Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 11:53:48 AM EDT
Last weekend was our first gun season, it sucked.

I live on a small farm and have never had a problem getting a deer until this year.  Spent about 12 hours total in the woods and saw four deer (pretty sure it was the same 2 deer that I saw twice).  For me it wouldn't be a problem, I've killed plenty of deer in my life and put a couple of antelope in the freezer earlier this year, but I was trying to put my daughter on a deer.  The deer we saw we couldn't get set up on, my daughter is 11 and we have to get the gun set up on a rest to shoot.  In past years a bad year means seeing 6-8 deer per day.

We couldn't figure out why we weren't seeing any deer or turkeys this year, normally they are in the yard off and on all year, especially turkeys.  Last winter/early spring we had some dogs running the property.  They ruined a turkey hunt I was on and the owner said they were getting out and they couldn't figure out how.  I had a big project on the house and work has been busy this year so I didn't spend much time in the woods this summer and with corn in I can't see out across the fields.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon, two hounds chasing deer through the woods.  They ran through the bedding areas on my place and my neighbors and chased two does past our stand.  So I assume these leg humpers have been helping themselves to the animals on my place all summer.

Fucking irresponsible pet owners.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't see one deer the entire bow season here in NC (3 weeks long and I went every afternoon and have multiple stands). Sucks doesn't it  

Sounds like a normal day hunting in the south to me.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd gladly trade places with you.  The last deer I saw this year was on Nov 10 (a decent 7pt that I killed), and I've spent about 4 full days in the woods since and not seen a single deer.  I'm off work for a week starting tomorrow, so I'm hoping for better luck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
That's unfortunate to hear from a fellow farmer trying to get his daughter interested in hunting. We have actually had the same issues with one set of neighbors on the border of our farm. Their yellow lab and blood hound continuously evade their invisible shock collar fence and run rampant through our farm disturbing all the wildlife. It's a huge pain considering my family has had SEVERAL conversations with said neighbors and they always play the "I can't do anything, dogs will be dogs card". While I can't really blame the dogs I do certainly blame the irresponsible owners just like you.

I've been throwing the idea around to buy a couple dog chains and put a post in the middle of their yard and then chain his dogs to it the next time they get away.
Not sure if they would like that but I'm getting pretty tired of it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never personally done it but around my area it's known that if your dog is caught running deer, it won't be doing it again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Just like a coyote, I would destroy those dogs with extreme predjudice. Don't go bragging about it but if they are loose on my land harassing wildlife I have the right to dust em
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm actually kinda surprised the dogs are still around.  This started about 9 months ago.  The chances that a couple of basset hounds would survive that long in coyote country is surprising.  Not to mention traps, getting hit by a car, someone shooting them, one of them gutting himself on a fence or piece of scrap iron, or just getting its collar hung up on something.

If you own a hunting dog they will get out once in a while.  I really don't have a problem if I see a dog once or twice in a year or two as long as they aren't aggressive.  This is getting a little stupid though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just like a coyote, I would destroy those dogs with extreme predjudice. Don't go bragging about it but if they are loose on my land harassing wildlife I have the right to dust em
View Quote

"Hunting Accident"
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I will echo previous sentiments, destroy those dogs the first chance you get.
It would be one thing if it was an isolated incident, but obviously the neighbor has known for months that his dogs are getting loose and has not done anything to effectively address the problem.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#9]
It's been a much better year then the previous two which includes seeing a lot more deer.  One more in the freezer and I'm done.  I've shot dogs in the past if they were collarless and try to apprehend them if they do.  Some of my family this year planted one with a collar several days before opening day.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw deer like crazy during bow season - just weren't quite close enough for the recurve; if I still used a compound I'd be done for the year. Come gun season they just vanished.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Alcona County Northern MI where i hunt.Terrible season I saw no deer till I was driving out of the woods and saw 2 cross the road.They were small does.I set up a game cam Nov.1 and got several does on cam day and night and a coyote so I know they are there just not showing when I am on the stand.Last year was a bad one snow and cold wise.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It may be legal to shoot the dogs. Check your state laws.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I concur - get rid of the dogs..  This season we are having more issues with wild dogs.  Took my 10 year old son on his first bow hunt this year.  Wasn't an hour after we setup 2 does came within 15 yds - be he got nervous and said I will wait for the next one, cuz we could hear them moving.  Wasn't 30 minutes after that - heard howling - then a large rustle of leaves and a stampede of 15 deer flying past us, with 4 dogs chasing them.  Dogs will ruin your hunt every time - and not only that - the deer will eventually move on or go nocturnal if they are under too much pressure.  We spend too much time and too much money preparing the whole year for our hunting season - and I no more tolerate the dogs.  If I see them - I take appropriate action...  And I concur - your neighbors, being farmers should know better, and keep control of their animals.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
In southern VA all you see are dog boxes.  Yes they purposely run dogs down here and I hate it!!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"Hunting Accident"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Hunting Accident"

The three S's

Shoot
Shovel
Shutup
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Well at least you've got an excuse.  Me?  Just a slow season.

