Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 4:47:00 PM EDT

• 2 5/8x36” oak dowels
    1 3/4x36” aluminum tube
    2 6-32x1” machine screws
    2 6-32 acorn nuts
    2 3/4 black round cap plugs
    Paracord

I cut the alum tube in half, at 18”, I beveled the I.D. and debured and sanded smooth.
I sanded smooth the wood dowels to allow them to slide in and out of the alum tube easier, bevel the ends.

I measured from top of wood dowel down 8 ¼ inches and made a mark. Then make another mark at 12 ¾ inches and one more at 17 ¼ inches.  
I placed the wood dowel in tube to the first mark and measured up 3” up from the end of the tubing to drill a 9/64 hole straight thru. I used a V-Drill jig so I can drill straight thru. Then slide the dowel up to the next mark and drill another hole, and one more hole at the next mark on the dowel, 3 holes total. This is so the sticks are adjustable, if you don’t want to do this that’s up to you but this is how I wanted it.

Once the holes were drilled, I camo painted the tubes.
After the paint dried overnight I used the cap plugs to plug the top end and then tied para cord using a square knot, then tied the two sticks together.

I have 36 bux and my time invested in these sticks.
If you want to shoot standing you can make them taller by using two 3 ft alum tubes instead of cutting one tube in half , and using 2 5/8x48” wood dowels.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty nice looking, would like to see them in action.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sticks fully extended.

Fully collapsed.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I occasionally hunt from a chain-on bow stand 60ft up in a sweetgum over a big area.
I took a couple ft of rope one time, sawed off a couple small branches and tied them together as some rough shooting sticks, then left it hanging over a branch by the stand.
Finally needed them about 2 years later when a doe walked out at about 400yd.  They worked.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, most anything will work, I just didn't want to pay 80 bux for a decent pair of shooting sticks. I'm disabled so I wont be in a tree and all my hunting will be from a ground blind so I just wanted a little help making an accurate shot. The best thing about these is I can untie them and use them to walk with so I wont need my cane or a walker.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I made some out of broken carbon arrows turned out pretty dang good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top