Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2014 12:08:09 PM EDT
I have a good knife and have a very good idea of what I'll be doing, just never done it by myself.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use one... Butt they are handy
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't use one... Butt they are handy
View Quote

Yeah, can't find any around here and I'm going hunting Saturday.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure the knife is sharp and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first saw one of those things I laughed. I thought who needs one of those things? Then I was in the southern tier and we were helping an older guy gut one. State land and he shot it right as we were entering the woods. Older guy so we decided to help him get it out. He had one. It took about 10 seconds for him to have it taken care of. I have had one ever since. They work awesome. And I have had the same experience with it as well. I went with a new group last year and they laughed at me for having it. They weren't laughing the next day when they saw it in use.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#5]
No, just cut a skin "tab" above the anus so you have something to pull on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Brand new Mora Heavy Duty

I won't be able to hang this deer to gut it, FYI for those in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will work just fine.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
double tap..
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#9]
They work great and the newer ones have the shield to keep your hands clean. If you want to reused it make sure to wash it otherwise next season you will end up buying a new one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
In addition to the knife, have at the ready a good tool for sharpening it, a stone or diamond steel.  Cutting through hair dulls a knife very quickly.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
DEFINITELY GET ONE. THEY ARE AWESOME!
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:48:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I quite like it for $17.  Bringing a diamond steel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#13]
use a falay knife.
also, hang it from the head when you gut, much easier
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:49:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Absolutey no reason to "butt out" your deer regardless. Doesn't effect anything to leave it in....you ain't eating the pelvis. Waste of time 100%

And never leave a deer hanging by the head, you want the blood draining OUT of the hams, not into them.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 6:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]
No you don't but I don't gut my deer so.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Absolutey no reason to "butt out" your deer regardless. Doesn't effect anything to leave it in....you ain't eating the pelvis. Waste of time 100%

And never leave a deer hanging by the head, you want the blood draining OUT of the hams, not into them.
View Quote

By the time you are hanging it up, the blood isn't "draining" anywhere. Don't have to take my word for it. Draw a knife across which ever end you are hanging down, bet you no blood comes from the cut

And why wouldn't you eat the meat from the hams? You know they are attached to the butt right?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

My butcher shop wants the deer gutted and I'm not set up to hang the animal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I like the small game saws  (skagen?) to split the pelvis and then "core the apple" and rip the butt stuff right out.  

The butt out looks like an awesome tool, my only hang up with it is this:   After its first use, you now have a plastic handle with ass tube on it.   And I don't want to put that back into my pack.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I've managed to gut ~65 deer without the butt out, so I am going to go with a "No."

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
You can do it without but why leave the shit inside when its so easy to remove with the buttout tool.

You clean it just like you have to a knife. And if it get caught on the tool take your gloved hand and remove it and there you go. If you dont use gloves just wash your hand.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I have killed over 100 deer in the five decades I have been hunting.
When I saw that Butt-Out tool in a Cabelas catalog I laughed my ass off.
Two years ago a guy was telling me how great it was.
He saw my doubts and he bought me one.
It works so damn good I will never core out the asshole of another deer again.
After I pull that rectum intestine out about a foot I use a zip tie around the intestine and then cut loose the tool.
The sealed off intestine goes right back into the body but since it is cinched off no problem.
I gut the deer and all is done.
What a good idea someone thought of.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I like the small game saws  (skagen?) to split the pelvis and then "core the apple" and rip the butt stuff right out.  

The butt out looks like an awesome tool, my only hang up with it is this:   After its first use, you now have a plastic handle with ass tube on it.   And I don't want to put that back into my pack.
View Quote

I carry a one gallon zip-loc bag and place it in there.
No mess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gut mine on the ground where they fall.
You don't need to hang that deer up for that.
I have even skinned a few deer on the tail gate of my truck.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure you CAN, but WHY?
we use the skid loader to skin and gut. but you could also do it with any thick tree branch and your truck or 4 wheeler.
I guess I dont understand what nich this tool fills.
we skin them first, then hung from the head , split the pelvic bone, a quick cut around the butt hole skin with a fillet
knife. then slice open the gut sack from bottom to the diaphragm.
then cut the wind pipe, and cut open the chest cavity from top to the diaphragm.
then just pull on the wind pipe, running the knife behind it to separate the innards from the body.
everything comes out from wind pipe to asshole in one piece.
takes less then 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#25]
No you dont need one its completely unnecessary
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I just use a knife and cut around it.  Pulls out with the rest of the guts.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

sure you CAN, but WHY?
we use the skid loader to skin and gut. but you could also do it with any thick tree branch and your truck or 4 wheeler.
we skin them first, then hung from the head , split the pelvic bone, a quick cut around the butt hole skin with a fillet
then cut the wind pipe, and cut open the chest cavity from top to the diaphragm.
then just pull on the wind pipe, running the knife behind it to separate the innards from the body.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure you CAN, but WHY?

Public land here means NO motorized vehicles.  Some places won't let you use bicycles or carts... I have yet to see anyone get nailed for using a cart though.

I don't split the pelvic bone.

Grab the asshole, pull, and cut.

Unzip the cavity.  Cut through a couple ribs at breast plate.  Cut wind pipe and start pulling.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I have one.  I thought it was weird too.  I picked one up just to give it a try.  I wont go to the woods without it.

As a couple others mentioned.....sharp knife.  The less hair you have to cut through the better.  Once you start that hole in the belly area to gut it flip the knife over and cut from the inside out.  Deer hair does a number on the blade of your knife.

Here is a great knife.  If the blade gets dull then change it out.  A buddy of mine had one and we used it to skin out a pig.  I picked one up and I have skinned out 2 deer with it already.  One blade is plenty to go through a deer and actually one blade will easily take care of 2 deer if you take care of the blade.

I also carry one of these  http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13220012&lmdn=Brand&cp=4413993.4414427

The gut hook on that thing is awesome.  Once you get a small hole in the belly area back between the hind legs you can flip that thing over, hook the skin and run it all the way up to the ribs.  Just like opening up a zipper.

Good luck

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top