Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2014 2:05:25 PM EDT
I live on 20 acres in the middle of Michigan forest deer country and I am looking to either throw together or buy a cheap hunting rifle for deer season. I have built many AR's (although they have all moved down the line) and so I was figuring on throwing together a cheap 1/7 5.56 16" build from PSA or, for maybe ~$100 less (or more) or just buy a Savage Axis with a scope (or similar) from Wally world. I have a stripped Anderson lower and a bin full of small parts and all the right tools -- but the simplicity and low cost of the bolt buy is tempting.

All hunting will be from a tree or ground blind at 100 yards or less. This will also be my only current centerfire rifle. Long term I want to build the AR lower up into a basic build anyway -- maybe this is a good way to do both at once. I had to sell all of my guns except heirlooms to pay for some major house projects. I don't have the money or desire to spend a few extra bucks to get something better -- I just need barebones.

Any guys who have BTDT have any advice? Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
you can judge your actual  hunting situation better than us.

While 5.56 will take deer, I personally feel MUCH better using .243 to 30.06 class bolt gun with scope...

5.56 doesn't leave a lot of room for error, so if you are shooting irons at 100 yards...    I'd worry about the success / recovery ratio

Also, If you have to buy an optic for your AR, you are in for much more than the basic bolt gun w/ glass combo.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#2]
When it comes to using 223/5.56 for deer shot placement is critical, so that being said if you're an expert marksman go for it.  There are some great deals on bolt/scope combos out there my son bought a Savage 308 with Nikon BDC for under $500 from Buds Gun Shop.

I use an AR (5.56) for most of my short range deer hunting <200yds and a 308 for anything byond that.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#3]
A bolt gun would be far cheaper

But not as much fun.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#4]
For the price of the cheapest AR, you could probably find a Tikka T3 in a good caliber.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like money is pretty tight and the goal is to hunt deer and also have a toy for fun.

To me that sounds like a excuse to do a road trip and hit all the local shops and pawns and look around for something used.

You start dragging something around hunting and you will ding and scrape it up some so why not start with something that had a few dings and scrapes ?

Instead of grabbing some plain low end gun you should be able to find something a bit better grade , possibly with optics included for about what
a new gun would cost .

Since you are talking shorter range hunting don't overlook a lever or something else
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:48:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I think it is obvious that if I go the AR direction I will be spending ~$500 minimally with a cheap scope. I found a Savage Axis 30-06 w/ scope, 60 rounds of ammo, and only 20 rounds down the pipe for $250 an hour away. I think that is hard to beat and I am going to try and snag it before it is gone.

Funny you mention the lever gun -- I am always surprised at how low pre-safety Marling 336's go for up here. I like them but would prefer something that is a little flatter shooting. If I had more funds (well, less projects around our new house) I would definitely pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks guys. I think it is obvious that if I go the AR direction I will be spending ~$500 minimally with a cheap scope. I found a Savage Axis 30-06 w/ scope, 60 rounds of ammo, and only 20 rounds down the pipe for $250 an hour away. I think that is hard to beat and I am going to try and snag it before it is gone.

Funny you mention the lever gun -- I am always surprised at how low pre-safety Marling 336's go for up here. I like them but would prefer something that is a little flatter shooting. If I had more funds (well, less projects around our new house) I would definitely pick one up.
View Quote
If the optics are anything decent at all that's pretty hard to pass up.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
you live in Michigan. get the bolt gun.

i live in georgia. i use both an AR/Bolt action.

ARs are much more forgiving down here just because our deer are smaller. i have killed several inside of 100 yards with one of my ARs and have a 100% recovery ratio..... but all  were does that weighed less than 140 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, the $250 Axis fell through but Dunham's, a local sports store, has the same gun for $270 plus tax, after MIR. So deals are starting to crop up in preparation for deer season. Looks like it will be a buyers market soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I like my bcm sam-r upper,  but I LOVE my Tikka T3 lite that was a third the cost and I shoot better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 11:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
223 will kill deer.  I am in Texas, my deer are like Labradors with huge Horns.  I use a 223 in brush and won't ever bat an eye.  If I am looking for a big buck, or anything over 150, I want something that can break both shoulders. A 223 62 gr TSX just cant do that, despite the fact that it is a GREAT 223 hunting bullet.  I have plenty of pictures to prove it as well.

You are in Michigan, your deer are like my calves.  I would elect a bolt gun in a suitable caliber.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm much more confident using a bolt gun than my AR. I tried using my AR last year but just wasn't comfortable enough. Used my dad's 7mm mag. Bought a Savage .308 and have been practicing and working on hand loads. Feel much better about this season.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I was in the same dilemma as you op a couple of years ago; looking for an low budget bolt gun and decided on the   Ruger American.  The Savage and Mossberg just looked and felt cheap.  The Ruger American is a much better built rifle for the cash.  Add a Nikon Prostaff on top and you have a very nice sub $500 gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
So I pulled the trigger on a Mossberg ATR Bantam (youth) 308 without a scope. Yeah yeah, Cheaper Than Dirt. So sue me, free shipping and the lowest price. I liked the Ruger American but it was out of my price range by ~$100 or so. Thanks for the help guys. Youth hunt is coming up and I think I may try to get my 7 yr old involved.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/7-G27245

I bought the one without the scope -- it was $30 cheaper and I think the scope they include is a cheap Barska. Figured I could do better.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I pulled the trigger on a Mossberg ATR Bantam (youth) 308 without a scope. Yeah yeah, Cheaper Than Dirt. So sue me, free shipping and the lowest price. I liked the Ruger American but it was out of my price range by ~$100 or so. Thanks for the help guys. Youth hunt is coming up and I think I may try to get my 7 yr old involved.

I bought the one without the scope -- it was $30 cheaper and I think the scope they include is a cheap Barska. Figured I could do better.
http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/824-DEFAULT-L.jpg
View Quote

Ban hammer!
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

http://www.kygunco.com/prodimages/824-DEFAULT-L.jpg
View Quote

I bought that rifle for my son (11yo) in .243. It's pretty damn awesome for the price. Shorter and lighter than the Savage Axis.

Accuracy.........stupid accurate.  I took the liberty to sight it in for my son....first three shots...under an inch.  I know, I wouldn't believe me either.......  Shooting Federal Fusion Ammo.

The scope, is also pretty sturdy. My son got lost on a deer drive in WV, and the gang didn't show up till 4 hours later. My son looked like he just did an Ironman while being attacked by a cougar, lmao. I asked him if he dropped his gun and his answer was "about a million times" Hahahahaha. We went to check zero, and it had only moved about an inch high and inch to the right.  Excellent. It's not pretty, and the glass isn't supreme, but it sure does hold zero well, and that's the most important aspect to me in a hunting scope.

I also like that the gun shoots the same in the cold as it does the hot. Went yote hunting 2 weeks ago, checked zero, and he blew the center out of the X at 100 yards from a duffel bag on the back of a fourwheeler for a rest. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>   The kid can flat out shoot, but but the gun is absurdly accurate for the price.

The ONLY thing I've found that makes it shoot a little funny, is on a fresh clean bore, but that's pretty normal. It much prefers having at least one round down the tube before the groups turn awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top