I'm all bow, I've never had this few shots at deer for how many days I've been in the stand.  Haven't had one buck that's even questionably a shooter in a clear lane despite a lot of early season trail cam action.  

It's a tiny parcel, but it's the only private land I've got permission on.  This year the farmers nearby always do work right on the property line at sundown, and they've been letting their workers hunt the edges this year in the event they're not causing a stir.  The one lets his dog run all over (this actually bumped a doe two years ago, found a trail leading to a bed full of blood near where the dog was walking but never recovered her).  My buddy wants his weirdo friend to take him out on his boat, so I've got this nut job novice hunter taking my stands, meaning we've not got 3 on this tiny plot plus the rest of the noise.  Weather's been garbage, weekly temperature spikes have crushed daytime movement.

I'll keep heading out with my bow, but it looks like I might get skunked this year.  

Four years ago I cut all the trails, hung all the stands, put in all the cameras, and turned this spot into a solid hunting microparcel.  Taught my buddy how to hunt.  Now he only comes out on the days that this pony-tailed interloper comes around, and otherwise it's practically the city commons.  It's time to look somewhere else, it's just disappointing that I didn't see it coming before the season started.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I have not seen a single deer this year on my lease.  About ready to give up and just spend my weekends at the range shooting with my non-hunting friends.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:08:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Deer numbers are down and Illinois is not the deer hunting Mecca that it was several years ago.  However, I have hunted my in-laws' place about 10 miles from my house and been into deer every time I've hunted there.   And their place doesn't have the habitat that mine does.

It's the frustration of putting in my spare time and money, for the past fifteen years, to make my property a place where deer want to be just to have some asshole's mutts screw it up.  I called the game warden (hunting deer with dogs is illegal here) and never got a call back.  Going out this weekend for the second season, hopefully my kid will get her deer.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#19]
my party did great, fewer deer out there but we filled out the 9 tags in our group with good sized deer.
I took 5 of them including a nice 9 point.
took these guys in the first 45 minutes of the season.

and a little guy I helped my 12 year old nephew get

all told we had 450lbs of venison. mixed 60/40 with pork and a bit over 900 lbs of meat
processed for for the season
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never personally done it but around my area it's known that if your dog is caught running deer, it won't be doing it again.
View Quote

This. Here in NY it is legal to shoot dogs harassing game. Luckily we have not had too many instances of this. One time we were in the middle of a drive found deer tracks with dog tracks behind them. We followed them back to a house that borders the ground we hunt on. We kindly informed them that if it happens again they would probably not get their dogs back(hint hint). Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I brought my fiance to the lease last week.  We had spent most of the week without seeing anything.  One morning after I get down from the stand I went to pick her up from her stand.  She proceeds to tell me that "all I saw was a coyote".... then shows me a picture of it.  I asked why she didn't shoot it, she said "I didn't want to ruin my hunt".  I had to explain to her that the coyote was likely the reason that she didn't see anything in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I've shot neighbor's dogs for chasing deer and would not hesitate to do it again.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've shot neighbor's dogs for chasing deer and would not hesitate to do it again.
View Quote

I like you iowaredneck !!
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

^At a certain point, this is the only solution.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I’ve shot dogs just for chasing my Ants cows.   We outlawed hunting with dogs in our part of the country twenty or so years ago.   The dog hunters sure didn’t like.   Dog chases deer, dog gets shot.

Wolf
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

OP, I hope that your second season goes better than the first!!

I'm taking my 15 yo daughter and 12 yo son out for second season in central Illinois this weekend.  This will be the boys first deer season actually hunting,  so I hope we can get one to come his way.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw one Doe opening morning.   Saw a Fox the second morning and nothing since.   A lot of pictures at night or real early in the mornings before hours.   I’ve got a corn feeder going and now I’m going to try something extra.    I just put out a feed trough for wild game mix.   I may try some rice bran too see what happens.  

