being that most shots are prolly well within 200 yards though....nothing puts them down harder than the .450

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like my 6.5 Grendel.  

Here is a pic of a deer my dad took this year with his.  It's the exit wound from a spine shot at 35 yards.

The nice thing about the Grendel over the 6.8 is longer distance shooting.  

To get the most out of it, you have to reload.  It's worth it to reload though it is addictive.

Either one will do just fine for the ranges you specified.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 11:55:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I agree 6.8
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#27]
A tip if you have never hunted axis before:  they will stand there and take that bullet like a hoss. Use something heavy that will expand reliably.

I've seen an axis take a shoulder shot from a 300 win mag at 100 yards. Just stood there, maybe flinched a little bit.

While I love 300 blk, I'd go with a harder hitting, heavier projectile than you can get from a 300blk super
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Either 6.8 or 6.5 should be fine to 300. 6.8 is a bit better from shorter barrels and at closer ranges, 6.5 is a bit better as the range gets further. 6.8 is a bit more available. 6.5 has cheaper steel case ammo available (or will be shortly if not here yet). I'm doing a 6.8 shortly for the same purpose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top