Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2014 8:43:17 PM EDT
I been thinking about using my AR15 Carbine chambered in 45acp as my brush gun.   I was just wandering how it would do using Remington 230gr hp?

Wolf
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
It will probably pefrom as well as a light 45 Colt load, I would limit my shots to 50 yards max and wait for basically a perfect shot oportunity just behind the shoulder. Good tracking skills may come in handy too as the blood trail may be light at best.  If your have no problem being patient on a perfect shot angle I'd say go for it.  Also, if you can get ahold of some Federal HST, Winchester T-Series, or Speer Gold Dots they'd be a better option the the generic hollow points (this is also a situation where the +P loadings would be preferrable).
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
A good rule of thumb is a minimum of 1000ft-lbs of muzzle energy for a deer. Off the top of my head I don't know exactly how much energy the 45 makes but I'm guessing about 500-600ft-lbs for a hot load. Not sure how much better it would be from a long barrel. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend it.

Could you kill a deer with the 45? Sure. But its marginal. You would need short ranges and perfect broadside shots with flawless shot placement or the risk of wounding will be high.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Use a good, slow expanding bullet, keep the range short, and only take a broadside shot behind the shoulder. Youll be fine and eating well in no time.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Not legal here but used within reason and a good hit it will work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I've taken two smallish NC does
With my Oly 45ACP 11.5" bbl.
After the first one I changed ammo.
I now use 45 Super brass with XTP 'S.
Much better penetration.
A stout load of Titegroup
Gets it done. Use hard primers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
There are obviously better options, but if you must, use a heavy XTP load as opposed to any of the more modern defense loads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/153698_Would_you_deer_hunt_with_a__45_acp_inside_of_50_yards_.html
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
A couple years ago I shot my buck with my Glock 22. Heart and lungs were soup. This year I used a 300 black sub. I'd happily use a 45
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:02:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I wouldn't use it there are to many other good and better choices available.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Not an optimal deer cartridge but a heck of a lot of deer have fallen to the 44-40 and .45 Colt.  Keep the distance short and pick your shots carefully.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#10]
if you have ever cleaned a deer you will see they are no more resilient to bullets then a human with a winter coat on.
.45ACP is more then enough for two legged predators, its plenty for deer.
it has never been my primary, but I will often carry my 1911 deer hunting and use it when tracking.
have finished off a few deer for the in laws with it. 230gr Winchester ranger-T will be a through and through
shot inside of 30 yards and will bring down a fat MN whitetail buck.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I been thinking about using my AR15 Carbine chambered in 45acp as my brush gun.   I was just wandering how it would do using Remington 230gr hp?

Wolf
View Quote

If you're talking the bulk boxes of Remington HP, I would probably buy some actual defense ammo instead, where the bullet is designed to expand but hold together.  Get yourself some 230 grain HSTs, if you can find them, and then you're in business.  Keep your shots at reasonable distance.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wolf
View Quote

I wonder how much work it would take to convert it to .460 Rowland?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top