Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2014 7:40:16 PM EDT
I’m building my .300 BLK for deer hunting with a 16” Wilson Combat Match Grade barrel. I’ve been reading a lot about what bullets folks are using and most are in the 110gr to 125gr range. I won’t be shooting subs at all and I do have some 125gr Nosler green tips loaded with 17.5 gr of 4227 and some Hornady 110gr V-Max factory loads but for some reason I just can’t get past the idea I need a heavier bullet. I’m considering trying to load some rounds in the 150gr/168gr range. I’ll use either 16 or 17gr of 4227 or H110 with these bullets, or these.

I’m not too concerned about MV as I am about accuracy so whatever my gun likes is how I’ll load them.  Has anyone used this type of load to hunt with and if so what was your results and/or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I've never used this round or the AR platform for hunting before so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Thanks for your reply. I've read tons of data on reloading this round, I'm interested in real world info from hunters using this bullet weight and type in regards to stopping power. I'm semi disabled and can't really track a wounded deer far, I'm wanting a bullet that I can shoot super and be hard hitting. I know there are other rifle/round combos that would do the job better, ie 30-06, but the .300 BLK is what I'm going to be using.

Thanks for the links BTW.

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#3]
110gr Barnes Black tips.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
110gr Barnes Black tips.
View Quote

Yep...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Hornady 125 grain SST?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The 110's will work out great.  I took a deer last year with 125 Nosler BTs.  Just a little slower velocity, but also a little more mass.  I killed a good size doe at fairly close range (inside 25 yds) with a good double lung / heart shot.  Entry broke a rib, and exit broke a rib with approximately a 1/2" diameter exit wound with lung tissue protruding.  Just as much damage internally as a kill with a 12ga slug at similar range.  She ran about 20 yds on adrenaline before dropping dead.

I will use that same load again this  year, but would have no qualms at all about hunting with a 110gr load as well.  In my opinion, the key is getting a load that you know will have good expansion at the ranges you expect to shoot.  The 110 will have a little higher velocity at longer ranges.  The main reason I chose the 125 Nosler was that it claimed reliable expansion down to 1800FPS, which conservatively would have been out to about 200yds from my 9.5" barrel and would be at the max range I would have taken a shot.

Note that this table of lb-ft of energy on target was created with a 16" barrel, but within practical deer range for the cartridge, the 125gr had just a bit more energy than the 110 since there wasn't a huge difference in velocity.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#7]
the hornady sst is the only bullet I use. It is devastating on deer. releases all the energy it has inside. I use them in 300blk (125gr sst)
and 6.8 (120gr sst).  Can't go wrong with it for sure!
Damn shame they dont have an sst for 458 socom
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you jblomenberg16, so the general consensus is that the 110 to 125 gr bullets are the "sweet spot" for this round, (as far as a supersonic hunting bullet). How do you feel about the Hornady 125 gr SST? It has a lower B.C. than the Nosler green tip but I've been reading very good things about it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the hornady sst is the only bullet I use. It is devastating on deer. releases all the energy it has inside. I use them in 300blk (125gr sst)
and 6.8 (120gr sst).  Can't go wrong with it for sure!
Damn shame they dont have an sst for 458 socom
View Quote

That would be sweet indeed! I've gotten interested in the .375 Reaper also.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

3rd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A lot of folks like this bullet but it's on back order everywhere I look. There's a new store in Cullman near me, I hope they have some.

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thank you jblomenberg16, so the general consensus is that the 110 to 125 gr bullets are the "sweet spot" for this round, (as far as a supersonic hunting bullet). How do you feel about the Hornady 125 gr SST? It has a lower B.C. than the Nosler green tip but I've been reading very good things about it.
View Quote

Hornady makes good bullets, so I'm sure it will do well.  I tried to find some info on it and looks to be designed for .308 Win light loads, so should do good in the 300BLK as well.  I'd check to see what the expansion specs are and see if you can get data on how it performs under 2000FPS.  Like I mentioned, what drew me to the Nosler was their data stating performance down to 1800 FPS.

http://www.nosler.com/ballistic-tip-bullet/
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of folks like this bullet but it's on back order everywhere I look. There's a new store in Cullman near me, I hope they have some.

If you want factory loaded rounds and not just projectiles:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/430384/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-110-grain-tipped-tac-tx-bullet-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-20

The Academy near me has those just about every time I go. I've picked up several boxes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The Academy near me has those just about every time I go. I've picked up several boxes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want factory loaded rounds and not just projectiles:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/430384/barnes-vor-tx-ammunition-300-aac-blackout-110-grain-tipped-tac-tx-bullet-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-20

We have an Academy store near me, I'll check there when I'm in town tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOTS of Black Tips in stock
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm taking my 300blk hog hunting soon. I'll be using 125gr Nosler BT's (those green tips you're talking about) with an undetermined load of 4227. Why? Because that's the lightest bullet cabelas had, and the only 300blk powder I could find. I'm sure it'll do the trick.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm taking my 300blk hog hunting soon. I'll be using 125gr Nosler BT's (those green tips you're talking about) with an undetermined load of 4227. Why? Because that's the lightest bullet cabelas had, and the only 300blk powder I could find. I'm sure it'll do the trick.
View Quote

What do you mean "with an undetermined load of 4227" ? I have mine loaded with 17.5 gr of 4227.

I don't think you'll have any problem dropping hogs with that bullet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#19]
What I mean is that I haven't shot the loads I've made yet. Maybe 17.2 shoots better out of my gun than the 17.7 max load (IMR).
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I have killed eight deer with the Nosler 125 BT  in my Blackout.  29 to 187yds. Double lung shots typically go 40 to 50yds. One shot for each deer. I use them with confidence.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have killed eight deer with the Nosler 125 BT  in my Blackout.  29 to 187yds. Double lung shots typically go 40 to 50yds. One shot for each deer. I use them with confidence.
View Quote

Great, I have a bunch of those loaded up with 17.5 gr of IMR 4227.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top