Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 2:42:24 PM EDT
I've been using an app called Trackback Ultimate on my Android phone. When you enable Location (GPS) it lets you set waypoints. Each waypoint you can name, attach notes & pics, and navigate to from your current location. It was $3 or so.

The navigation feature is not so helpful. Sometimes it directs me to go in wrong direction even when I know where I am and where I want to go. However, this could be the fault of Android giving the app bad info. It also would benefit from having more waypoint types; I have plotted long trails as "hunting spots" because that' the most appropriate type to choose from. The app is useful for showing you where you are in relation to waypoints you've previously mapped.

So I can't be the only person using a phone app to hunt with. What do you use, like, dislike? Anyone compared a standalone GPS to a phone/app? Feedback appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Backcountry Navigator GPS.

I hunt in WI, and shooting hours are 30 mins before sunrise to 20 mins after sunset, so they change slightly with each day. I installed an app from the WI DNR called Pocket Ranger. It has all the hunting regulations and daily start-stop times at the touch of a button.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I put one called "Antler Insanity" on my Iphone a while back.  At the time it was free.  It has been updated
once or twice.  Easy to use and it works great.  You can input stand locations, notes, etc., but I initially
wanted something like it for sunrise/sunset times at specific locations, weather, and WIND.  It has a great
feature showing current wind directions on a map overlay of where you are.  I'll only pop the phone on
to check this once or twice a day.  Texting has replaced portable radios too.  For us anyway we only text
each other when someone shoots or someone is about to start moving/pushing deer - we dont really use
them for entertainment other than an occasional game of Yhatzee
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya we are all using txt/sms anymore I think, works pretty good even if signal is poor or intermittent.

Thanks for suggestions guys, keep em coming.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try HuntStand Lite.  Great app for stand spots wind direction and lunar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top