Wolf
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#28]
The game warden called me back yesterday.  Seems my voice mail to her cut out and she didn't get my phone number.  She took down the info and will have a talk with the dog owners.  Hopefully we'll get one this weekend.  Once my kid gets her's I can go hunt for a set of antlers.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:36:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Check your local laws first obviously, but here in PA (as far as I know) if you observe dogs running deer, you are able to shoot them.

You could also contact your wildlife cops for your area and let them know.  I bet the threat of a fine/jail time will help the owners to come up with a way to keep their dogs in.

Edit: I missed your above post, looks like you called the warden already - good call.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Am winding down on my 3rd deer season ever.  Scored a small buck early and spooked a few doe in year one, never saw a damn thing last season. This season I scored a small yearling in muzzle loading season and got 3 doe last week including 2 in one night. I am hunting more of a traffic area and not a feeding ground and w e cannot feed or bait up here and I am lucky to find a nice quiet spot does not seem to be hunted by anyone else for the most part.
Still have a four more days of rifle and a week of late muzzle loader left, I hope to score a buck at some point.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I’ve shot dogs just for chasing my Ants cows.   We outlawed hunting with dogs in our part of the country twenty or so years ago.   The dog hunters sure didn’t like.   Dog chases deer, dog gets shot.

Wolf
View Quote
Man - those are badass ants!

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Alcona County Northern MI where i hunt.Terrible season I saw no deer till I was driving out of the woods and saw 2 cross the road.They were small does.I set up a game cam Nov.1 and got several does on cam day and night and a coyote so I know they are there just not showing when I am on the stand.Last year was a bad one snow and cold wise.
View Quote

I had the same problem in that area. Only deer tracks that I could find were old and I could hear the coyotes almost every night. We had a lot of deer on our cams through the summer and fall, but no one in my area have seen anything since.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 4:06:25 AM EDT
[#33]
My family has some land in eastern NC where it is still legal to run dogs. Deer dogs are generally nasty and smell horrible. The owners usually don't take good care of them and their trucks reek of piss and shit. Most of the dogs are worthless.

Unfortunately due to some family politics, the local club still hunts my family's land with dogs because they've done it for 50 years and my relatives don't know how to say "no". So the deer are always spooked. Hopefully my relatives will break the lease with the club and ban running dogs so that the deer population will come back.

I spent 4 days at the property and saw one single tiny (yearling?) deer on a several hundred acre plot of land. Then I come home to the suburbs and continually see a herd of 5-6 deer in the wooded area right behind my house that I can't shoot. FML.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 6:50:04 AM EDT
[#34]
So, you have time to get out in the woods and hunt for hours at a time and you're complaining about it?  The worst season is when you don't have time to do that.  Like me, now.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I've seen gobs of coyotes this year.  About a quarter of the mornings I go out, I see at least one (had a pack of 7 bed down 40yds away during bow).  Not been a good year for bucks, but I've seen a good number of does.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#36]
My son got a nice whitetail buck on Thanksgiving morning.  Then my tranny went out in my truck and that is that.  Still got tags to fill and I never got mine yet so yeah this season sucks.  Need a new tranny and clutch now.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've seen gobs of coyotes this year.  About a quarter of the mornings I go out, I see at least one (had a pack of 7 bed down 40yds away during bow).  Not been a good year for bucks, but I've seen a good number of does.
View Quote

Being a fairly new hunter I had asked about the gut piles and if they bother the deer. I got 3 doe in 2 days, and have yet to see another deer in over a week. I was told they won't bother the deer but bring in the coyotes that keep the deer away. Seems accurate?
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Well, we struck out.  I can still muzzle loader hunt next weekend if I can get away from work.  Not sure if my kid can handle the ML though.

As for coyotes, deer around here have lived with coyotes for a long time.  I've seen enough deer/coyote encounters to know that the deer aren't all that afraid of them.  I know coyotes pull down an occasional deer but the threat is mainly during the fawning period.

I think we've been hit with a bad winter last year, causing low fawn recruitment and die off, record harvests for the past fifteen years, and disease.  Couple that with the local dogs making the deer paranoid and you've got a crappy hunting season.  I'm betting it takes a few years without disease and bad weather for the herd to recover.  I can usually get a good idea of what the heard is in late January or February when they herd up and eat in our field.  Last year was 1/2 to 2/3 of what it has been in the past, I'm curious as to what we see this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top