Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:39:25 AM EDT
I guess I haven't bought hunting specific clothing in a while and I don't know why I was so shocked when I looked at some of the prices at the Cabela's website, but prices sure have gone a lot up the last several years.  I thought it might be a good topic for discussion since there are many who for one reason or another don't want  to not spend $300 or more for the latest and greatest camo parka or $200 or more for a pair of hunting pants or bibs.  It seems like there would be garments that offer better value for the money than the latest and greatest garments from the hunting industry's offerings.  If it isn't camo it's not hard to cover it with a cheap, single layer camo top and bottom.  For those who have gone this way how about some suggestions for quality insulated, waterproof, and non-waterproof  offerings that beat the hunting industry's stuff  for value for the dollar?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I wear leafy ASAT as the top layer.

Under layers then can be anything weather appropriate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I just use a 3D Leafy type Ghillie Suit and what ever comfortable every day clothes i have. Simple.
on ocassion I will wear some beat to shit camo if we are cutting wood, fixing fences, etc.. but only so i dont destroy my everyday clothes.
Most of my Hunting is from a stand or Swamp Buggy, Air Boat. If i was hiking long distance with a pack I would have more Camo Clothing.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Forget about Cabelas it's gucci crap for glamour boys.   Just buy earth tone clothing in solid colors or just get your stuff at sportsman's guide.   In Florida for me the trick is staying cool.  I usually hunt in an OD or brown T shirt, OD or brown shorts and rubber boots.   If I weren't wading though water I'd have tennis shoes on.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I own lots of Cabelas hunting clothes. I bought virtually all of it from the bargain cave or whatever they call it. Last years popular camo patterns etc.good stuff, pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I wear sweat pants under a pair of woodland camo chemical pants and a sweater under a carhartt coat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Carhartt and call it good
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Green Carhart Jacket(soft shell types) over a couple of layers Fleece & Poly pro shirt and Green Cargo/BDU type pants. I wear a blaze orange hat while moving even though it's not required here in NH.

I would like one of those nice Filson Double macinaw jackets but they to $$$$ for my budget.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own lots of Cabelas hunting clothes. I bought virtually all of it from the bargain cave or whatever they call it. Last years popular camo patterns etc.good stuff, pretty cheap.
View Quote

Yep.
There are some very good sales going on over there right now.
I bought the Cabelas Dry-Plus 10 point 4 into 1 Parka and Bibs last year for a total price of $179.
That's a lot cheaper than the normal prices they go for as the jacket alone was $179 before they put it all on sale.
And since I like them so much the pants were on sale last week and since I like pants a lot more than bibs I snagged them for $95.
That's quality waterproof insulated gear for a great price.
Shop.

Another thing to do if one is really cash strapped is to buy a good old military surplus M-65 field jacket for $25-$50 and then buy a Polartec 200 weight fleece jacket for an insulator under it for $50 or less along with some similiar Polartec fleece pants and your done with the exception of base insulated underwear.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is how you do it.  I've done the same from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, LL Bean ,etc.. This year I'm enjoying a very nice pair of bibs and a parka that I paid substantially less than the shock inducing normal sticker price at the end of last year's season.  Buy your clothes for next season during the clearance sales at the end of this season.  I mix and match camo patterns, so I don't care if a great piece of gear I find on clearance is only available in Mossy Oak or Real Tree or whatever variation is in fashion that year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Fleece lined carhartt jeans in gray.  Put some fleece sweat pants under those if you like.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Look at it this way, most hunters are required to wear blaze orange. So how is camo going to be any different in hiding factor?  In cold weather, layer dress with a gray,  green or brown color outer coat, then for pants layer dress again with the pants whatever is comfortable.

Years ago the thing was red and black wool coats and jeans. it worked back then, it will work now.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:16:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I wore a carhartt chore coat and their insulated bibs if it was really cold, or their hooded lined jacket and their jeans. Last year bought cabelas wool camo pants and coat/jacket. Is it fancy, no but it works greats at keeping my ass warm.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Local Mills Fleet Farm sells some pretty nice hunting gear that isn't terribly expensive.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Carhart jacket and bibs with an orange vest and orange hat seems to work OK for me.

The 11 deer over the last six years would disagree, but that's life, eh?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I buy Cabelas Gear when it goes on sale. It has always worked well for me. Their customer service is outstanding when something goes wrong.

Deer Vision

http://www.qdma.com/articles/can-deer-see-blaze-orange
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear poly pro underclothes, then cotton thermals, then some flannel and fleece and sweatpants.

My other most shell is camo...it's a big brown carhartt

I do have one piece of real camo actually. It's a waterproof pullover pant that fits over my sweat pants. I think unless it's 3d leafy camo it's a gimmick. When hunting coyotes in winter I wear a white 3m painters suit over all the aforementioned clothing
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Brown dickies work jeans from wally world ($22 a pair, carhart knockoffs), GI poly pro underwear, GI field jacket w/ liner, or GI gore tex jacket if its raining, GI pile cap. Cheap wally world orange vest or road guard vest where required.I used to be in the Army, but all this army crap should be easy to find cheap at a surplus store or somewhere like sportsmans guide. I hate spending $ for gucci gear thats just going to get muddy and bloody.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I wear leafy ASAT as the top layer.

Under layers then can be anything weather appropriate.
View Quote

That is exactly what I do.  I don't see the point in paying a ton of money for dedicated hunting clothing.  Scent control is also a lot easier when wearing a top layer.  When I get out in the field I take it out of a scent control bag and when I'm done hunting it goes back into the bag keeping human odors at a minimum.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I use mostly military surplus.   A lot of German Flecktarn.   I bought most of mine from CTD, now its hard to find.

Wolf
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My deer hunting outter layer consists of woodland BDU pants, green TAD fleece, green arcteryx winter hat. Cabelas/commercial hunting gear is junk.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My deer hunting outter layer consists of woodland BDU pants, green TAD fleece, green arcteryx winter hat. Cabelas/commercial hunting gear is junk.
View Quote

Up until a recent experience I have had nothing but awesome experiences with their gear, and I have hunted hard in it.

Like anything though---they can release a bad product.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't know about jumping in price, the same Whitetail Series parka and bibs that I bought in High School (saved all F'in summer) is still about the same for their M5050 or what ever that series is, and considering I still wear my suit I'd say it's a good investment.  That being said, I also have a 3d leafy suit that I bought on clearance.  I use it when the weather is warm, since most of my stuff is heavy duty. I also use it for spring turkey when jeans a sweatshirt are fine for sitting out. the same would be good for cold weather if you have some carhardts, or other ski outfits.  As someone said, most regular natural colors will work, but having some break up lines will help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top